SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Version 2.0 of Journey to the West as been uploaded

A topic by maxvsthegames created Jul 13, 2019 Views: 418 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (2 edits)

Hi everyone!
Just dropping by to say that I worked an extra day on my game to fix some major bugs and add various features that I had started but couldn't complete in time for the deadline.

The game has now working enemy AI, two more playable characters, two more gameplay moments, a worldmap (only visited twice, but still...), two more cutscenes and a final boss!

Still pretty far from what I had in mind when I started this game two weeks ago, but at least it's a bit closer to it.

I don't know if many tried my game already, but if you gave it a shot, I think it might be worth it to try the Version 2.0 as well, since it's much much better than version 1.0.

This was a challenging first game for me, but it was fun! I might keep some of those ideas for an actual project later on.

Now that I'm finally done (for now) with this project, I'll be able to go to sleep and then I'll be able to start playing at all of your games tomorrow!

I can't wait to see how you guys implemented all those vile ingredients in your game!

(2 edits)

Sorry to bring this up, Max, but it seems a bit shady to update your game post-deadline with new content. I get fixing glitches or AI for sure, but adding content like new playable characters, a worldmap, cutscenes and a whole new boss doesn't seem fair (in relation to the competition, I mean). We all probably had a lot more stuff we wanted to add or change but still respected the deadline.

Sorry if this is a bit grouchy on my part. I'm still excited to try your game. From the screenshots alone, it looks fantastic!

(edit: if it was updated before the deadline finished and I just missed it then disregard everything I just said, my bad)

Submitted

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Rayluaza,  updating a game past the deadline is a bad look.

Submitted (2 edits)

Hey Rayluaza, sorry you feel that way.

I didn't intend to piss off anyone by doing this. My game was barely a game, because I had pretty much only cutscenes and every thing I had worked on the past few days had to be cut at the last minute because it wasn't functional (the map, the two other characters, the boss, etc), which is why I took an extra day to fix those and put them back in the game.

Really, I just wanted you guys to have a good time with my game, which was much less likely with the first version.

I didn't really think in term of the competition.
It seemed like a friendly gamejam where those kind of things wouldn't matter since we are all trying to make funny/enjoyable games for the others to play.

Hope you'll still consider playing my game.

(+1)

Oh please, do not feel sorry at all! I wanted to bring it up, just because it felt a bit weird in relation to the competition, but I still completely understand where you're coming from and, most importantly, you were told it was okay.

I'm sorry for bringing it up and again, your game looks sick! I'll try it out later today after getting something to eat.

Submitted (3 edits)

Well, it's my first gamejam so I didn't quite know about the rules and it seemed like a friendly gamejam, not a competitive one.
I was told that it was okay to make changes during the week of voting.

I don't really care about the competition to be honest. Even if it would be cool for the allies to stream it, that's not why I made the game.
I just wanted to make an enjoyable game for everyone to play.

The first version of the game was playable, but not really enjoyable.
This version is way better and I only needed one more day to make the changes, which is why I did it.

Feel free to not vote for my game if you feel it's not fair, but I really only wanted you guys to play my game and enjoy it.

It's all just in good fun anyway. L&R

(+1)

I get you, but making an enjoyable game was everyone's goal, except we all still had to compromise according to the deadline. But if you were told it was okay then i apologize for bringing it up.

And no, I won't abstain from praising your game. I'll enjoy it and give it an honest rating, completely divorced from the fact that it was updated. L&R

Submitted

if you were told that it was ok to edit than sorry for causing any problems!! 🙏🙏🙏

Submitted (1 edit)

Just noticed that there were still some big bugs in my game. For some reasons, you might be unable to use the stronger attacks for the three characters (Dodge roll, tackle and water bullets respectively).

Also, it seems like you might not have control over the character at the start of a level, but that can be fixed by Restarting the level from the Pause Screen.

I will fix those at some point and put up a new version, but I will wait until the gamejam voting is done.

If anyone played it and was stuck, you can use that trick above to keep playing the game, or if you are just curious to see the rest, you can watch a full playthrough of the game that I put on youtube here: