Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Genuine theme influence

A topic by Indigobeetle created Jan 24, 2024 Views: 219 Replies: 2
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

I don't want to be the grumpy old so-and-so (although I am :-) ), but does anyone else feel that a lot of the submissions are basically "I've got a game, if I say it's hard and therefore "overloads" your senses, then it fits the theme" as opposed to "ok, the theme is overload, what can I come up with that revolves specifically around that theme?" ?

Maybe it's just me, I personally love the part of taking a theme word or phrase and spending a few hours brainstorming how to make a game around that theme, I use it as a way to come up with new ideas, that's the fun part for me.

Submitted(+2)

Personally, the theme be quite difficult for me. Too abstract and nothing came to mind)

Submitted(+1)

I see what you are saying, @Indigobeetle

I think a part of it is that a fair share of jammers are still making some of their first few games and probably just haven't developed the skills to think about implementing a wide array of games quite yet.

I also think the theme "Overload" is more flexible than previous ones (like Ascension, Malfunction, Train, Rain or Shine, etc.). I believe this is the primary cause. Sometimes, I like to be really "on" theme, but also avoid anything that I think would be commonly implemented ideas.

I'd like to think that I'm in a similar boat as you--sometimes I'll care TOO much about the theme instead of making something fun. For this jam, I really wanted the game's main crux to be struggling with Sensory/Information Overload.