Jobs
Tags

I get the feeling that the median ratings threshhold is too high

A topic by rickgriffin created Oct 23, 2023 Views: 239 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted(+1)(-1)

Submitted(+1)(-1)

Submitted(+2)

I guess it's because "Play in browser" games don't need any kind of downloads, and since people may be a little bit lazy they probably prefer that kind of games over the ones that you need to properly download and un-zip. I'm kinda at fault too,  since I played most of the browser versions of the games that have a high number of ratings. But they really suffer with quality loss- the games are really butchered and feel like a watered-down version of the full game (like the last wizard tower), when in reality they are really good games.

So yeah, it probably has something to do with being able to play them in browser. Doesn't make them any less better, tho! ComaX is a banger.

Submitted(+1)

Yeah even though my game took a huge visual/performance hit in the web version, I still wanted to make my game as widely available and easily accessible as I could to get as much feedback as I could. Some people may not like downloading random projects, or some may only play online, etc. Browser games getting more ratings makes sense to me. Either way, I'm super proud of my first Jam, time using Godot and 3D game ever! Was a really fun experience and found some solid projects full of passion and potential.

Submitted

"ComaX is a banger" -  Thank you :-)

Yes, i think it was pretty lucky, that it runned without problems in browser and that Godot even exported it automatically so that it's playable on touchscreens. 

I agree, it's sad that you easily can miss great games because of that "lazyness", and people often get not the deserved feedback, just because it runs not in browser. When you e.g. consider "Making Friends, that one looks fantastic. But it has only 4 rates, Main reason is probably because it has 800MB, what would probably never run in browser...

But not sure, how this could be avoided. 

Submitted

I assume my game got more rating because of my thumbnail