SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Magical Girl Z

A topic by TheLastYuriSamurai created Apr 26, 2020 Views: 585 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted (1 edit)

Magical Girl Z is officially in Development

Time to announce the development of a short game for the Magical Girl Jam and RPG Maker Stay at Home jam: Magical Girl Z!  

Do you like magical girls? Do you like darker renditions of the genre while making fun of it? Do you like ZOMBIE FIGHTS?!?! Well then Magical Girl Z is for you! Meet Zelle, a middle aged office worker convinced that Bitch Sandra from HR must have slipped her LSD in her coffee because suddenly this dog is saying she must become a magical girl to save her city from zombies?!?

Contains:

-A turn based fighting system with custom battlers and animations

-An adult look at the ridiculousness that the magical girl premise is and a playful look at how the zombie apocalypse and disbelief mix.

-Beautifully gritty Pop! Horror graphics, perfect for this mix of genres.

-The entire game will have about 10 minutes of game play, and will be my attempt at a very short, but polished, game.

Adding some character graphics and the face graphics I edited to be more magical girl-like:

HostSubmitted

Holy cow this looks awesome. How many are working on that project and for how long already? It looks so polished :O

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

It's just me and my girlfriend! The art assets have been purchased from Vexed  Enigma and we're using whatever music we can scrounge together from online. The character sprite and face graphics are edited by me from the pack from Vexed. I'm not much of an artist but I can edit pixel art.

Contributions by us are the creation of the game itself, story, graphical edits, mapping using the graphics, placing music, the creation of the custom enemy and actor battler sprites(those took a few days to get right) ect. I brainstormed about the story a bit before hand, but otherwise this has been worked on during the jam!

I hope you all love the game itself! It's very rare that I create rpgs, so I'm hoping for this one to be quality.

Submitted

Quick note on this I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to make a title screen, any suggestions?

Submitted

You and me both! I always wait until the end to do stuff like the title screen. Your game looks pretty cool so far. I like the premise!

As for a title screen, maybe re-purpose some of the art? Perhaps use one of the larger portraits and compose it with the game title and UI elements. I'm not really sure how many assets you have to work with on-hand. I also haven't used RPGmaker in a really, really long time, so I don't know what it's capable of these days.

I wish i had a better suggestion, but I do this character art tends to be the most eye-catching. Plenty of games do use a nice environment or location shot for the title too, but that would probably involve creating or gathering new art. A shot of the main character's office, with a window hinting at the zombie apocalypse approaching outside might be neat.

Another funny idea I just thought of would be the dog character sitting with a Sailor Moon wand in it's mouth or something. Like, "Woof" take this magic wand!

That's all I've got for the moment. And sadly more than I have for my own game's title screen right now... XD

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hahaha I actually like your ideas! I'm seriously debating the dog one. This is the best I've got so far:

Submitted

Honestly, that's not bad! If the jam was on the final day, I'd say just go with it.

The only part that I'd consider changing is the gigantic low-res sprite. It could work in a pinch, but some with a little more resolution might look better. Maybe even scale it down to half it's current size or something. Just my two cents! It's looking good.

Submitted

I'm thinking I enjoy this one better!

Submitted

Nice! I agree!

Submitted

Wow, this kind of came out of nowhere but it looks pretty cool! I like the premise and it already looks very polished with nice art. How long have you been working on it?

Submitted (1 edit)

Just throughout the jam! The art can be found for purchase here: https://malibudarby.itch.io/

It doesn't include the custom made character sprite and face, or the battlers though. Those are custom.

It may help to add that the game itself only has 2 cutscenes and 3 battlers. Rpgs aren't my specialty (if its not obvious with the other games I've made). But I wanted to challenge myself with something new)

I love this idea. Also love that you're working on this with your girlfriend. My wife and I did a jam a while back, and although it can be stressful, it's great to play something you made together! <3

Submitted

Hahaha it was definitely one of the best things I've experienced in game development!

Submitted

My game has officially been released! I hope you all enjoy it!