SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Ithake - in the hands of fate

A topic by Vetetio created May 08, 2020 Views: 218 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted(+2)

Hi everyone!

So, that's my first game jam, moreover it's my first try in the game design regarding Rpg's, so my primary target is to finish the game, hopefully a good one, and it will be already a success for me. (Thanks for the opportunity!)

Anyway, my little idea come from a song by Clavergold and Murubutu, "Ulisse", about the famous greek hero, and his strong desire to explore, which kept him away from Ithake for years and years.

Every player will create his own greek hero. with his ship and crew, on the journey back to the common home island.  Starting together, they're scattered and isolated from each other. Every ship will make his own route, visiting different islands and dangers, encounters on the way back. IF they will ever come back. It's not only the death itself standing, but even their own will (remember all the time Ulysses was with Calypso? What if he just stayed there?)

At the end, everyone will commune in a central map his own. Same goal, different journey.

I will use this post as store of ideas, like a garage. Feel free to give opinions, and I will be thankful for the help.

PS: sorry for the grammar, I wrote this very fast, and it's not my own mother tongue.

Bye!

Submitted(+2)

No dice, flip a coin. Like Never tell me the odds. And maybe even for tracking the direction of the route.  For the distance instead i feel like using strip of paper, glued together.

Host(+1)

We are proud that this is your first jam and your first attempt at role-playing game design. Here you can find encouragement, advice and help.

Your idea is really interesting, Vetetio. It seems like you already have clear ideas on how to go about it. Please use this space for thoughts and questions; that’s what jam is all about.

Submitted(+1)

Thanks!

Now I'm wondering on the different archetypes I can give to determine the heroes. Maybe I'll see what Vogler has to say about it, but feel free to make suggestion if you like!

Another piece to make is the "randomness" of the route. I want to make it part of a "skill game", maybe something related to che flip of the coin

Submitted(+1)

So, I did it. I'm far to complete this game, but at least I made the skeleton of the rules, and this should be the most of the writing part. Now I have to look at those archetypes to make the "classes", really minimal and in a Pbta style, with a few of answer and choices-and the character is done.

If any of you has any advice- from graphics to design- please tell me. Like I said, I'm new and I have a lot to learn. Thank you.

Submitted(+1)

I already saw some grammatical errors: sorry, I'll fix them as I see them. I wanted to post the first draft early to take as many feedback as I can on the rules.

Submitted(+1)

Do not worry. You have until the closing of the submissions, on May 18th, to update all the files you want to.

Submitted(+2)

That's awesome!
I love the story of Ulisse's travel. I expecially love the story-inside the story structure of the Odissey, but I'm even keen on the Telemachia part.

I'm looking forward to playing it!

Submitted(+1)

Thank you!  Glad you find it interesting.

I put the focus of the game in two aspects of the story: the will to explore and live adventures (more likely to the Dante's version, flawed by his hubris) and the will to came home, the nostalgia, which I hope to link the memories with a mechanic of flashback (thinking home reinforce your nostalgia, which is also your "life points") and the background made by answer on the charachter sheet, similar to what dungeon wolrd do.

I can't wait to see your work too! Hope you're having fun doing it

Submitted(+1)

First Home/Exile character sheet is online!  This is just for example to let you know how they should be, I don't think I have enough word room for more, I'm already over 3000 word on total, and I have still the routes and the Fate sheet to do - they're not very long, but essential- first I do them, after I'l see if put another pair of Home/Exile or write an example of play ... what do you think is best?

PS: obviously after the jam I will complete with all the Home/Exile sheet I have in mind, beyond the words limit.

Submitted(+1)

Aaaand I've uploaded the last essential file (not least!) , the Fate sheet. I'm already proud because in a specific manner, the game is "complete". I mean, i developed a prototype, for the first time. I can't be not happy. And more, I like it!

I'm already at 3503 words, so I don't think I'll upload another Home/Exile sheet, maybe an example of a scene. If it's too long, I'll post it here, so who wants can read it.

But now, I'll rest a little bit. I'll check this post (and other's)  if you want to tell me something or only to say hi!

Good night to everyone!