Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Preferred Build?

A topic by KaaSnake created Apr 18, 2020 Views: 270 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

Hello, I'm KaaSnake. I'm still rather new to this website, and this is the first Game Jam I participate to.

I'm developing the game for the Jam as I write, and just had a quick question about the kind of Build that would be best to upload.

Would it be better to upload a Windows Build that needs to be downloaded, or a Web Build that can be played via Browser? I haven't tried releasing in that Web Build style, if it's better I'll start looking into it.

Thanks in advance for any answers - I'm enjoying making a game for this one! Just trying to make sure I do everything right.

Submitted(+2)

That's a good question. Both might be best but if you have time for it the web build might be nice (speaking as a Linux user) especially if people are going to be trying out many games & don't want to download too many.

Submitted(+1)

Yeah that's what I was thinking... maybe not everyone wants to download a standalone.

I'll look into getting the WebGL component, thank you again for your suggestion!

Submitted(+1)

I'd say go with whatever is easier. I use GameMaker, so my only option is a downloadable file, and that has worked fine for me, but I get that it's not like that for everyone. Go with the easiest option for you first, and if you have time, expand it to web or other platforms.

Your game comes above where you release it, so just don't stress over it and it will be fine!

Also good luck on your first game jam! It's a great challenge once you get into it!