Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Common opinions?

A topic by Void created Jun 25, 2022 Views: 337 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 5

what are your opinions on making a game on scratch, the converting it to HTML, then posting it to the jam?

Let me know!

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

It’s fine for making a small game, but I recommend using a better tool to develop games. Other game engines often have better structure and are also more flexible than Scratch. Reusing code and debugging is also easier with most tools than Scratch. Not to mention other game engines don’t have the limits Scratch has. (Like the clone limit) There is also performance to consider. Scratch isn’t the best at that. But again, if your game is small and if you don’t plan on developing it further, then Scratch will do.

Submitted (1 edit)

I think doing it in Scratch ok, but I feel like you're limiting yourself as Scratch isn't a very impressive coding language(clone limits, no 3D support...). If you want to, you could perhaps use a new game engine, like Godot, Unreal, Unity or GameMaker. You could learn something new!

Scratch can indeed support 3d. For I have done many 3d games on scratch

That doesn't mean it is a good 'engine' for 3D (or 2D in my opinion).

Yes it is complex but projects like crystal seeker are proper 3d

If you think that is complex then I dont think you want to see projects written in C with OpenGL. Not trying to discredit scratch though,  I have seen a lot of scratch projects that surpass scratch's reputation of only being for kids.

Submitted

but unlike game engines like Unity or Unreal, you have to do raycasting and all sorts of nonsense to make 3D in scratch!

You have to do raycasting in normal engines too (albeit only for shooting). 

Host (1 edit)

I don't personally have experience with scratch so I don't know what it's HTML export is like, but generally games that are exported to HTML/web get a lot more plays and traction than others!

Though others have added thoughts on scratch as an engine with some limitations, I think it's honestly fine for a two week jam, especially if you're learning how to code. Getting more experience in small or limited engines is a good way to approach game dev without becoming overwhelmed as well as gain confidence, and when you feel comfortable you can transition to others. Just my two cents having run this jam a while: I don't think there's anything wrong with beginner engines/languages or node based type scripting when it makes coding more accessible to a wider range of people who might find other engines too intimidating to really finish out games.

Deleted 2 years ago
Host

Something I've found useful for measuring a tool's usefulness is understanding the problem I'm trying to solve. Python may be useful for pipeline tools, but it's probably not the best solution for building an open world game from the ground up. Scratch was a tool designed specifically to teach young people how to program. This is a game jam for learning how to make games, often including learning programming languages. For this case, I'd actually say Scratch is a great solution for exactly this problem. Blanket statements like "[language/engine/tool] is crap" are counter-productive and if I can be honest in this case extremely uninformed.