Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How is the 500 word limit counted/qualified?

A topic by Zahdernia created 50 days ago Views: 238 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 2
Submitted(+1)

Hello! My engine of choice has a word-counter built into it, but I don't know if the way it counts words is the same as the way words will be counted for the jam, so I'm here to ask a few questions for clarification before I get any deeper into my ideas.

First question: If I show the same passage twice, does that count twice against the wordcount? Similarly, if I have a variable that contains a 10-word string, and I call that string in two separate passages, does that count as 10 words or 20?

Second question: If I have a string that utilizes interpolation partway through it — for example, "There are [number] days left until the party." — how would I count that? 8 times the number of variations, or 7+n, where n is the number of potential words that could appear in that variable?

Third question: Building off the previous question, if I have a small random generator for simple sentences — "[Noun] is too [adjective] to [verb]" — how would I count that? 3+(NumberOfNouns)+(NumberOfAdjectives)+(NumberOfVerbs) or 6x(numberOfAppearances) or 6(NumberOfNouns*NumberOfAdjectives*NumberOfVerbs) to account for all the variations? Or some other way? 

I've been so excited for this jam! My mind's been racing the past few days, searching for ways to maximize the 500 words I have in my little project. I've had a lot of ideas I think would be fun to execute, but I want to make sure I'm keeping within the spirit of the jam and I definitely don't want to assume that the code-doesn't-count rule reaches further than it does in reality. Thank you in advance ;; 

HostSubmitted

Hiya!

Let's seee...

1- The wordcount counts all the written (not-code) words for the story. So If I were to copy what's in the source file and remove the code, and paste it on a word counter, I'd get max 500 words.
For the string, we would count it as 10.

2- If only the number changes, just the string as is :) (so 8 words in your example)

3- How many times are you using that generator? 

Submitted

Thank you so much for the info!! This makes lots of sense!! 

Regarding the generator, it'd be used in one single passage of the story, where it would generate 1-3 variants of the sentence, and I'd like to give my player an optional button that would generate another 1-3 variants each time they pressed it until they chose to move on.

Thank you again for your time and for the thorough answers!! ^^ 

HostSubmitted

Then :  3+(NumberOfNouns)+(NumberOfAdjectives)+(NumberOfVerbs)

Submitted

Got it, thank you very much!! 💖

HostSubmitted

No problemo! Happy creating!