SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Changes to save game format in new version of Adventuron

A topic by Adventuron created Jun 25, 2020 Views: 186 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Host (2 edits)

Hi all,

I've just updated Adventuron to version 37c in the BETA version ( adventuron.io/beta )  .

Please be aware that the format of the saved game files have changed in this release (as a prelude to supporting new features).

This should only affect you if you are updating pre-existing games that you have either already uploaded to Itch. It might mean that the game objects disappear when you reload a save file The way to avoid this is to change the UUID of your game in the game_information {} section.

When you change the UUID, everything is reset, but existing save files will disappear from the list. 

Sorry for this  change. It's really necessary for what comes next.  I did think that it was better to do this now (before you post your games), rather than after the games are posted on Itch.

NOTE: If nobody is loading and saving games yet, you don't need to do anything. New players will simply start saving and loading in the new format.

Chris

Hi,

I have got problems  with SAVE and LOAD commands.... Sometimes nothing is saved in the slots (they remains empty), and another times appears something saved in the slots, but when I try to load it, nothing happens...

May it be related with this change? It happens when I am working in the classroom, and also when I compile, via HTML. 

It is getting me crazy, becasuse I am not able to find any logic... I thought that it was related with the cookies or something in the browser cache, but it is not clear now for me...

Host

Hmm, the change to the save format should only affect old save games, they should not affect new save games.

I've used save games multiple times with the new version, and just now actually, and it seems to be working.

I do know there are some problems if loading and saving on OLD Microsoft edge (the non chromium edition). Can you confirm you are not using that release?

If so, please upgrade. My understanding is the Microsoft is forcing all Edge users onto the new Chromium version of Edge soon.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/features

I work with Firefox and Chrome on a MacBook pro... The same happens with RAMSAVE and RAMLOAD...

Well, I will try to start from scratch with another code and I will do some tests.. I will keep you updated if I find out something new.

Thanks!

Host

Make sure you set up the game_information {} section, especially the UUID:

https://adventuron.io/documentation/#GameInformationSection

Some clues...

It is possible save only in the first 2 locations... You can LOAD  from any other location if the SAVE was made in the first 2 locations. If you SAVE in any other location, the slot appears full, but when you LOAD from that slot, nothing happens... Very strange... My code has got something bad. I will continue with the  investigations...

Host

If you want me to look at your code, you can send it to info@adventuron.io

If it's a bug in Adventuron I will fix it.

Code Sent. Thanks!!

Host

Please compile with the BETA version of adventuron here...

https://adventuron.io/beta/

Yessss!!!
Thanks a lot!!

Host

I've now identified the source of the bug, and fixed it, and it will make it's way into Adventuron in a later release.