Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Disambiguation fails when object id has numeric suffix

A topic by Garry Francis created Jul 03, 2020 Views: 117 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted

I have a large branch and a small branch in the same room. The large branch has an object ID of large_branch_04 (as there are other large branches in other rooms). The disambiguation menus are a mess. It doesn't seem to matter what I enter, I get a rubbish response. Here is a very simple example:

>X BRANCH
Be more specific ...
1. a large branch
2. a small branch
>1
You see nothing special.
>X LARGE BRANCH
There's a vine hanging from it.

Can I disable this completely?

Host

I'll fix it if I can replicate it, but struggling to replicate it.

start_at = my_location
locations {
   my_location : location "You are in a room." ;
   my_location_2 : location "You are in a room." ;
} objects {
   large_branch_1 : object "a large branch" at = "my_location" msg="LARGE";
   large_branch_2 : object "a large branch b"  msg="LARGE 2" at = "my_location_2";
   small_branch_2 : object "a small branch" at = "my_location"  msg="SMALL";
}
Submitted

My apologies. I wrote the subject heading before I wrote the rest of it. After further experimenting, I don't think it was the numeric suffix at all. Perhaps it's just that the answer to the disambiguation menu doesn't work. And if you ignore the menu completely and just start typing commands, it gets in a real mess. Do you remember we had a couple of games with this issue in the last jam? And Adam Sommerfield struck it in at least one of his YouTube videos of jam entries.

I've removed the large branch from this room, so I no longer get the disambiguation menu.

Host

I'd love to fix this, if you have time (only if you have time) can you try to find the url and timestamp of where Adam encountered the issue.

Submitted

Perhaps remind me after the jam and I'll track it down. I wrote about the confusion in the test comments in one or two games.

Host

I actually remember now, although I don't think it's to do with this.

It was when Adam was trapped in a disambiguation screen, and because he was typing commands assuming he wasn't in the disambiguation screen, it kept returning "?".

I actually implemented a fix for this, so that every two or three times the prompt was displayed, it would re-ask the question. I thought that was good enough to prompt the user they were still being asked the question.

Submitted

Correct. We were talking about the different prompts. What I noticed tonight was that it ignored my own testing for presence or absence of adjectives and kept re-asking me the disambiguation question without the menu. I couldn't work out what was going on.

Host (1 edit)

I didn't redisplay the menu just so it didn't spam the screen, going for a lighter touch, but now I think spamming the screen with question re-iteration and choice list every time, is the lesser of evils.

The other change I made was changing the default prompt in TWO theme mode back to ">" so you could see you were in choice mode by the '?' instead.

Submitted

When I EXAMINE BRANCH and get the menu and type 1, I get a "You see nothing special" response. This is the wrong response. When I type EXAMINE LARGE BRANCH, I get the correct response. Why is this so?

Note that I don't use msg = "something" in the object definition as in your example. The examine is done using a match statement in on_command{} so that all my action handling is in one place. I have a lot of conditional examines. I was also testing for the adjective in the examine action.

Host

If you can put it into a code snippet and post here, I'll fix it (assuming it's a bug).

If you don't have time for that, then send me a version of your game source, with instructions what to type, and I'll check it that way ( info@adventuron.io).