SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Using the PRO instead of LITE version

A topic by PixelPauer created Apr 07, 2022 Views: 407 Replies: 22
Viewing posts 1 to 6
(+1)

Hi,

I read on Twitter that it's ok to use the PRO version instead of the LITE if you already own a PRO license if you stick to the restrictions of the LITE. Can anyone confirm this (it may be helpful for users of the PRO)?

Host(+2)

Yes, that is fine Pauer :) Looking forward to your entry!

Yay! Thanks so much Zach!

If anyone wants to know the difference between LITE and PRO: These are the features from the product pages:

LITE:

• Tile based grid maps, 64 by 64 tiles.
  • 4 different floors for setting tiles.
  • Enemies and decorations editors with quite a number of properties you can set
  • 8 different weapons
  • Simple and easy to understand set of integrated editors
  • Scripting for more advanced control over game elements!

PRO:

• Disabling "Trial version" notification. You will be able to sell your game!
  • 5 more floors
  • Customizable walls shapes
  • More editors
Submitted

you probably should update the jam description to let all know that pro version is ok too. i was confused as well.

...and then there's the Experimental version for both LITE and PRO, which has a few important bugfixes (but doesn't work with my already created maps, even after converting them via the tool).

See here: https://jessicochan.itch.io/easy-fps-editor-lite/devlog/345722/update-4

I think I stick to the PRO version and try to build the levels the way the bugs don't affect the gameplay :) And of course I will stick to the limits of the LITE version. 

Submitted (1 edit) (-1)

ok so wait, pro version is ok but only with lite restrictions? if that is the case, i think i am out.

i don't support advocating for the free version of an indie product that is worth 50 bucks and only costs 10.

i understand the international sanctions are affecting JessicoChan's ability to get the money that ppl pay for pro version, but he will be able to get that money eventually. this bullshit war can't last forever.

edit:

so yeah, i looked into and host confirmed on the discord that you have to use lite restrictions. so i think i am gonna leave the jam. bad rule. bad bad rule.

(+1)

Well, this Jam draws large attention for EFPSE, so it's a good thing. I believe restricting it to the features of the LITE version is just for fairness, so everyone can participate. But that's just what I believe, because I know the host as a very supportive guy.

Host(+1)

To clarify, the restriction is simply to level the playing field. Didn't want to force people to pay to enter the Jam, and didn't want them at a disadvantage for not doing so. Nothing to do with the war, sanctions, or value of the product itself.

Would love to have you take part Ragnar, loved your entry into the last E1M1 Jam and would love to see what you can do here too.

Submitted(+1)(-1)

i can understand the leveling of the playing field.

i am just used to using custom modifiers and features of pro now.

but i can probably give it a go using lite restrictions.

Host(+1)

I've updated the Jam description, thanks guys!

Submitted

Ok, just to clarify.

"You must use Easy FPS Editor v1.5 - Lite by JessicoChan (itch.io). You can also use the PRO version, should you wish to."

Means: Pro Version is ok, but with the limitations of the Free Version.

Because, this reads as if you could use the one or the other without any limitations.

Host

Use either, the difference between them is mostly GUI based :)

Submitted

So i can use the Pro Version without the Limitations? O.o

Host

Yes, go wild :D

Submitted

Great! Thanks.

Does this not create an imbalance with people who pay for Pro having more advantages? I thought this contrasted what was said earlier this month...

Submitted

Its 10$. I don´t make much money at my Job, but even i could afford the Pro Version.

And they could just mark every Game as "made in Pro" or "Lite".

Host(+1)

The differences are less prevalent than initially thought. The only difference is doing the work in-engine as opposed to editing the raw files -- we did give it a lot of thought and there are no major advantages/disadvantages, and as it's not a ranked jam we decided to abolish the rule

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

there is one glaring difference other than gui. that is placement of custom modifers on the map. you can edit tiles.dat and add more modifers, but in lite you can't actually put them on your map. you can edit the 4 custom modifiers that come with lite, but you don't have the gui to do it "right"

**ok apparently  the 4 default "column" modifiers that come in tiles.dat are not available in free version to be placed on the map, so you can't even do what i said above.

virtually everything else can be done without using the gui editors that are part of pro.

with that said, i don't think a level playing field is all that important in the grand scheme of things. you can make good games with lite restrictions, you can make the same game in pro the only difference would be custom modifiers that change the shape of the square "tiles"

it's only $10 usd. it is well worth that and more. i payed 20 for mine just to support the dev. (he used it to buy vodka)

pro users do have an advantage, but it is not an "unfair" advantage. if you want your game to benefit from the pro features, cough up the cost of a meal at mcdonalds. if you don't want to do that, use lite and be happy with your decision.

Fair enough, just double checking - I still hope to participate and wish you all the best of luck!

Submitted

Russian vodka balalaika bears and matryoshka

Submitted

Can we use the Reload Magazine logo for the screensaver?