On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Post some random trivia about your submission here!

A topic by PixelRunner created Jun 21, 2023 Views: 150 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

It could be anything! A little known fact about the development of the game! The origin of a specific feature! An easter egg! The original game idea and how it changed over the course of development! The crazy story of how rough the submission process was!

https://itch.io/jam/scorejam26/rate/2125243

- The explosion sound effect is actually a heavily edited vine boom.

- The gunshot sound effect is a random sound effect I made on sfxr about a year ago, titled "BANG1.wav." I don't remember what game I intended to use it for, but it made for a great heavy gunshot noise.

- The AI for the attack drone is literally just: rotate towards the player, and move forward. And it worked! In fact, the lack of real pathfinding made for a more interesting gameplay experience, as sometimes you can go behind a building, and be ambushed by a swarm of 7 drones that were only there because they were trying to move through the building that was in their way.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

This was my first Game Jam!
https://sharpie171.itch.io/keylessjkl
My game was originally going to have a soda can enemy that would roll into you to deal damage. I made animations and everything, but couldn't figure out how to make the AI work by the deadline. Oh well.

Submitted(+1)

we put and resized over 70 unity cubes on the buildings to make colliders, cubes have a custom shader i made chatgpt write which makes them visible when player is near it. 

https://ozn1911.itch.io/city-jumper

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

1: My AI works the same! It picks one of my 20 pre-defined spawnpoints/navpoints around the map, attempts to move there, and if the player enters its notice radius, attempts to move to the player until the player exits the radius.

2: I wanted the game to be about rescuing / collecting research from a space lab that is being invaded by aliens, and ended up scraping it 4 hours in! The current game uses the same movement as the rescue spaceship did.

3: The fish aren't ment to splash when they spawn, only when they die and float to the surface... yet they do anyways for some reason, and I like it!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Cool idea for a thread! Here's mine!

1. The game *feel* was inspired by a song I attached here. If I used it as a background (which I would love, but have no rights to) the first meteor would hit exactly on the first time the vocalist goes "rules of nature!!". Right now it happens slightly sooner.

2. To make the city feel like a city I would need to create a bunch of building prefabs. Instead I created exactly one, with different interchangeable parts, and a script. You see- the city isn't random, and instead has a script that has bunch of code that tells generator that some pieces go after another, or there can't be more than such-and-such pieces in a row. This turned out to be a waste of time, because at the speed that the game works player can't tell it anyway.

3. At some point, some of the npc cars could be rammed for points! This got scrapped because I didn't like the game balance of that mechanic.

4. For the most of the development time the car player drove was an orange muscle car. I switched it maybe three hours before submission deadline when I figured that it would be cool to see all the money you collected inside the car.

5. The "long lines of money" appeared at first due to a bug in code, but I liked them (I felt they were a nice reward, but often risky to get, so a nice risk-reward mechanic), so I fixed the bug, but also created some code that generated them on purpose. 

6. I have a method in my code that's called DoCrimes(). If the traffic generator calls it on a newly created car, this car drives faster, changes direction more often, and drops money.