Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Jam Over Sticky

A topic by romsteady created Nov 05, 2019 Views: 572 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Host

We had 258 votes over 13 entries!  Woot!

I'll crunch the numbers and get the Shacknews Editor's Choice Award information and post the final results in the Chatty and in this thread.

Host

Overall ratings:

1. Leap Of Faith
  2. Why You Do This To Me?
  3. Relative Evil

Individual categories can be seen by sorting by criteria on the results page:

https://itch.io/jam/shacknews-jam-do-it-iv-shacknews/results

Current prize pools without the Shacknews Editor's Choice Award included:

1. Leap of Faith ($250)
  2. Why You Do This To Me ($160)
  3. Relative Evil ($110)
  4. Tie: Personal Space Invader, Get Off My Beach ($30)
  5. Changer ($20)

Will post instructions on claiming funds once I have the final information for the last prize from the Shacknews Editors.

Submitted (1 edit)

Weren't Leap of Faith and Why You Do This to Me disqualified on the stream? The former asks for payment or makes you watch ads. The latter has blatant vote manipulation; just look at the age of all the accounts that commented on it and the number of votes compared to the other games.

Submitted(+1)

Actually, now that I'm looking into it, looks like Leap of Faith and Changer both also have some brand new accounts talking about how amazing the game is...

Submitted(+1)

Here's an album showing what I'm talking about:

Itch.io alts https://imgur.com/a/M1p1pzR

Deleted 4 years ago
Submitted(+1)

Having all your friends rate 5 stars is just as much cheating.

Deleted 4 years ago
Deleted 4 years ago
Submitted(-1)

i want to tell i made game + i have large friend community i shared in my school college family group they liked and i dont do this cheap activity + it is my first game i dont know about itch my friends told kindly dont claim without anything think knowing i am 13yrs old and from cheating i dont want to win money for me honesty matters. Thanks 

Submitted(-1)

+ my friend likes in stream there was screen resolution problem my friend observed that but they love my startup so they support thanks

Submitted(-1)

i have many friends community i shared on discord too then votes come then what's the problem if they like they rate if they dont they also commented you can see

Host(+2)

Let me do some checking.  These are the raw results I got from itch.io.

Deleted 4 years ago
Submitted(+1)

It's a pretty common issue here on itch. Honestly when there's prizes of any sort the judging should be done by a trusted panel rather than relying on the rankings.

Deleted 4 years ago
Submitted(+1)

I don't think the issue is the ratings. I think some of us are just confused because Asif disqualified some entries based on not following the theme, and based on that they seemed to be games already made but reskinned for this jam, based on that they charged for the game during ratings time, and one based on that there was no game available to play.

Submitted

Changer was not one of the games that was disqualified by Asif so please give a 13-yo kid a break.

Deleted 4 years ago
Submitted

Also, I think the ratings system is appropriate considering one of the goals of the jam is to "grow the Shacknews community." It would make sense (from the point of view of the people putting up the prize money) to have participants compete with each other by getting friends to sign up.

Host(+3)

Just so everyone will know what's going on:

1) I've asked Asif for the Editor's Choice selection.  I'll update this thread with that information once I have it.

2) I've asked itch.io if there's a way to detect votes from the same IP address.  Those make sense to filter out.

3) I've got an eleven hour drive ahead of me today and a nine hour flight tomorrow.  Assuming investigations are complete, I'll post final prize pool numbers and claim instructions to this thread once I hear back.

Submitted (2 edits) (+2)

Is there any clarification on the disqualifications mentioned by Asif in the video?

Submitted(+2)

https://youtu.be/iIzmY5KVzEc?t=4156

1:09:18

They will be getting 58% of the prize pool. Just saying.

Deleted 4 years ago
Host(+2)

The $100 Editor's Choice award goes to "Get Off My Beach!!!"

Submitted (3 edits) (+1)

As Asif and others have said, there are some games that should be disqualified. As shown in the review by Asif, the game Leap of Faith has nothing to download. However, they have a download button with nothing there so that there is technically "something" to submit, otherwise it probably wouldn't have allowed them to submit their game to the jam. The game was also submitted to 3 other jams, and you can only get it on the Google Play store, which is unfair to those that don't have Android.

Asif also talks about other games he would like to disqualify like Why You Do This To Me? and yet both of these games won 1st and 2nd place. Can we get any sort of clarification on this? Thanks.

Deleted 4 years ago