Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How are you going with your game?

A topic by Garry Francis created Apr 30, 2023 Views: 428 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 9
HostSubmitted

We currently have 28 people registered for Text Adventure Literacy Jam 2023 and 34 registered on the Discord server with maybe 10 people that are registered on both. That means there are about 52 people interested in the jam, but only a small percentage of those are likely to submit a game.

We are nearly three weeks into the jam, yet there is very little discussion on either the itch Community page or the Discord server. This got me wondering. Do you plan on entering a game? If so, how's it going? Have you finished the design? Have you started coding? Do you need any help?

Don't be shy. Please share your progress. We don't want people feeling like they're working in a vacuum. There are plenty of people on here, including past participants, who would be happy to answer questions and share their experiences.

(+1)

I do plan on entering a game. I have my idea and the beginning started, but have a long way to go. I don’t enter as many jams as I would like since dad life can be pretty busy, but some of the first games I ever played were IF, so wanted to get in on this one.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

This is the first time I spend so much time on paper. I’m going to start coding even if I haven’t fully completed the game design. I chose The Quill, it’s not the easiest one, but I’d like to see…

The homepage of the game jam is very well done and gives a lot of information, but it can be a bit intimidating: “Will I be able to live up to it!”

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

The home page is intended to provide useful advice for programmers that are new to text adventures. For people like yourself, you will know most of this and can skim over it.

I've used AdventureWriter recently. This is the same as The Quill, but for Apple II, Atari 8-bit, C64 and PC. It's a very capable system, but it has a lot of limitations compared to modern systems, and only has a two-word parser. In my case, I was porting some old Spectrum ZX adventures to the Atari 8-bit. The memory constraints were hard to work around. In one case, I had to make room descriptions more concise to get it to fit. In the end, I only had about 20 bytes to spare in that game.

Submitted

It’s the final stretch. I hope to have time to finish in time. There will be no beta testing for my game because I don’t want to have to deal with that. What is the status of the other games?

HostSubmitted

I sent mine out for testing and got some great feedback. I was able to identify the areas that are a bit too hard, so I will provide better hinting or make them easier. I am doing some pretty drastic changes, as well, and hope I don't break anything in the process.

Submitted

I also made some radical choices, we’ll see.

Submitted(+1)

It's going OK and I'll definitely be ready to submit _something_.  Probably.  Got some tarting of the interface to do, I think, and then just some additional non-generic responses when you try to do something you can't do (like take a tree).  It's been great to have a deadline on which to focus, if nothing else :).

HostSubmitted

Good luck. I hope you get finished on time. I must agree that the deadline helps to keep you focussed.

Submitted(+2)

I am writing my adventure game in ADL. There are already 7 locations (out of planned 11) with a bunch of items.  I'm sticking with the scenario that helps a lot. There are only few days left, but I hope I will submit my entry. I have also some important projects on computer-science studies. Good luck to everyone.

(1 edit)

It's neat to see who is going to enter, and I'm going to enjoy seeing the entries! I definitely want to review all of them if I can. It's been fun the past couple years.

It's weird. I don't see myself ever entering, as nothing I have matches up with it (I like doing weird things with the parser.) I'm just glad something like this is out there, and it's lasted and seemingly gotten bigger.

Submitted

I’ve submitted my game but it doesn’t appear and I don’t know if it’s been taken into account.

HostSubmitted

Don't panic. Your game has been submitted successfully. All games will appear after the submission period closes at midnight on 31 May 2023 (UTC).

Thanks for your submission and good luck in the jam.

Submitted

I have sent URL to my game page to the Jam Organisers' address supplied with the letters (TextAdventureLiteracyJam@gmail.com) so that I can make late submission of my entry.

HostSubmitted

As you no doubt know by now, your game was submitted successfully and now appears on the Submissions page. Good luck with the judging.

Submitted

Yes, I noticed that my submission was accepted. Thank you for giving this late submission option! My game has many planned elements from the scenario, however was not polished. I will try to enhance the game during the Jam and after it. I try to learn something from each submission.

HostSubmitted

A couple of people were asking for help on 'Priceless Vase Adventure' on the Discord server. I don't know if you're a Discord user, but if you are, you can join the Text Adventure Literacy Jam Discord server at https://discord.gg/57uuPGrCsR and maybe help them out. I just got home. I'm about to give it a go myself ... er, the adventure, not the Discord server.