Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions For Developers

A topic by Miff Kebab Studios created Feb 13, 2024 Views: 120 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

Hello, everyone! Now that all the amazing games have been submitted, I'd love to hear  some of the background to your game's development.

• Did you have any prior game development experience?
  • How did you choose which game development engine/framework to use, if you used one?
  • How did you come up with the idea for your game? (Beyond the jam's theme)
  • For artists - What did you use to make your sprites/models?
  • For programmers - What programming language did you use?

Thank you in advance to everyone who takes the time to answer!

Submitted(+1)

I prefer not to say what program I used to make it, Same with the program I used to make the art, most game developers make fun of what I use. I like to make small games which most of the time have a twist. Don't look for games by me, the only ones that will pop up is the game I made for this game jam and another game that I made for a game jam. I will tell you if I release anything big. I am working on some BIG projects so I will keep you posted Miff Kebab Studios. I am a solo developer by the way I hope you like my games.

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

I had made a couple of small games ages ago, most of which never went anywhere, and only recently started playing around with Pico-8, which I LOVE. Got together with my mate andy who has a similar background. We were surprised how far we got in one and a half days, and had a blast. We did everything in Pico-8 -- in case you don't know it, check it out if you like pixel graphics and like working under constraints that can occasionally breed creativity.

In terms of the idea... we quickly thought of the sort of gameplay we'd enjoy and could realistically pull of in the given time-frame, and just made our protagonists (or antagonists) miniature - 2 single pixels.

How about you, Kebab? I loved your game btw., a proper piece of art!

Submitted

Absolutely love that, never heard of Pico-8 before, read up a bit on it, it's such a cool concept! Minimal and miniscule go real well hand in hand, and it absolutely shines in your game. The destructible environment really adds to the game, too. And the co-op, of course, I'm sure to some it doesn't look like much on the surface, but you've made quite the game in two days, and with a fairly limited engine no less. 

In general, I'm not a game developer, I actually work as a web developer lmao, mostly using TypeScript and NodeJS, which I love to death. I've used Unity and  XNA/Monogame before, but they were mostly for modding, I've never actually made a video game before. I chose Godot literally because it's the next popular thing I haven't tried, and I have to say, it's pretty incredible and open source! I'm a little embarrassed I missed the TypeScript integration mod for the engine, although GDScript is not bad at all, considering it's basically Python. The idea of the game came from me and my friend Max we're writing ideas down, and we ended up with that weird poem instead. Max is studying animation as we speak, and they're still in the hand-drawn phase, so that's what we chose. Literally pencil, paper, water-color, and a scanner. And a bit of PhotoShop, of course. 

Thanks a ton!

Submitted(+1)

I'm mostly an Unity Developer, which uses C# as its main programming language, although I also know how to program in Python, C++ and HLSL/GLSL.  I'm also getting used to using Godot's Engine and it's GDScript + C# software architeture.

I've participated in many GameJams over the last 2 years, with many of my Games being simple hypercasual games. I've gained a lot of recognition for my work in the GameJamPlus competiions, to which I've worked amongst a very talented group and together we've received in total 11 awards for the games, those being Itsy Bitsy Spider and Friends and Amazon Blocks.  For this reason I think I work better with gamedev when I'm teamed up with someone. It took 11 GameJams to finally reach to this experience of winning something :')

Despite that, I still have a looooong path to walk through and I've got a lot to learn both as a programmer and as a tech artist aswell.

Depending on the Project, I mostly prefer to use the Aseprite for PixelArt games, as the style is a lot simpler and quicker to do, especially in 48-72 hours gamejams, but if it's a 3D project, I try to use Photoshop, Blender and the Engine's Built-In Shader Tools, if we want to add those to the game.

My idea for the GameJam theme was to try and create a Relaxing Tower Builder game, in which you had to build towers using primitive shapes. 

At first I was thinking of trying to make the gameplay to have each tower that you create shrink down overtime while the spawning shapes would stay the same size and it would be an inifite loop until you we're satisfied with your creation. Unfortunately I messed up with my times and organization for the GameJam and I wasn't able to execute this type of mechanic flawlessly, but I'm happy with what I made here with this game and It's the old saying of which "It takes up to 10-20 Bad Games in order to make the One game that will be great and realized" and no matter how bad the game ends up being. We laugh at the mistakes, we learn from the experience and we keep sailing forward to the next amazing adventurous GameJam!

Submitted(+1)

That's quite an impressive repertoire, definitely keep up the good work! And that's very true, consistency is by far the most important thing I feel, the more you create, the better what you create will be. I'm also a big fan of casual games, so taking that to the next level is absolutely admirable.

Submitted(+1)

we use blender, but half of the things that we have modelled in 3d didnt work, so we use free assets

Submitted

Blender's dope, I've never tackled 3D games so I'm really excited for when my friend learns it.