Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

You win, or you learn.

A topic by ProdigiaGames created Jun 30, 2023 Views: 253 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

Well, it's official. I wasn't quite able to finish.

My scope was good, I just didn't follow the common wisdom to build in 20% margin for time overruns. If I could have taken a day off this week, it would have gotten done for sure.

But I'm not mad. Jams push you on every front and reveal to you where your weakness lies. You can be mad about this and scrap your efforts, or you can use it as a ladder to make the climb up to your next level of aptitude.

For all the others out there who couldn't quite make it: I see you. Don't worry--we'll get 'em next time.

Submitted

Hope you've learned a lot :)

I did for sure and fortunately for me, I managed to do more than planned(in contrary to last year which I finished 78th place out of 100)

But be sure to come back next year to learn more!

Cheers,   :)

Submitted

Thanks! It was definitely a learning experience and it was much closer to what you'd consider a complete game experience than last year's entry.

I'll definitely be taking some time to finish up the game, and that will help solidify my learning. That, and provide necessary improvements to my framework so I can jump into the next one with that much more of a chance!

Submitted

Can't wait to try your game when it's finished :)

Submitted

Hey, congrats! You ranked way higher this year!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks!!! And congrats to you too :)

Submitted

Game Jams are fun because they make you let it go…yeah all your ideas and that need to polish that one mechanic…let it go….

Submitted

Definitely! I am looking forward to the next one for sure.

I designed the locomotion and interaction system for 22's jam (which meant I didn't get much else done for that one) and really put it through a stress test for this year...so now I've already started taking that insight and rebuilding it from the ground up so I can hit the ground running even faster for next time.

Submitted

hA! ! nice. brace yourself…

Submitted

Mine almost didn't make it into the Jam either, it unintentionally got disqualified! It's all sorted now, but it was touch and go for a while there.... 

Glad you're going to carry on with it though - will be interested in what you've come up. Let us know if you upload something :) 

Submitted (1 edit)

Will do! I am almost done with the core experience (I haven't been working on it with the same hectic energy since I want stability over quick release) and I'll see what I want to do next--I'm thinking taking my existing base and building from it to make a series of fast iterations on jam-style small games.

I'm glad you got your situation sorted out--there's a lot of games I didn't yet have a chance to try but I'd be sad to miss the opportunity to catch up with them!