Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Sneak peak at 'Santa's Trainee Elf'

A topic by Garry Francis created Dec 08, 2020 Views: 193 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+2)

It's taken me over a day, but I've eventually finished the first image for my Christmas-themed game. I'm not 100% happy with it, but I can come back and clean it up later. One down, 32 to go. (Yes, it's a big game.)

I've also been experimenting with Google fonts. I had a particular feel in mind, but I couldn't find anything suitable. The screen image below uses a font called Pirata One. It's quite legible and close to what I wanted, but it's too condensed. What do others think? Is it too hard to read?

The title of the game is 'Santa's Trainee Elf'. (It's a pretty dopey title, but I couldn't think of anything better.) You play the part of a young elf named Eldrid. You have just turned 16, which is the elvish coming-of-age. It's a very proud day when Santa's elves start their traineeship. Today is your first day on the job and you have to report to Santa to get your instructions. He will give you a list with 10 chores to do. Each chore that is completed will earn you 10 points. The majority of the chores are to get Christmas presents for the children on the list. In order to get the presents, you first have to find out what the children want and what materials you need to make the presents (if appropriate). As a consequence the beginning of the game is an information gathering exercise. Don't panic, it's very easy.

Unfortunately, materials are in short supply due to the Covid-19 pandemic, so you may have to scrounge around to find what you need. Some of the materials are easily acquired from supplies, but others will take a bit more ingenuity. You earn 5 points for each present that you find or make and a further 5 points for putting it on Santa's sleigh. Incidentally, the list that Santa gives you is sprinkled with elvish magic. It not only provides you with a dynamically changing reminder of what you have to do, but also provides you with a colour-coded indication of your progress, so keep it with you.

So, there you go. That's 'Santa's Trainee Elf' in a nutshell. Sound Christmassy enough for you?

All I have to do now is finish all those damn graphics and do some thorough testing and fine tuning.

Host

Sounds brilliant Garry and the graphics are wonderful as always.

The font - yes, it is a bit too condensed in my opinion but maybe others will have a different idea.

Good luck with the graphics!!

Submitted(+1)

Oooh! I like the graphics! And 32?! That's going to take a long time! 

I like the look of the font, but, I don't feel like reading the text because it does look too thin. However, in the header, I think it's great.

(+1)

It looks like a Garry's game ... great as always.

Don't waste time reading this !!! You have a lot of graphics to do !!!

Submitted

Nice clean graphic style Garry. Looks very nice. I actually like the font. Very clean and readable. I'm thinking of changing  mine as I feel its quite hard to read. Cool stuff though.