SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] Into the Depths (finished!)

A topic by Goiaba Games created Feb 18, 2020 Views: 359 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted (2 edits)

EDIT 

It's finished!  You can play it here: https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-3/rate/574066

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh no, monsters have captured your beloved and fled to the center of the earth!

With the initial shock subsided, your fear gives way to anger, your head is inundated with thoughts of retribution...

You'll make them pay.

Armed with a machine gun and a steel resolution, you delve...

Into the Depths 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, guys! 

This is my first dev log for my first game! I'm so excited to be participating in a game jam, you don't even know.

My game will be a top-down shooter with a simple objective: kill the enemies, find the hole, delve deeper into the earth, rescue someone... maybe.

So far, I've focused on creating the minimum viable core of the game: 

I'm proud to already have a playable game. It might be a crappy game, with poor gameplay, poor design, poor graphics, no sound, only two test levels... BUT IT WORKS!! *blast the horns*

I won't have a lot of time this week, so to avoid scope creep I'm keeping my ideas in check and trying to work on priorities. Here's what I plan to work on next:

ESSENTIAL STUFF TO WORK ON

• Make cursor
  • Make at least 10 decently designed levels
  • Make menu
  • Create an ending screen before highscore
  • Design simple GUI
  • Add sounds
  • Make simple pixel art sprites
  • Add music (no idea how I will do this, if someone wants to provide music for this game, feel free to join me!)

NICE TO HAVE BUT NO IDEA IF I WILL HAVE THE TIME

• Add more enemy variety, with different behaviors
  • Add level mechanics, like traps, destructible walls or other fun stuff
  • Add fun, unique guns that change up the gameplay
  • Add some actual story beats
  • Blood splatters!!
  • Lots and lots of other "game juice" and polish!

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and I hope you'll try out my game when it's ready. ;)

Looks good, hope you get to finish your road map before the end of the game jam. Crossing my thumbs for you.

Submitted

Thanks! I have a bunch of ideas but it really takes too much time to implement stuff well.

I know, I hope to get all my ideas also implemented before the end line of the game jam. Momentum is slowing down with a brewing cold. Will panic by Friday.

Looks awesome haha im in the same boat first game jam and fully built released game. I am a awful artist so the struggle is real, that being said this game looks solid already and like it will be lots of fun to play once you finish! Good luck with the rest of the fun:P

Submitted

Don't worry, I'm no artist as well! I've been trying to make pixel art but it's a real struggle. What has been helping me is to gather a lot of asset references from similar games and carefully pay attention to the way they did things.

Wow the game already looks really put together and responsive which I think is really important to top down shooters, particularly the impact of each shot on the enemy. The game mechanics alone already makes it look great. good work!

Submitted

Thanks! There's a lot of polishing that needs to be done but I'm happy it's already a game

Submitted

Looks cool! Out of curiosity, what tech are you using?

Submitted

I'm using Game Maker for this

Submitted

Excuse me, how is your game submitted? Nothing is not shown in my game

Submitted (1 edit)

I haven't submitted the game yet, I plan on doing that on the weekend. Though maybe I'll send a beta version here to gather some feedback.

Submitted

OK, I have submitted it successfully, and I hope your game can do well

Submitted

It looks really cool already, I'm curious of what the art will look like

Submitted

I'm not really an artist, so... But I'm struggling to make it at least presentable

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

[DevLog 2] Game dev is hard

Hello again, peeps! I finally have an update for you.

First, I would like to share three things I learned about game dev over these past few days:

1. Game development is HARD
  2. Game development requires a LOT OF HOURS
  3. Game development is ADDICTING

I have been working on this little game obsessively, going to sleep late and even working on it while on the plane.  Since we have limited time and I'm a beginner, it has been a struggle, but the game is finally starting to shape up.

As you know the core loop is simple: kill all the enemies, go down the hole to the next level! Can you make it all the way to the end?

So far fully functional I have:

• Movement, combat, going through levels systems
  • A power up that doubles your fire rate!
  • Three different enemies, one has all sprites done
  • Two weapons, the fast and furious machine gun and the precise and powerful sniper rifle

What I need to work on:

• Designing all the levels
  • Lots of play testing and lots of polishing to make sure the game is fun and functional
  • Beginning and end cutscene
  • Sprites and animations for some enemies (and maybe improve the art I already made)
  • ?? SECRET FEATURES ??

Phew... That's it for now. Thank you for reading, and I hope you guys can play it and leave your feedback soon!

Submitted (1 edit)

It's finished!  You can play it here: https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-3/rate/574066

Should take you 10 minutes or so