Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

First game jam is a little rough.

A topic by Rithium created Feb 20, 2021 Views: 221 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted

I'm still really happy to be apart of it, but none of my game ideas really came in together as the way I planned due to my lack of knowledge. Does it really matter to have a fully complete game? I may just keep this game as something I constantly work on as I learn and hone my skills. I'm not too confident in this release 馃槗

Submitted

Don't worry about it being good; it doesn't have to be!

Yeah man, just submit the game without thinking how good it is. As long as you had fun making it it will be worth your time and effert, so don't waste it.

Submitted(+1)

Submit the game for sure so you can say you鈥檝e completed a jam! The next one won鈥檛 be nearly as intimidating. It鈥檚 all about progression. You鈥檒l rarely see a first time game dev win a jam, and that鈥檚 because you learn something new everytime. It鈥檚 better to submit something crummy and get the feedback so you can grow then to throw it in the trash and not learn anything. 

Submitted

You're definitely right! I'll just try and figure out my base mechanics that can be evolved over time. This project definitely seems like a WIP but I think it has a lot of potential when I learn what I want to do.

Submitted

Hey, nice to see another first-timer. Don't worry about  your games problems, my game has glitchy movement and feels like it's held together by sheer force of will but you just have to continue through. As you keep doing this you will learn more and more and get better so that next time, you will have a better game.

Submitted

Hey, thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm sure many people are running into problems. I think my original idea will have to be put aside for the moment as its a small idea but I still think it'll be cool when I learn more about 2d. I'll keep it together and I'll submit it soon :)

Submitted (1 edit)

My first jam was hard and I was close to rage quiting but you should not give up even if your game feels bad to play. since you made something you are ahead most people. so do not be discouraged.

Submitted(+1)

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to inspire me. I was really on the verge of just giving up until I have more experience. But I think this will just be my absolute best attempt with what knowledge I carry now. I'll see you in the submissions soon :)

Submitted

When you get experience, you will look to this game and this jam and see your own progress. It is worthy because its not just about to win, its about being part of something like that. It is my first time also and, oh boy, the world tried to make me give up. My mother got sick, i stayed the whole week without internet so i couldnt get a team to work with and, when i was publishing the game, the energy went off and just returned a couple of hours ago. Im sure you had your own bad things happening during Development too and the fact that you published something its the reward after getting through this bad things.