Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Free Asset Rule

A topic by shamaku created Apr 25, 2023 Views: 690 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(+1)

If you got free assets form the Unreal Marketplace - Monthly Free Section, can you use it or is it not allowed since it was only free for a month?

Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

I'm not one of the moderators, so I might be wrong, but my understanding is that because they want us to upload our source files, we can't be uploading any files that we're not allowed to share with other people. So the things we get from Unreal free each month, we paid no money and got a license for, but we still can't share those assets with other devs, so they're not something we can upload in source files either.

Edit: You're right, they didn't say we have to upload the source files this year; that's great, it felt like an outdated step that probably made sense in the early days of game jams but always just added extra steps to an already stressful time period.

Submitted

Where does it say that we need to upload the source files? I can't find that rule anywhere in the overview.

I think they just want more equal conditions for each team, which includes using assets that are either self-made or can be legally accessed by everyone at any time.

Submitted

It was a rule in last year's version of the jam, which may be what Noah Wizard is thinking of.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

It seems to be an omission that they don't list providing the source as a requirement, since if you only have to upload the finished game one could hardly check if the assets are free or not.
Also, the rule always was they have to be free without a time limitation, so other students can pull the project well past the jam's duration and still be able to tweak and build it for themselves.
Thus, "free for this month" assets are off limits.

Regardless, unless it's assets you made yourself (and are willing to hand out to others) or are CC0 or similar to start with, even if they're completely free on the Unity/EPIC Asset store (or itch.io), you must not include them directly in your source upload since you're unlikely to have permission to distribute the asset files themselves directly! Instead, keep them in a separate folder in your project (that you exclude from any upload) and provide links on where to get them!

What about free assets where the creator wants to be showed in the credits?

Submitted(+1)

Those are fine!

Submitted
How about free forever assets in Unreal Marketplace and assets that can be used only with Unreal Engine? And Quixel Megascans? Can I use it?
Submitted

You can use free forever assets even if they're restricted to the engine you're working with.

From what I can tell regarding Quixel Megascans specifically (and this is their TOS not this gamejam's rules), you can use their free assets non-commercially so it should be fine for this jam as long as you aren't selling the game you make.

I don't think that's an issue for Quixel. Unreal Engine TOS seems to overrule Quixel TOS per their arrangement with Epic according to this. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/rhfvxg/am_i_able_to_use_assets_from_th...