Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

how do you rate games / award stars?

A topic by Miniature Giants created 25 days ago Views: 161 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted(+2)

Firstly, a game jam is for fun and to learn. Secondly, I love to get feedback on the stuff I've created thats constructive around how I can improve the thing I've made, because my ambitions are always bigger than what I've managed to achieve in a short space of game jam time. I try to make my own ratings about more than just a 'feeling'.  So this is how I tend to rate the games I play:

• 5 stars is for if its in that category that blew me away - incredible graphics, story, bespoke music that sounds amazing etc. 
  • 4 stars: I pretty much award 4 stars to any category where I feel its above the average that I've experienced in the game. 
  • 3 stars: This is the average score. You have some random music? 3 stars. You have some free art assets? Generally, 3 stars. 
  • 2 stars: It's below the average in the game jam. Like a lot of games might only have 1 sound effect and be missing lots.
  • 1 star: The thing is not present - there is no music, no sound effect, no story nada zip zilch in the given category. 

With all the games I play, I try hard to offer constructive feedback. There is a lot of feedback that's liike "woa I love the game, so cool!" but when the scores come out you see that that was really a 3 star overall rating. So rather than do that I try to be positve while still highlighting where the opportunities are to take the game to the next level (or star!). This year there are some subjective categories (more so than others) like 'Ambiance'. Here I think you can take stock sounds and assets and throw them together to create an amazing ambiance. I think this is probably one of the trickier categories to score. 

So do you follow a similair process? Or do you do something different? I think we should all aim to provide honest constructive feedback and fair scores. If you want some, drop a link to your game and I will try to check it out.

Submitted

I rate high if it is unique 

Submitted (1 edit)

You can play it by clicking on the link though It's hard;D  (tell me how much did you rate the game in each category.

Submitted

As far as your rating system goes, this is pretty much exactly mine as well =)

A few submissions have asked for feedback on specific things (my own included), so in those cases, my feedback is usually geared toward that. Have a look if you're interested: https://itch.io/jam/gamedevtv-jam-2024/rate/2739551

Submitted

Hi, it would be great to get that kind of feedback about our game. We're thinking about developing it further and maybe your opinion will be the impetus. Thank you!

https://itch.io/jam/gamedevtv-jam-2024/rate/2747320

Submitted

I agree with your approach!
I much prefer a low score with honest feedback that I can use to learn and do better on my next project rather than generic "I love your game" feedback that, while it makes me happy in the short term, doesn't give me any information about what did I do wrong and what can I improve.
I think that the most important thing about game jams is learning opportunity that this kind of "events" offers you.

I would love an honest feedback from you:
https://itch.io/jam/gamedevtv-jam-2024/rate/2745557