SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

HAGJ Devlog: Team 'Twin Beaver Studios'

A topic by elexivv created Jun 19, 2021 Views: 559 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Submitted (6 edits)

Day 1: 

******NOTE: The Game Title was revised to Temini (from Remini) after catching a translation error***
Working Game Title: Temini 
Mythos: Aztec

Team Members: elexivv, Ryken, Rohith, and SneakySteve

Hello, we are Team Twin Beaver working on an 2D platformer based on the story of the Aztec god Huitzilopotchli for the Historically Accurate Game Jam. We spent the first hours of the jam today mapping out a design of our core mechanics, proposed story line, and concept art. As the artist for team Beaver, I worked out some basic concepts and chose a look and feel which I thought lent itself well to the theme.

Huitzilopotchtli

Concept art of our game MC, Huitzilopotchli

This paper-like design was ultimately settled on both for it's story-book like appeal and being a good fit with the skeleton-based animation approach. No animations have been started as of yet, since I still need to concept the other characters and environment, but I hope to get started tomorrow *sweats nervously*. During our design meeting I also drew up a quick sketch of our future thumbnail which I'll paste below. As you can see we voted and settled on the game title “Temini”- but you'll have to be patient and wait to find out what it means.... I know what you're thinking, don't google it.

Temini Thumbnail Concept

My programming teammates, Rohith and SneakySteve, have been hard at work on implementing movement and UI.  Below is the snippet of the design doc our programmers are starting with before moving on to the more time consuming parts of development. Once this is done they'll be getting into the more fun parts, like the enemy AI.

Foundational:
- Movement (left, right, jumping)

- menu screen
- victory screen
- options screen
- credits screen

Our composer and sound designer Ryken is researching aztec instruments and music for his compositions and putting together the beginnings of a soundtrack. As we move forward in the project we'll be passing back and forth information on game tone and materials to ensure Ryken can create SFXs well suited to our environment.  

That's it for now (I'm gonna fall behind soon if I don't get back to work), thanks for reading through our first devlog!

Sincerely,

Submitted (1 edit)

Day 2:

Welcome back to Team Twin Beaver's daily hopefully devlog! We've been whittling away at our to-do list and have a bit of progress to show for it. I spent most of the day animating our MC. Below you can see a clip of our main character dying! (yay?) and to the right a still of his... lifeless body.

It was recorded in unity so it's a bit laggy - but, hey, it's something. Tomorrow I'm moving on to animating our first enemy (we'll be keeping our main threat a secret for now) which I'll paste a concept of below (the spear is floating, yes - that was completely on purpose).

Our programmers Rohith and Steve continued progress on the menu, design of game flow, and cutscenes and dialogue.

Last but not least we have our solo composer, Ryken, completing an epic theme for our game, creating UI sound effects, and getting a lot of SFX done for our main character as well. He will be continuing tomorrow on more environmental themes for our boss fight and enemies. 

That's it for today, thanks for reading and check back tomorrow for more updates!

Sincerely, 

Team Twin Beaver

Wow, seems like an awesome project! Cant wait to see the end produc

Submitted

Thanks! We can’t wait either :D

Submitted

Looking awesome!

Submitted

Thanks so much :)

Submitted (3 edits)

Day 3:

Temini Logo

Temini Logo

Hello and welcome to day 3 of Team Beaver's devlog! You may have noticed a title change on our game this is because we translated it wrong (whoops :').

Despite that small setback we did get some good work done today, like this attack animation I did for Huitzil. along with some basic animations for our main enemy (which is a surprise).

Huitzil Attack

Huitzil Attack WIP

In the above animation you can still see me selecting the particle system in unity (hence orange boxes) since it isn't automatically triggered yet, but i think it's looking pretty good so far. Tomorrow I finish up character animations and move on to environment in collaboration with the programmers, Rohith and Steve.

Our composer, Ryken, did some neat voice over work today along with the SFX for our enemies and main boss. He plans on continuing this work tomorrow and possibly moving on to cutscenes. However, I need give him some basic "animatic" previews so he can time things right - I have some of this done, but the gif doesn't want to upload so you'll have to wait till tomorrow for a sneak peak :D

Rohith worked on some state machine design today to cover our main enemy's behavior. Since this is the hush-hush part I can't go into much detail but we hope you're curious enough to see for yourself....

Thanks for reading today's devlog and we hope you'll return tomorrow to see what we're up to :D

Till Next time,

Team Twin Beaver

beauty

Submitted

Thank you!

Submitted

Day 4:

Hello, Hello and welcome back to Team Beaver's devlog. Today was a moderate progress day on the art side since I had to go to work, But I'm happy to share some teasers for our environment and a first look at the animated enemy character.  Below you'll see a WIP of Huitzil in one of our rooms, I'm still working on getting that lighting *just right* but I'm liking the aesthetic so far.

Next, as promised, the idle animation for one of our common enemies. 

I gotta say I really like how the mask turned out, i think it really suits him. I'm gonna finish this guy's animations hopefully tonight so I can start cutscenes and continue environment tomorrow. I'm a tad behind but really when am I not it should be fine.

Of course, we gotta talk about the work our programmers are doing. Rohith has been working on level design and enemy AI for our main boss which he plans on continuing tomorrow along with designs for two other rooms. Room design is looking pretty good and I can't wait to see the finished product. Steve has been helping out with this as well and will also be starting work on the AI for our little friend up there.

Finally, last but certainly not least, we have our composer Ryken working on this neat adaptive music system that can be modified to a faster pace when enemies are nearby. Things are starting to come together and we are all excited to share our final product with you!

As a reward for reading to day 4, here's a little sneak peak at a game cutscene. 

We hope to see you again tomorrow! Thanks for reading :D

Sincerely,

Team Twin Beaver

Submitted (3 edits)

Day 5:

It's that time of day again, welcome back to Team Beaver's devlog! We got some good work done today. I finished off the highest priority character animations (with only one more high-ish priority animation left). I had a panic attack at 3am thinking I erased half my animations and turns out, yeah, I did... but thankfully version control saved me - whew. Anyway , now that this is mostly done I can move on to making some neat atmospheric particle effects, environmental assets, and cutscenes. It's difficult to record the particle effects but i have a gif of one below as a preview (with the orange unity boxes unfortunately highlighting the particles). I'll put  a still of the little projectile to the right for a better idea of the in-game look.

Tomorrow it's continuing with environment and cutscenes for me. See below for a humble grass asset.

It's not much, but it's honest work.

Now on to the great progress our programmers had today. Rohith successfully got Huitzil's controls working and perhaps after a bit of animation tweaking we'll be able to provide a sneak peak of this tomorrow or thursday. Rohith also got the level designs down and is working on transitions between levels. Our second programmer, Steve, implemented the enemy AI for our common enemy and helped out with refining Huitzil's controls. They've both been doing great things and I can't wait to see the end result.

Finally, our composer and sound designer, Ryken, did some layout and setup for the audio events using FMOD in Unity. It's all very complicated and, I'll be honest, I have no idea how he's doing it.

Join us again tomorrow for more gifs and more ~foliage~ for now here's a first look at our common enemy trying to defeat you.

He's giving it his best, as are we all. 

See you tomorrow!

Sincerely,

Team Beaver

Submitted

Day 7:

Hello we are back! Sorry for missing a day, but now that just means we have two days worth of progress to talk about. I've been working on decorating rooms, cutscenes, and final touches to animations. Below I'll post a pic of a sweet new weapon meant to be wielded by our mystery main enemy. 

Next a look at some particle systems I've been working on.  They are the blue and green tear-drop shaped pieces floating around the menu scene below. I'll let you take a guess as to what they represent.

and finally a small sneak peak at a room post-decoration.

Hopefully I'll have time to spruce things up more but it's pretty much all cutscene work from here on out!

Our programmers have been continuing work for enemy AI both for our main boss and common enemy. Rohith and Steve integrated Huitzil's animations for movement and attacking, started preliminary work on scene transitions, and also began integrating the enemy animations. Rohith plans to continue scene transitions and integration of animations tomorrow. It's amazing to see my art and animations come to life - programming is really the backbone of any game dev project!

Finally, our composer, Ryken, worked on adding sfx to animations and continued on the dynamic music system he has set up. His sound tracks are sounding super nice! Wish I could share a little clip of it, but you're gonna have to wait and see ;).

That's all for now, see you tomorrow!

Sincerely,

Team Twin Beaver

Submitted

Day 9:

Hello! I skipped another day, but I'm back with some of our final updates.

Ryken is working on the last of the audio for the cutscenes. Rohith and Steve are hard at work on our final boss and level stitching. I have completed all the art elements and am standing by as of now. It's been a hard race to run but we want to keep going and give it our best!

I can't give too many hints without really spoiling, but here's a cutscene preview below.

Mysterious glowing doorways are a must in any rpg.

From here on out it's almost all programming and testing. Whatever the outcome, we had fun working on this game and learning as much as we could. Our entire team is made up of game jam newbies, so I'm pretty proud of how far we've come. That's all for now, watch out for our thumbnail on submission day and thank you so much for your support!

Sincerely, 

Team Twin Beaver.