Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

recommend length ?

A topic by Noah the cat guy created Jan 31, 2022 Views: 280 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 4
(+1)

a quick question is there a ideal length for the games metroidvanias being longer but game jams games are usually shorter thanks!

Submitted(+1)

i think its helpful to compress the base concept. I did a top down puzzler recently for a jam and while ideally i would have liked to have fifty levels, i just didnt have time, so made ten to demonstrate the core concept. one could hypothetically contain all of the elements of a metroidvania to just a few rooms, or even one area. i bet even a single screen metroidvania could be possible. im kind of happy its a month because it gives some time to develop more content, but it will still be important to consider scope.

(+1)

thanks!

(+3)

Ok, now I really wanna try my hand at a single room metroidvania.  Not for this jam (already have my idea mostly planned out).  But definitely filing this away in my ideas book.

(+1)

the thing about jams is most people wont play the entire game if its very long (they have other games to play also ). so a short and impactful game is ideal.

(+1)

All of the above. Also I'd like to emphasise a smaller game that's made well is much better than a longer game that people get bored of. Leave players wanting more

for sure!