Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Brand New Game Designer

A topic by FinalBossRyanb created Jun 29, 2023 Views: 155 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5

Hey everyone!!

Im in school for game design but ive actually never published a full game i was wondering if you guys thought game jams (and this gamejam) would be a good plase ti start.

(+2)

I'm in the same situation as you, being a student studing game design. I think this would be a great jam for you to begin with (it's also going to be my first full jam), mostly down to the fact the jam is 30 days long giving you plenty of time to make a simple game, I would recommend using a game engine you are familiar with and only aim to try 1-2 new things. The combination of creating a simple game, using familiar tools and not attempting too much outside your comfort zone should give you a decent chance of completing your project. And even if you don't complete it you'll still learn alot :D

Host

Newcomers are definitely welcome in this Jam!

(+1)

OGA winter '22 jam was actually my first ever jam, or at least the first I actually submitted to (I tried Ludum Dare a couple months before, but did not end up submitting a game due to running out of time and insecurity about the game itself). I personally find jams to be good for making games because there is a deadline you need to finish by and a ready made audience of fellow jammers to play, comment and give feedback for your game, and vice versa. This jam is definitely a good one to start with because it is long enough to have plenty of time to make a game, the voting segment gives extra encouragement to other jammers to play your game and you usually get good constructive feedback.

My main advice is aim small, since aiming too big has usually been my main mistake in jams. Good luck on your game!

I just did my first Jam ever (the Rectangle one ended on partner mines birthday so theres a deadline!) and it has made me want to try an OGA one.  Because a) it was fun for me to learn microStudio b) gave me confidence and most importantly c) was fun.

Major prob I have now is deciding on which OGA assets to use.. =^^=