Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What is considered OSR?

A topic by sectorbob created Feb 27, 2022 Views: 517 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 7

By OSR are we taking about things that basically have a D20 system at it's heart? Would the Black Hack be OSR? What about BrightHammer? Just asking for clarification, not looking for debates about it. Whatever this  jam says it is, it is.

HostSubmitted(+2)

my general rule is that it's definitely OSR if it's compatible with every edition of D&D. So anything that does that is definitely allowed.

But it's not like anyone's saying that the Black Hack isn't OSR, and I'd accept submissions for Black Hack content.  

While trying to figure out what BrightHammer was, so that I could answer this question, I found out that the person who wrote BrightHammer has me pre-emptively blocked on Twitter, so I'm not gonna accept submissions on that. 

Basically, if it's not generically compatible with a bunch of stuff, I guess directly ask me and I'll look it up. I'm generally going to err on the side of yes, though, on the basic assumption that a) you and everyone else is acting in basically good faith and b) not that much hinges on me getting the exact definition of "OSR" wrong. 

Ok. That's clear enough :D 

Submitted (1 edit)

For what it's worth, my working guideline of OSR is "A character or monster made in an OSR game should be able to have a fight with a character or monster made in an old-school D&D game with minimal issues." In particular, both should use d20 to attack and track damage in hit points. Also an OSR game should use the same six ability scores as D&D, possibly renamed.

ETA: I don't mean that this should be everybody's definition. It's just the one I have in my head.

HostSubmitted(+1)

everything that falls under that definition is OSR, but there are things that people could submit to this jam that don't fall under that definition that would be fine. 

Submitted (1 edit)

I will be introducing a Swords & Sorcery supplement for Swords & Six-Siders which is OSR compatible with some modifications. Would that work for this scenario?

HostSubmitted(+1)

I looked it up, skimmed it, and am ruling that it is fine. 

is there a complete list of what has so far been determined as definitely acceptable system-wise?

HostSubmitted (3 edits) (+1)

Well, there's this thread and my replies to each person.

Aside from that, if your supplement is compatible with every edition of D&D, it's fine. If it's not, ask me, I'll look into whatever specific thing you want to make content for and approve it (likely) or explain why I'm not approving it.

There's also all the quote-tweets of this where various creators have approved you to play around with their IP. Those are all pre-approved for submission.  https://twitter.com/ForestedDepth/status/1496480906797850626

Sorry for doing things in such a haphazard way, but there's too many OSR systems to list them all. It's a beautiful diversity, but that brings certain burdens with it. 

Submitted (1 edit)

This chart might be a handy guide for the starting point of OSR. Not saying this is definitive but it might be helpful for someone to pick an edition they like and start from there.

edit: for the original picture

HostSubmitted(+1)

It's not helpful, there are many many games that are OSR that aren't on that tree. 

Also, the original version of that chart was made by someone who's had friendly interactions with me 

https://twitter.com/DaddyRolleda1/status/1497296829779611651

The edit you posted was produced along with some really rude behavior towards him, and removes all mention of his daughter. Please don't use a game jam I've put my name on for that sort of thing. 

Submitted (1 edit)

Like I said its more of a starting point to pick your favorite edition from rather than anything definitive. I don't have anything against your friend but I don't consider this to be inherently of rude behavior since there's no such thing as an objective internalization of information. I was also interested in finding the original version and I appreciate you helping me find it.

HostSubmitted

It was a whole thing on Twitter, people going at him, people going at each other, just unpleasant behavior. You didn't know, it's fine. 

Deleted 354 days ago
Submitted (1 edit)

I feel like that's line's gotten blurry now that OSE is just B/X rules with no changes.

HostSubmitted

You can just release something for BECMI and call it OSR, actually. Doing that is fine.