Skip to main content

Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Question regarding "reusing assets" and duos ?

A topic by Moorgane created Jan 27, 2024 Views: 118 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted

Hi !

I'm currently making my first ever game since the beginning of the year, and I saw the Jam a week ago. Because I intended to do winter levels, I thought this jam was a perfect way for me to motivate myself doing pixel art on this theme, so before anything else, thanks a lot !

However, I have two questions.

The first one being : I may have started non-winter art slightly before the Jam start, and although I don't intend at all to submit it, I used some of the sprites as a basis for a few of my winter-themed sprites. It's not "just" recolors, it all asked for more work in that I had to add snow, change color palettes, redo many details and such, overall shapes, etc.

It's only a part of the pixel art I'm doing, and I intend to follow the rules (it's my first ever jam too so it's really important for me as a very beginner dev' and artist), so I wanted to ask : Should I include or exclude these assets from the pack I plan to submit ? To be clear, they are my creation, all during the time frame of the jam, but some used sprites that may have been drawn slightly earlier (maybe, i'll have to check if needed) as a basis.

Also, second question, we are two people working on this small game and we're doing a few pixel art each and : is it ok to submit our work together, since they are meant to be for the same pack and would feel weird if in two separates submission ?

Thanks a lot for the attention, and I hope I'll be able to complete a good part of what's missing tomorrow and also add even more (it's really motivating, this jam existing is why I now have an almost functional beginning of a winter tileset). Thanks for the jam, too !

HostSubmitted

Do I remember what I meant when wrote "reusing assets is prohibited"? No. I am not sure. I had something like a clear view and argumentation but now I don't remember ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It needs a bit of clarification...

I may have started non-winter art slightly before the Jam start
... but some used sprites that may have been drawn slightly earlier (maybe, i'll have to check if needed) as a basis.

First of all thanks for truth. Honestly no one could find out even if you drew it a year ago

used some of the sprites as a basis for a few of my winter-themed sprites

The same thanks for truth and in general no one could find out....

Answering a question it is a bit an edge case. I don't know really. It should depend on how much changes were made. So can you just show?

The rules I think must be fair:

1.  Just recoloring is prohibited (low effort)
  2. Just add some snow to an existing art is prohibited (more effort but in most cases it is still low effort)
  3. Any art made during jam isn't considered as existing art
  4. Any art published on itch before jam is considered as existing art

Lets use some heuristics.

1. You have a tree. You add some snow and some little changes. Is it using existing art? I think yes but it depends on amount of changes
  2. You have a black square and you turned into the sun. Is it using existing art? Formally yes but you understand comical situation

In first case you just derived in the second case you made something really new. Just change something is low effort. Create something new not a low effort

Lets see something between these two. You are getting your normal tile-set with trees (which have leaves) and make a winter tile-set with trees that have the same trunk but they don't have any leaves anymore so you drew (make new thing) branches without leaves

Creating something new upon something existing should be inspected. I don't know I think such case just need a hand verification. But if you haven't uploaded your asset which you derived so...

---

Also, second question, we are two people working on this small game and we're doing a few pixel art each and : is it ok to submit our work together, since they are meant to be for the same pack and would feel weird if in two separates submission ?

It is ok just say you are a team somewhere on the page.

Submitted

Here are some of the examples.

After checking, the non-winter originals with a red dot have been drawn the 13th (this month) and their counterpart have a red dot but were started after the jam, and those with a green dot were drawn the 19th for the originals. I removed some of the ones I think were lower effort. There are transparent pixels in the middle of the snow, that'll be fixed (it's planned, just didn't take the time yet, i'll check everything at once tomorrow).

I guess the flowers and shrooms are the lowest efforts among them all, even though I had to redraw more than what may appear at first glance because I didn't like a simple recolor result (can be seen here and there).

I'll gladly remove those with the red dot if asked, no problem with that, and I'm already happy my little sign can enter because started a few days after the jam for the original (and even after for the one in the snow). I don't know if I'll include the original though, it could be useful to have with its counterpart but I didn't do the first one with winter in mind.

HostSubmitted

13 is very close to jam start so lets assume it was created during the jam and as I said everything created during the jam (even base versions of tiles which has another theme) aren't considered as existing art so just submit everything without filtering by it was made from the thing that was made two days before start...

HostSubmitted

Several off-topic questions:

1. Why do you insert spaces before ? and : and !
  2. Why you don't do it before , and .
Submitted

Gonna provide examples this evening. But first of all :

It's because i'm french.
In france we don't put space before "," and "." but we do before "?" and "!".

But I do think in english, although we don't put one before "?" and "!", we don't either before "," and "." ?
And as I tend to speak french and english everyday I tend to mix both.
Also I do feel weird when I don't put one before "?" and "!" so even if I know I should I sometimes consciously don't :p

HostSubmitted

I saw one girl (very little to know more than lang except native (maybe I am wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)) in school and saw a strange fact that she inserted spaces before "," but it was the only character she inserted spaces before and she couldn't explain why so I wanted to know your reason...

Submitted(+1)

as someone who just takes part in these jams, i dont really mind someone else making an edit of their earlier art. the way i understand the purpose of the jam is to motivate people to create new assets.

so as long as you put in effort and you yourself are satisfied that you created a new asset pack, as a participant i think that's fine. it's not like this is a super strict jam, there is no prizes, the only reward here is the art you make.

HostSubmitted

In general I agree