Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What are you working on? Sticky

A topic by Running With Scissors created 22 days ago Views: 536 Replies: 34
Viewing posts 1 to 14
Host(+1)

If you want to share details before you submit your project, this is the right place to do it.

Tell us what you're doing!

Question relating to the Game Jam theme/rules: 

Do Game Jam submissions have to be first person 3D games that artistically resembly Postal 2 or Is It permitted to make 2.5D games that resemble the original POSTAL and Postal Redux as long as It has the protestor theme? I plan on making my own engine from scratch but thought I'd double check In case someone else Is wondering the same thing as me, In rule 1 of the guidelines It says 'they should be made entirely from scratch', does this refer to the engine as well or only the game?

Host(+1)

They can be anything, FPS, TPS, RPG, etc etc. As mentioned in the main page, the theme isn't manditory but it does provide extra points for those who use it.

The entirely from scratch part doesn't include engine and some software that can be used to aid you (as long as it's properly credited of course).

Best of luck!

(+1)

Thank you! I look forward to participating this year, I was already In the process of making an engine so this will be good encouragement to finish It quicker. I wish that the voting process Is good fun for everyone at RWS and best of luck to the other contenders.

(+1)

question for the game jam rules

is illegal stuff such as crack kind of stuff allowed as a background thing in the game? yea my question may sound stupid, im new.

Host(+2)

Drugs are fine. 

Good luck!

(+1)

thanks a lot!

(+2)

Team Weenus are back and we're cooking up something fresh! We're pretty sure we've come up with a fun idea for the theme. We also have an update for Night of the Itching Krotch in the works, but that's gonna have to wait for now ;)

Host

Hell yeah, we loved Night of the Itching Krotch and the fact you guys went above an beyond with that entry.

Best of luck!

Not much done so far but I'm happy with my start

Thought I'd add a neat little throwback to the RSPiX engine and save myself a little bit of work with engine creation by Including saktool.c to pack my level files. I thought It'd also be a good time to ask what license does RSPiX fall under? I know It's open source but I can't find whether It's specifically MIT license or something else, I want to be 100% certain I am using It within fair use.
Jam Judge(+2)

GPL2 https://runningwithscissors.com/the-original-postal-has-been-made-open-source/ https://github.com/RWS-Studios/POSTAL-SourceCode (Previous original repo, which according to some was a more recent version of the re-uploaded source-code https://archive.org/details/postal_source https://github.com/RWS-Studios/POSTAL-SourceCode/issues/1 Pull request available from this repo too https://github.com/RWS-Studios/POSTAL-SourceCode/pull/2)

(+1)

Thank you for that! It got confusing with all the reuploads of the source code and I lost track of them, I will not make a game with RSPiX/POSTAL 1 mod for this game jam as It would most likely breach the first rule but I would like to do It at some point In the future also.

(+3)

Hey! I'm gonna start working on a doom styled 3d engine with cheap physics. That would be kinda interesting to see, innit?

That would be cool to see, I wanted to do It for a bit after seeing "The Postman Shoots Twice" from the 2023 Round 2 Jam but have decided to stick to my original plan. Good luck with your project, It'll be fun to see!

Hi, i've got another question for the rules.

Can i add Habib to the game, i'll make racist jokes that's why im asking.

Host(+2)

Anything that's in line with POSTAL 2's comedy is fine and as long as it follows itch.io's TOS.

You can definitely add Habib (judges vote higher if the 3D model and voice is created from scratch rather than recycled from our games)

(+1)

ah no im drawing myself from scratch of course it will be a dating simulator

(1 edit) (+1)

Hello! sorry we were wondering if it'll be okay to include children in our game? Me and my friend came up with an idea for our game but it does include the depiction of children, as such we planned that our game wouldn't have any NSFW content or any display of violence against children. We wanted our game to be a "PG" parody of postal so it's on the sillier side with cartoon violence (like toon town) . We have other ideas if this is too troubling. Thank you for your time!

I am 99% sure that would be fine, doesn't seem to break any of the jam rules listed. I'm not part of RWS or the jam host/judge team so It would still be safer to wait from an answer from them confirming whether or not I'm right.

Host(+2)

It's a gray area really, depends on what exactly is done

(1 edit)

Is it possible to call the game "Going Postal" or something like that?

Host

Yeah, no problem.

Thanks for reply!

I was wondering if I'm allowed to make the protagonist a protester because I want to make a doom style game where the protester kills stereotypical gamers and i think making the protester sign a weapon is a cool idea

Host

Yes you can.

Submitted(+1)

I submitted my game. :)

Hey! Quick question about the game jam rules. I’m guessing that the use of an AI Postal Dude voice is not allowed, or is it?

(+1)

from my understanding it is not allowed but I could possibly be wrong but don't add an ai voice just to be safe

Thank you

Deleted 4 days ago
Host

AI voice acting using real people's voices is not permitted.

I apologise for that, I have deleted my reply In order to prevent any possible confusion In the future and will refrain from answering questions that I am not qualified to.

Host(+1)

No problem man.

Can I make a fan game of postal AND another game in one?

Host

Submitting two games?

It would be better to just submit the POSTAL game, that's the whole idea behind this game jam.

I was thinking of making a postal and fnaf game in one sumbission!