Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Game Performance and Self-Reflection: The Aftermath

A topic by Daniil Grydin created Jun 23, 2023 Views: 169 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+1)

Alright, guys, now that the voting period is over, let's talk game performance and self-reflection. How did your game do? Are you feeling stoked or bummed? Share your experiences, mistakes, and advice, my dudes! As for me, the main lesson I learned is that prioritizing a web version of the game is key over a downloadable version. The web is where the real action happens, so make it your top priority, bros! Let's share our stories, learn from our mishaps, and help each other level up in this wild game dev journey! 🎮🔥

Submitted(+1)

for me the absolute deal breaker was not adding sounds.. it really does bum the player out but now i know its very important even if for a jam game

other than that im glad that i made somethjng that is fun and can be improved in the future!

LDR: sounds are important

Submitted

I think this is the best solo jam I've done, although I was definitely a little too ambitious still.

If the scope was a bit smaller I could have easily got in all those helpful user experience stuff, like the sound control and instructions etc. Definitely want to get those in on the next jam.

But generally happy, first time doing external leaderboards with Lootlocker, first time building for WebGL, and a fairly well functioning game at the end of it.

Submitted

I'm happy with my game- I managed to implement the idea in my head, made the game hard, but not too much. Let's be honest- with the timeframe and my experience level (plus I was doing this one solo) this was the best I could do. 15th place overall. and 11th on gameplay. Hell, I'm proud!

As for the things I learned- turns out, the games with leaderboards should be, how do I put it, fair? My game goes pretty chaotic towards the end, and while chaos is fun, it sometimes leads to "I'd pull next 20k points easy if that asteroid didn't send a car flying at me". Maybe, as one of the commenters suggested I should've cut down the traffic and focused on asteroids?

The other thing. Last few jams I collaborated  with a graphics guy, and to good effect. This time, after I wrote him my idea he went "I'm shit at drawing cars, use an asset pack for this one", so I did, and ascetics was by war the worst score I got. 

Submitted

This was my first jam so I definitely had a lot 😅,but the biggest one was not getting much feedback after the publishing people fond the game too dark,but overally the game done good but it only had 3 ratings which was below the median so it was cut in have sadly