Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions about some rules

A topic by celesti created Feb 21, 2020 Views: 175 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 7

Sorry if these have been asked before, it's a bit hard to find the relevant info in this forum.

1. What does "if prefixes are used, the text must not be dynamic" mean?

2. "Locations descriptions and object names should be a maximum of TWO words", but can I change location descriptions as the game progresses?

3. "Responses in game and in-game messages can be a maximum of SIX words", does this mean all text that isn't an object name or location description? And as in 3, can I change examine text/responses as the game progresses? For example, trying to strike a match, the first two matches fail and give different messages, and the third match lights up with a third message. And examining the matchbox between striking would have changing examine text "Two matches left." then "One last match."

4. "Game Intro and end game message(s) can be a maximum of three sentences." Sentences of 6 or 2 words? Does this also mean examine texts can't be more than one sentence, even if it's still under 6 words?

5. Can I gate some treasures behind having to find (or use) some other treasures first?

6. Is the game supposed to end on bringing all treasures to the room, or can there be one last section?

Host(+1)

1. This means that I'd you prefix the object list with something like "You see:" or "Objects here:" (via the theme{} section) then you are not allowed to use more than two words and not allowed to use this word allocation to embed a status message. The text must never change from "you see" for example.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, you can change location descriptions and response messages but each instance of a location description must be max two words and each instance of a response must be max six words.

4. The start end messages can be three sentences of any length. Examine text could be as many sentences as you like providing it's a max of six words.

5. Yes

6. Technically there should be no postgame, but if you want to do it, I think I'll file this under "bonus" and allowed, unless the endgame is something significant.

Submitted(+1)

It is nowhere near as restrictive as your questions imply. This is my interpretation:

1. The rule is pretty clear. If you have a prefix such as "Exits:" before the list of exits, then the prefix should not change during the game.

2. You can change both object descriptions and location descriptions during the game, but they are still restricted to two words. For example, imagine that your game starts in a "Dark room" and the only thing you can see is a "closed door". When you open the door, you might get a message saying "Light streams in." and the descriptions change to "Bedroom" and "open door" respectively. And now that the room is lit, you can also see (say) a bed and a desk.

3. Anything other than room descriptions and object descriptions can be one to six words. This includes anything in print statements, barrier messages and so on. Obviously, the messages that the user sees will change during the game, so your example with the matches is not only valid, but expected behaviour.

4. Intro and end-game messages are restricted to 3 sentences, but there is no restriction on the number of words within the sentences. With a bit of creativity using commas, semi-colons, colons, en-dashes, ellipsis and clever wording, you can write some rather long sentences.

5. I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but there is certainly no restriction on how you use treasures. All that matters is when all treasures have been dropped in the treasure room, the game automatically ends.

6. The game automatically ends when you've dropped all the treasures in the treasure room. There can be no further puzzles (which upset my game plan). If you want something else to happen, you'll have to cover it in a cut-scene in your three-sentence end-game message. At least that's what I did.

Submitted

Whoops. Adventuron answered while I was composing my response. Sorry for the apparent duplication.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

Submitted

I have a question related to the rule, "Responses in game and in-game messages can be a maximum of SIX words".

Let's say the player is being chased by a monster who wants the macguffin that the player is carrying.

There is code in the on_command handler that causes the you to drop the macguffin when the monster approaches you. 

There is code in the on_tick handler that causes the monster to disappear with the macguffin when they are both in the room. 

Both pieces of code print a message, and it's possible to enter one command and see both messages displayed before the next prompt. Do all the words in both messages count toward the six word limit?

Submitted

According to a mention on another thread somewhere, the words in the responses from each block are counted separately.

Submitted

I think you're saying each response is separately limited to six words, so in this case it would be OK if twelve words were printed out between player commands?

I erred on the side of thinking that was not the case, and I've tried to restructure things to avoid this situation.

Submitted

I believe so. Provided one is from (say) on_description{} and one is from on_command{}. A player cannot tell what code block is used, but it should be obvious from context that one is from background processing and one is from the user's command.