Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How to make your itch.io game page more appealing

A topic by Garry Francis created Mar 07, 2020 Views: 251 Replies: 3
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

I am currently working my way through all the submissions, giving priority to those that have asked for play testers on the community forum. Three down (not including my own), eight to go, not counting any late submissions.

One thing that I've noticed is that some of the game pages are a bit dull. It is in your own interest to spiffy up your game page to make it more appealing to the game-playing public. Although the game page won't be judged, you have to admit that first impressions are important and when the judges see a professional-looking game page, they will want to play your game. As a minimum, I think you should include the background story and game playing instructions, as this is important to the judges. You should also provide an embed image and a couple of screen grabs.

Your cover image should be 630 x 500 or 315 x 250 pixels. This is the image that itch.io uses when browsing or searching for games.

Your embed image should be 640 x 360 pixels. This is the image that appears behind the Run game  button.

I think your screen grabs can be any size, but an aspect ratio of 4:3 seems to work best to avoid images being cropped.

The colour scheme should be the same as that used in your game to give the impression of a consistent theme.

You can take a look at mine at https://warrigal.itch.io/igors-quest. I'm not suggesting that this is a brilliant game page, but it's an example of what you can do if you put in a little bit of effort.

itch.io has some good advice on designing your game page at https://itch.io/docs/creators/design. Check it out.

Submitted

Thanks for the tip about the Embed Image. I was wondering how to get an image behind the button but I didn't connect the dots.

How do you crop your screenshots? I've been doing it tediously by hand, using the GIMP.

Submitted

I use Fireworks, but you can use anything that you're comfortable with. The Gimp is fine.

Screen shots are hard to do with Adventuron. I try to resize the window until the font size looks right, then use Snaggit for the screen grab, then do any further editing and scaling in Fireworks. It's a lot of mucking about.

Submitted (1 edit)

Can't find where I can set an embed image.

UPD. Well, found it. Not the most obvious place, to be honest.