On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Adventuron Update - Beta 28c - In Game Autocompletion Enhancements (update fixed)

A topic by Adventuron created Mar 07, 2020 Views: 270 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Host (3 edits)

Beta 28c Autocompletion Changes (UPDATE : fixed in 28d)

Just issued an update to Adventuron so that verb and noun autocompletion (pressing TAB) is more aware of the context.

This update only assists with nouns associated with GET, DROP, WEAR, REMOVE and EXAMINE verbs (or synonyms).

What exactly does it do?

Verb Behaviour (Unchanged)

If you press TAB with a blank textbox, adventuron will currently suggest a number of known verbs, or if you have previously used a verb recognised by your game, it will suggest that verb (after used once).

As always, cycle through available completions by continuing to press TAB. Games will need to recompile with the new version to receive this update.

Noun Autocomplete Behaviour (Changed)

Prior Noun Autocompletion Behaviour

Adventuron's printing routines scans for nouns used by the game. These may be in the match section, or in the vocabulary section, or garnered from the objects{} section.

The prior behaviour was that pressing tab would cycle through nouns that had previously been printed by the game engine. For example, if there is a lamp inside the game, but the lamp had not previously been printed, then typing GET LA <TAB> would do nothing. If the word LAMP had already been printed by the game, then typing GET LA <TAB> would autocomplete the MP. This approach is sensible to not spoil the game, but it can lead to weird scenarios where it will complete a noun in a different location that starts with the same few letters. You can cycle through to the noun you want, but it's tiresome and it makes Adventuron seem a little bit silly.

New Noun Autocompletion Behaviour

NOTE: This update only assists with nouns associated with GET, DROP, WEAR, REMOVE and EXAMINE verbs (or synonyms). Other verbs will follow the general "active noun" approach documented in the previous section.

The new logic will check if a full verb has been provided and if one of the GET, DROP, WEAR, REMOVE or EXAMINE verbs, then it will give priortity to suggesting nouns associated with entities in particular source locations associated with the verb. For example, the GET verb will give priority to nouns associated with entities (or objects) that are inside the current location. The DROP verb will give priority to nouns associated with objects in the player inventory (players pockets). WEAR will give priority to held but unworn items. REMOVE will give priority to worn items. EXAMINE will give priority to items in the same location or in the player inventory.

DROP, WEAR and REMOVE will stop using the noun logbook altogether, the other verbs will prioritise items in the source location.

It is very common for EXAMINE to be used for nouns that are not associated with objects but rather a noun that may be in the location text, therefore the noun logbook is still useful (but as a 2nd tier suggestion).

Do you have to configure anything or change anything?

No, all you have to do is recompile with the new version to benefit from these changes.

Submitted (1 edit)

Hi after updating Adventuron my game does not compile. It looks like a missing character :> but the problem is that instead of coming to the linewith the bug when clicking the top left I get the section list(which I like by the way).

Am I missing something new regarding debugging?

EDIT actually if i make new bugs it does show the line number. But i somehow have a bug on another level. It just sais Attention required.

If I hoover it sais "Unecpected character :>

Submitted (1 edit)

I too am getting the same bug as PapaQuark.... seems the last update has introduced a bug into Adventuron Classroom itself. :( 

Luckily I save all the time so I haven't lost any work. Once it's back up and running I should be able to load it back in. :) 

Submitted

I seem to be experiencing the same vague "Attention Required" bug mentioned previously. I'm not sure why this is, but I managed to resolve it by commenting-out the "extends = two" from my theme definition. On a hunch, I tested this with the sample code for "Two" itself, which had the same bug, which was resolved this time by commenting-out "start_theme = two". Other themes seem to work fine, and as the "Two" theme seems a popular one, I'd guess the same step might get their projects functioning as well? Meaning either something changed with the theme, or how it's recognized by the program.

Host

Fix incoming, sorry about the trouble.

Host(+1)

It appeared that a bug came along for the ride in the TWO theme (as Rex correctly pointed out). The workaround was not extending the TWO theme, but I have now issued a fix that fixes the TWO theme too.

Press CONTROL + F5 in the editor to update Adventuron Classroom to version 28d  - the fixed version.

Confirm version number by clicking the "MENU" button at the bottom right of the editor window.

So sorry for the trouble, and the turnaround time for the fix (12 hours). I'm like Clark Ken in the fortress of solitude during the events of Superman II. Yeh, just like that :-)

Chris

Submitted

No worries Thank you for fixing it so fast. (I will probably introduce a couple of bugs myself because I have received so much awesome feedback in by you guys). 馃檭

Submitted

Awesome thanks for the fix Chris. ;) Tis all good now. 

Submitted

Is it possible that this update created other bugs? I can't match a talk command with print anymore. It worked okay 2 days ago, but now I can't  get it to work. 

Host

Oh dear!!

If it's urgent and you cannot fix, send your game source and instructions to trigger the bug to info@adventuron.io and I'll take a look urgently. I'll delete your email and source code afterwards you have my word. Otherwise I can't help much from the description as given alone.

Submitted

It fixed after restarting... for now. :D Thanks!

I don't know if it's from Adventuron (version 1.0.0 Beta 28E) or the "Burgle, Burgle" game, but GET ALL allowed me to take items that I would only get with coins.
SHOP
SODA, POTION, SHOPKEEPER.
WEST.
-------------------------
? GET SODA
"CASH PLEASE."
? GET POTION
"CASH PLEASE."
? GET ALL

SHOP
SHOPKEEPER.
WEST.
-------------------------
? I
SODA, POTION.

Host

Hmmm, interesting. This really should not be happening as the GET ALL implementation simply explodes out the targets of items that are present in the current location and submits them in separate ticks, including all the on_command {}  that should run in the exploded ticks.

I think this might be down to the implementation of the "CASH PLEASE" routine.

This is how it should be done (in this implementation there is no way to pay however):

start_at                 = my_location
start_theme              = two
redescribe               = auto_beta locations {
   my_location : location "You are in a room." ;
} objects {

shopkeeper : scenery "shopkeeper" start_at = "my_location" ;
   soda : object "soda" start_at = "my_location" ;
   potion : object "potion" start_at = "my_location" ;
} on_command {
   : match "get potion"  {
      : print "CASH PLEASE" ;
      : done ; // Not strictly required here