Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How "Christmassy" are you aiming?

A topic by Verdant Tome created Nov 26, 2020 Views: 222 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted (1 edit)

I still haven't completely settled on a setting/concept. I've had a few really interesting ideas, but I just couldn't figure out how to integrate good puzzles into them quickly enough. I might have an OK idea now, but I'm curious about how strongly everyone is following the Christmas theme. On a scale from 1 to 5, where 1 is "Ring", 5 is "The Santa Clause", and 3 is "Home Alone", where would you say that your idea falls? I think I'm looking at a 3 right now, but trying to think of a way to bump it up to a 3.5 or a 4.

Submitted

I had the same problem initially. I had an idea but couldn't work out how to make it into a game. So I wrote down lists of Christmas things: Christmas places, Christmas icons, Christmas stories, Christmas movies and so on. I did a lot of research (thanks Google). After a while, things started to fall into place. I actually started with a map and populated it with characters and objects as puzzles started to suggest themselves.

In answer to your original question, I think it now rates as a 5.

Host

The Christmas theme can be whatever you like. It's a Christmas jam, but it's not prescriptive as to how tenuous the  connection should be to Christmas itself. Ultimately the game will be judged as a game, so if you are struggling, go with an idea that somehow links to Christmas in one way, but you have full artistic license to do whatever you like beyond that.

Submitted

My mini quest is set at the North Pole - coincidentally at Mr. and Mrs. Claus' home... and you are an Elf....

That feels a tad Christmassy to me!

Submitted

Hey, you stole my setting! It will be interesting to see how the two games compare.

Submitted

Very Christmassy I hope. :) I've got Elves, Snow, talking Snowmen, Fairies, Reindeer, Santa, Santa's toy shop, Christmas magic.... its all happening, lol :) 

Submitted

Woohoo. This is sounding great. Lots of Christmassy themes going on. Mine's also got elves, snow, reindeer, Santa and Santa's workshop.

Submitted

ha ha, given the theme, I think we're gonna see a lot of similar things. ;D

Submitted

Hmm, good question. My game is probably 3. Like Die Hard! Except, not at all. I should have done that instead though, that'd would've been cool. :D

Submitted

Ha ha! I was originally going to use Die Hard as my example for 3, but I was worried about how many people would remember that it's set at Christmas.

Submitted(+2)

Don't we all think of it as one of the best Christmas movies? :D

Submitted

I guess it depends on the definition of “Christmassy”?

There’s no Santa, no elf, no reindeer in my game. In fact, there not even Christmas!

But I swear it’s still Christmas related. So I guess it’s a 1-2 for me? (It may be more according on how you interpret the game.)

Submitted

Sometime early in the jam, I recall Chris saying "just add a Christmas tree".  :-)

Host(+1)

shhh - that's a loophole.