Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What counts as a game breaking bug?

A topic by Crunchy_Yoghurt created 3 days ago Views: 138 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted(+1)

In the rules section they say "Game files are not locked so if you discover a major issue with your game file it is possible to change this afterwards, just make sure you make a submission before the deadline. " what exactly counts as a major issue? 

Here are some of the issues I have, but I don't want to get disqualified if it's not a major issue

1. My games level changer collision box is in the wrong position so no one knows how to make it to the final level

2. There are controls for arrow keys but the action keys are still shift and space instead of z, x and c, making arrow keys virtually unplayable

3. The games resolution is 1920 x 1080 which makes it a little bit to big for the itch page and I cant resize it in the itch because it anchors to the bottom left

Submitted

I actually found the collision box at the end of the game and finished it! 

Now to answer the question, I've read in the discord that litteraly the only thing that the mods think are game breaking bugs are when you just can't play your game. So it doesn't launch or anything. So all of these wouldn't exactly fall under that category.

I've already made the mistake of updating my game because the game did weird stuff when you beat it and died at the same time because I thought it was a "game breaking bug" at the time but now I'm rather scared for disqualification. I read the rules, just interpreted them differently...

If I was you I wouldn't risk it, your game was a lot of fun so. It just makes sure you at least don't have to fear a DQ.

Submitted

My team had accidentally uploaded the source code instead of the actual game, so we had to update it. I left that in the description though, so we are also hoping for no disqualification. :)

Submitted

Yeah I'm genuinely feeling really anxious right now because this is my first jam and I really don't want to be disqualified. Thinking about just asking mod instead of waiting it out.

Submitted

Don't feel to anxious. Even if we get disqualified, there are other game jams. :)

Submitted

Thank you :)

Submitted

No problem!

Submitted

Ok noted thnx for the response

Submitted(+1)

You can write to the organisers in discord, but I am 99% sure they will tell you that those are not qualifying as game breaking. As long as people can play it, and even finish it, it is what it is now, unfortunately.