Skip to main content

On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
TagsGame Engines

So, how many people needed to redo huge sections to get tile count down?

A topic by Eli Haun created 23 days ago Views: 391 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted(+1)

Just the title.  I ended up redrawing my art 5-6 times, changing the background, the merging shapes, and changing the dithering until I got down to the 190 unique tile limit.  How did YOU do it?  any tips for others?

Submitted

made my first draft and I have 304 unique tiles :/

Submitted

on my 3rd attempt and im at 236 unique tiles. My startegy is copying over some tile patterns, like using 5 unique tiles per texture. or at least im trying

Submitted

Knowing that the hard limit is 192, I try to think of things that naturally have a ton of repeated tiles. My first draft for this year came out to be 187 unique, so I luckily had a few to spare if needed.

Submitted

I remember seeing BJG show his process last year so I've been training for a month to learn to work within that limitation lol, got like 40 tiles and a big background piece to do, good luck guys

Submitted

After my first attempt, I restricted my working space a lot by making a checkerboard pattern 16 pixels along the outer edge (one 8x8 color tile and then a second one). This way I have a pattern that looks neat and it makes it more difficult for me to hit the limit since these only take up 2 unique tiles total.

Submitted(+1)

Adding a border helped a lot, thanks 馃憤 I had so many more tiles I could add a lot more details.

Submitted

Awesome! Glad it helped!

Submitted

First attempt was about 210 so I didn鈥檛 have it that bad but ended up at 190 I think.

Submitted

Took me about a dozen tries!  It's my first time doing this kind of restrictive pixel art but I really enjoyed the way it made me think through where it was worth investing in extra details, and where it was better to sacrifice things.  The restriction might be a good way to tackle creative block!

Submitted

What I did at the start was scribble out roughs in the areas i knew would be detailed and then uploaded it to the checker- when i had a grasp of the count I just did the important stuff-leaving a handful of tiles available for embellishment afterwards. Better to be under then work up toward the limit i think! Though I'm not a pixel artist lol I have no idea :)

Submitted

I usually start by drawing the important parts of the piece (usually a couple of characters and some defining traits of the environment they're in)  then I add more and more details ( background, objects, additional details on characters and environment) to fill the tile count, then try to see if some tiles can be reused in some places (usually some background tiles can be reused if you work with some abstract landscapes, or lighting) it's a a really fun exercise.