Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

using adventuron in other jams

A topic by Bastian created Jul 18, 2020 Views: 394 Replies: 28
Viewing posts 1 to 6

Hi, this is a question directed towards Chris the maker of Adventuron engine. Chris, is it ok if we use adventuron to make text adventure games for other game jams as to spread the information about this tool? Any legal issues with this?

There is currently starting in 5 days this game jam : https://itch.io/jam/i-cant-write-but-want-to-tell-a-story
And they allow use of any tool to make various story telling games. No restrictions so far.

Who would like to join? :)

Host

Of course you can use adventuron in other jams.

Currently Adventuron is for non commercial use, and has a few other limitations too (see the documentations) but generally speaking I'd be very happy to see it used in other jams.

(3 edits)

Fantastic. I write there some information about the possibilities in adventuron engine.

One question on you Chris. The choose your own story book mode - is it in development or finished? I am currently playing in the classrom with this mode and it seems to work with the basics i discovered. I can navigate between pages and add choices based on game variables. I suppose there is no need for locations, connections, objects or inventory? Any other game enhancing hidden features supported?

The story book tutorial i provide will be here : https://rigachupe.itch.io/adventuron-engine-tutorials

EDIT : Alright, couple of hours tinkering with adventuron and i created a template for new mode gamebooks. With inventory, sell/buy shops, quests, fighting monsters and making choices. Source is provided on the link.

Host (2 edits)

HI Rigachupe.

Very innovative use of Adventuron. I actually know one user that has been doing something very similar so it's interesting to see you arrive at something very similar independently.

I would ask that you don't use copyrighted brand names of book series in the demo, in your itch posts, and on the demo page. 

Please refer to this genre as "gamebook", which is a safe descriptive category.

You also don't have to put my name next to Adventuron.  I'm fine with the Adventuron credit.

Chris

Ok thanks for the info on copyright. I hope i changed all of the brand names to "gamebook". You name removed :) sorry for that.

Who is the other guy that makes similiar game mode as me? Is he making games on your JAMs too?

(1 edit)

Chris is this possible to do with adventuron book mode?

I have page 001. I want to write description but there are no choices only press any key prompt. After pressing key i goto page 002. And again i output description and wait for key. After that the book ends.

I describe the pages in on describe code part. But this way i see output from both pages and then the press any key prompt blinks. I will post the code tomorrow. Maybe it is just something weird that i do with the goto command. When i use add option and inside it goto page commabd it works as intended.

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out the next mornin.. problem with the :done; commands they are very important :) here is the code 

themes {
   rounded_orbit : theme {
      extends = two
      theme_settings {
         capitalization = original
         layout         = SB O X 
         columns        = 48
         shader         = none
         hide_status_bar_on_endgame = false
      }
      screen {
         experimental_paper_section_corner_rounding = 5
         status_bar_padding_top                     = 4
         status_bar_padding_bottom                  = 3
      }
      colors {
         border                      = #50D
         paper                       = #000
         status_bar_paper            = #090
         status_bar_pen              = 14
      }
   }
}

start_theme = rounded_orbit

game_information {
   game_name        = test weird page bug
   game_shortname   = IOC
   written_by       = Rigachupe
   year_of_original = 2020
   year_of_release  = 2020
   uuid             = 91383016-8664-4c4c-ad93-0ff6ba2c19c7
   short_synopsis   = Gamebook Story
   game_version     = 1.1.2
}

game_settings {
   gamebook_page_scan_regex = true
}

start_at = 001_start

pages {
   001_start : page "Page 1" ;
   002_some_event : page "Page 2" ;
   003_the_end : page "Page 3" ;
}

on_describe {
   : if (is_at "001_start") {
      : print "This is start page" ;
      : add_choice "goto page 2"  {
         : goto "002_some_event" ;
      }
      : choose "what now?" ;
   }

: if (is_at "002_some_event") {
      : print "This is second page" ;
      : press_any_key ;
      : goto "003_the_end" ;
      : done;
   }

: if (is_at "003_the_end") {
      : print "This is third page" ;
      : done;
   }
}

Host

Just want to say it might be easier to put your on_describe {} blocks inside the page directly....

For pages, I made on_describe {} implicit inside the {}.

001_start : page "You are in a room." {

: add_choice "Choice text 1"  {
         // Do something
      }

: add_choice "Choice text 2"  {
         // Do something         
      }

: add_choice "Choice text 3"  {
         // Do something
      }

: choose "Choose ..." ;

}

That is nice, thanks for the tip. But something is not allowed this way. Look at this code please, i explain underneath what is strange looking to me :

pages {
   001_start : page "Page 1" {
      : print "This is start page" ;
      : add_choice "goto page 2"  {
         : goto "002_some_event" ;
      }
      : gosub "select" ;
   };
   002_some_event : page "Page 2" {
      : print "This is second page" ;
      : press_any_key ;
      : if (true) {
         : goto "003_the_end" ; -> works only when inside if or choice
      }
      //: goto "003_the_end" ; -> why not directly?
      //: done; -> ok no needed
   };
   003_the_end : page "Page 3" {
      : print "This is third page" ;
      //: done; -> ok, no needed
   };
}

subroutines {
   select : subroutine {
      : choose "what now?" ;
      : done ;
   }
}

I understand the ":done;" can be deleted, that is fine. But the "goto page" command cannot exist without if or choice. There are sometimes pages where you do not have any choice just show some text, wait for 'press any key' and 'jump to this page'. This can be added as "choice" or "always true if statement" workaround... Is there any possibility that the goto command in future version would work without if/choice?

Host

sorry, you should use beta version, I should have mentiomed that.

adventuron.io/beta

Sorcery! (in a good way) 

In beta it works, perfect :) thanks.

Submitted

Holy mackeral. There are 1,639 registered in that other jam and it's only just started today. There's something like 63 threads on the community forum and it sounds like chaos.

It makes our little community sound a lot more focused and friendly.

Just numbers. Lots of them will propably do nothing at all. They try to make teams for a 17 days jam which sound to me as an overkill but it is first time i witness this. So far no one replied on my adventuron thread there but someone downloaded the game templates from my itch io page.

Host

Are you entering the other gamejamRigachupe?

(+1)

Yes i already entered with an interesting idea. It is about the way objects from scene are dissasembled and reassembled as something else :D. For example you find and icecube and tea. You can split icecube into ice and cube objects. Then you can combine ice+tea = icetea. The way it works gives a lot of possibilities to mess with and have fun in the game. Also i finally started to use the new way of room definitions so the code is more readable. 

Sadly, again time is short and there are new issues that i need to solve. So when i get to it the jam could be at the end dammit :-/. 

Chris would you consider please adding vertical scrollbar into the adventuron IDE? It would be faster to click and drag the scrollbar than scrolling with mouse or key pressing. And maybe highlighting with some color small parts of the scrolling area to indicate where are booleans defined, where is on_start, where is on_describe etc... so you just click and the IDE jumps there. This is good when you write new boolean variable somewhere in the code for the first time and then you need to scroll manually (or ctrl+f search) to boolean section to define it there. Or if it is too much then an easier method would be alt+left and alt+right to jump between the defined sections. 

Submitted

I vote for vertical scroll bars. I asked for it years ago (well, it seems like that), but they haven't eventuated yet. Without vertical scroll bars, you don't know where you are within the code or what proportion of the total code is taken up by the visible area. You can't scroll without losing your selection, unless you want to spend ages scrolling around with the mouse wheel. And you can't scroll quickly to other parts of the code if you have an error and the section shortcut menu is missing.

Host

ok, I'll see if I can add a vertical scroll bar option to adventuron. I personally find them difficult to use but I appreciate it's subjective therefore I shouldn't impose my preference on everyone else.

Host

Vertical scrolbars have been added to the beta version.

As far as the other requests, they are noted, but fairly low priority for now as it's a lot of time investment to write a custom renderer for the scroll bars. I will try to work on better jump navigation, but I maintain that CONTROL + F, then typing the name of the section is likely faster (or ultra marginally slower) than any jump list changes I can make.

Thank you for the scrollbar.

Host

Rigachupe,

Do make sure you don't print too much text paragraphs without adding : press_any_key; events between them, especially if you lock the layout.

And do test on mobile. Use layout_mobile and avoid using LOCK on mobile.

Chris

What exactly lock layout means? Is that the commands that cause to wait for something like asking question or choice selection?

Host

Hi Rigachupe.

I can see that Doodley the Ducktective and your other new game both have the same "upload settings" problem with Itch. 

Please pay attention to section 9 in this document (games should launch in full screen, be mobile friendly, and select "portrait" mode).

https://adventuron.io/documentation/uploading.html

Also, your gamebook style game seems to have too much text for the "border" mode. Are you extending the "TWO" theme? If so, that's not ideal for the type of game you are writing. I recommend that you set the number of columns to 72 in your theme. You might be better off with a more readable font too.

themes {
   your_theme : theme {
      theme_settings {
         columns = 72
         columns_mobile = 40
         font = plotter_bold_extended
      }
   }
}

Please write to me at info@adventuron.io and I'd like to work with you to show you all the different display options as it does seem that you are sticking to the TWO theme. If that's out of choice, don't worry about it, but I did notice that it's not optimized for high text games, so I do think at the very least, you need to increase the columns that are displayed, even if keeping everything else the same.

Chris

Submitted

After an "Invalid choice", there's an extra line feed after the new "Select option..."

Host

is that an adventuron issue?

Submitted

I guess, this happens with Rigachupe’s GameBookTemplate_20200719_2049.txt:

I tested it and it has to do something with the html element of list i quess. I remember when my attempts to fix it in java htmleditor and it was working very weird. The <li> and </li> elements inserted into document added newline. Maybe it is similiar to this in some way.

themes->themesettings and there : 
lister_choices {
         gamebook_choice_list_style = inline_no_question
         gamebook_choice_list_style_mobile = inline_no_question
      }

When i set this as no_list, inline or inline_no_question it works, no additional newline inserted after entering invalid choice.
When i change it to : default, list, numeric_list, numeric_list_always, alpha_list it adds newline after entering invalid choice.

Something else is wrong with the choices. You can download and test it from here : https://rigachupe.itch.io/adventuron-engine-tutorials and there look for file "bugged - GameBookTemplate_20200803_1605.txt"

To test the bug you start in forest. Click line 2. and you see 'just test 1' message. Click line 9. and you see 'just test 8.'. Now click 1. to move into river page. Click 3. to return back to forest page. Now there is one more option on line 2. Click 3. and it shows 'just test 3' and should be 'just test 1'. Even clicking on 1. should move to river but instead it shows 'just test 1'. Seems to me like clicking the row uses the text as if entered into prompt? Because when i enter with keyboard 1,3 or 10 it works normally. 

Host

I can't look at this for another couple of days (travelling between continents). I will try to look at it asap though, although it could be the weekend,

Host

Please try beta 55k.

Working like charm now. Thanks for the fix.