Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Introductions

A topic by Charley the Postman created Mar 02, 2024 Views: 242 Replies: 20
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Host

Anyone who has not yet introduced themselves, you are completely free to do so here! 

Hello! Well this is going to hopefully be my first successful game jam I've joined. This will be my first game, I have no history of game dev, and I've been learning a lot of blender these last few weeks. So basically restarting a lot.

Submitted

Here's a good Youtuber if you're still learning Blender:

RyanKingArt

And do you use Unity? if so, I have a few useful Youtube channels I can direct you to.

Thanks, no I am trying to learn Godot actually. I discovered Godot doesn't like triangles from planes in blender last night and I wasn't able to walk around in my map yet. It was like falling onto a glue trap. lol 

Host

I would recommend starting a Youtube channel soon. Here is a guy who did this : (4) Blackthornprod - YouTube

Thanks! I've been watching a lot of different videos recently and made a lot of progress, but I am still not sure why adding -col to blender meshes makes it so my player cant walk on anything lol

Host

Yeah I have no idea :D that's odd. There are a of funny bugs that pop up in game dev. 

I figured out that if I subdivide the surface on blender and create more polygons then I can walk freely.  Easy fix but took a lot of troubleshooting!

Submitted

Welcome to the Jam!

I wish you luck with your entry. If you get stuck and need help with Blender I may be able to help out. Keep us informed of your project as it unfolds!

Restarting and encountering challenges is a frequent occurrence when working on game projects and I revel in these moments as it's often at times of confusion that I learn the most.

Try not to get discouraged and don't be afraid to take breaks if you find your motivation waning.

I find lots of people (myself included) - find pacing themselves when learning new skills is the most challenging aspect of it.

Sometimes taking a little break and seeking help is the best thing you can do as a beginner.

If you need help with Blender or to bounce some ideas back and forth feel free to hit me up.

Happy Gaming!

Thanks for the advice! I am definitely feeling a lot of this now. lol

Submitted

I had recently migrated from Cinema 4D to Blender. Feel free to shoot me questions in case you get stuck. All the best on your first jam!!

Submitted(+1)

Hi! This is going to be the first game jam I ever participated in. I’m working on a survival horror game in QB64 with my friend who is a musician. I have lots of experience programming in QB64 and making games with my friend so it’s going to be very exciting to see what we and everyone else comes up with.

Host

QB64? Never heard of that one. Man, seems like I discover a new game engine/programming language every day!

Submitted

QB64 is a modern version of QBASIC.

Host

Ohhhh. Hmm. I never learned it, but I hear about it from time to time. Cool!

Submitted

Wow, that’s a very interesting choice of engine. Is the game going to be a text based adventure game like the classics?

All the best!

Submitted

Hello! The game will be a text-based adventure with RPG-style battles. You move your character on the world map, which looks like a chess board. You can analyze your surroundings, use, and read items in your inventory. You can also read them if there is text on them. If you encounter a monster, then you battle. 

Submitted

That sounds like a ton of fun, Neils4 Looking forward to playing your game

Submitted(+1)

Thank you! I can’t wait to see your 3D models! ^_^ Be prepared for a killer original horror-style soundtrack!

Submitted

🙌

Submitted(+1)

Hi, I’m Ajay from the Devilwork.shop, and am excited to be here for this game jam! I’m bringing my skills in 3D modeling to the table and can’t wait to see the games created in this jam - cheers to you all!