Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Playtest Pathfinder!

A topic by Cascading Style Sheets created Aug 06, 2020 Views: 342 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted

A puzzle-stealth game where you must rewind time to use your previous knowledge of the patrol routes to sneak in undetected.

Feedback welcome!

The game will crash after the 3rd level as the rest haven't been added in yet

https://cascadingstylesheets.itch.io/pathfinder

Password is: spaghetti-code-nightmare

(yes it really is that bad lol)

Submitted

Only played the first level as I'm trying to keep it fresh and exciting for voting time but really like the execution on the theme, looks like one I'll have some fun with if the levels are well designed

Submitted

I played a couple of levels and I really liked it :3 I just would like to add some information about the enemies, their radio vision or something else, but it's really good :3

Submitted

Thanks for the feedback!
The intro tutorial now has information about the guards' detection radius, instead of just a generic "Avoid them"

Submitted

Awesome! Nice game btw, I've been wondering how to make a grid base path finder for other games, do you use Unity? can you give me a hint of how to do that? Doesn't matter if it's on another engine.

Submitted

It is in fact on unity, but i'm not sure how to answer your question, what part do you mean?

For the grid i just drew tiles in paint.net (use aseprite if youre willing to pay for it, as its actually designed for sprite art) then used the Tilemap system in unity.

Submitted

More about the coding part, how the path takes an exact tile, like a 1:1 position, and not a 1.0948324:2.3152

Submitted

pretty awesome game so far! keep it up!

Submitted

Hey there! Long time no see. :p

Just a couple changes that I would make:

• Change from Enter to start to Space, it's already near your hands and you dont have to remove your hands from mouse and wasd to get to.
  • on click (of previous pathing point) delete everything passed that point. 
  • Marker to indicate where you paused while in the pathing menu. 

And I did notice one bug..... I scrolled the page while transitioning and broke everything...... 

Submitted

For the crash was that after the third level? if so thats expected behavior as its trying to load a scene I simply haven't made yet

Submitted (1 edit)

It was the transition after beating 3. 

Also, I replicated it again. not as hard of a crash this time. 

Submitted (1 edit)

Yea, thats because its trying to load level 4, which wasn't in this build of the game. The noise the crash makes just depends on what point the music was playing at.

Edit: or is something else happening? if you have video recording software could you make a quick clip of it?

Submitted

It might just be trying to load level 4 which isnt implemented. 

I like the new sight indicators. :)

Submitted

yea lol, once i stopped being scared of manual programming shaders with hlsl it was really easy lol

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Oh lol, I also made a stealth puzzle game.

Anyways, it looks really good and it is a really cool idea, but I think that if you could make vision cones for the guards it will really help. It is a bit hard to know whether you will be out of range or in danger.

EDIT: nvm, didn't see that you changed it. If you have time, maybe update the version?

Submitted

Me too

Submitted

a vision cone was actually something i had planned for a while but i keep running into a bug preventing stencil shaders from working, if i have time after finishing the levels ill definitely try to get it working

Submitted (1 edit)

I've updated the Itch.io page to have the newest build, including:

Guard vision cone,

Better tutorial text,

Improved blueprint screen (rewinds automatically to the nearest changed path, and reset button)

Credits (game no longer crashes after final level),

and one of the new levels (the rest will be release when the jam is done)

Thanks for playtesting!

Submitted

Really fun and interesting game. One improvement you could do is allow dragging path at any point to allow for slight tweaks without having to redraw entire path.