SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Stats & Tips] With 1 day left ~560 out of ~1900 games have over 20 ratings

A topic by Deleted Account created Mar 06, 2021 Views: 255 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Deleted post
Submitted(+3)

The jam do also needs to be better at promoting games with less the 20 rating. There is also a lot of people that needs to learn that playing and rating games, is an important part of a game jam. Only 560 out of 1900 games that have reach 20 ratings is really bad, and we could and we needs to do much better. I think that most the issue comes from the focus on making games, and much less on rating and giving feedback on games. A jam is a cooperation between makers and players. 

Feedback and rating hopefully makes us better game developers.

Deleted post
Submitted

You are absolutely right, but this does not mean that we can't do better.

Deleted post
Submitted(+1)

I agree that a close to 20 ratings tab would be a good idea, especially here close to the deadline. But I also often feeling bad for some of the games that nearly gets no feedback or ratings. Especially for them that have made a good game, but just not made any marketing or forgot to give feedback on others games. 

I also believe for this kind of jam, with a lot of new jammers, there needs to be more help with how to upload a games correctly. I see way too many people only uploading a .exe file, or making a web version that for some reason is not working. And please upload a  Cover image and some screenshots. 

Submitted(+1)

Also a huge part of getting more rates is advertising as much as you can on the first days. This is when the most people are actively playing the games, so if you get your game to the top of the "most rated category" or "Popular", more people will end up seeing it. Also focusing more on GIVING feedback rather than asking for it will make the other creators more likely to want to help you as well (as you said). 

I ended up doing most of those things, but didn't do some such as the GIF and whatnot. I have one less rating than you so congrats on 110, very impressive! Even though my game is very buggy (and now I know the bugs thanks to all the feedback), it goes to show that your game doesn't have to be as polished/finished as A song of Fire And Water , but if you play your cards right, you can get as much feedback as you need.

anyway, here's mine!

you should look in the Help menu before starting, and there are Hints and spoilers in the description if you get stuck :)

https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-5/rate/927134

*note the lack of a GIF lol 

Submitted(+1)

There is often also a panic rush the last day(s) before the rating ends. And with some aggressive marketing I actorly believe and hope some of you can reach the goal of 20 ratings.

Deleted post
Submitted

I found that making community posts can be a great way to gain ratings. If you choose to make one, make sure to encourage comments and to reply to other people's comments, as every comment or reply will push the post back to the top of the page

Submitted(+1)

You're absolutely right. Some people think that just uploading the game would do the magic. There's a lot of social aspect in the jam too.
I've spend the last 13 days playing and giving as much feedback as I could to the games I've played.
Yesterday I dedicate just to play games under 20 rating from a community post... only 2 of those devs (from 9 games rated and reviewed) reply on their comments. That helps too. If people takes the time to write you a review, giving just a like won't help other people to play your game. At least a "thanks for your feedback" would be nice. 1 of those games I mention... the dev didn't reply one single feedback comment.

Anyway, still one of the best and more entertaining experience in the game dev world. I've played some amazing titles, and even follow some users for keeping track of their work.

If anyone interesting in checking my game, here's the link.
https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-5/rate/928191Brotherhood of the Dragon

Rescue the brotherhood knights and fight the fearsome dragon.
Submitted(+1)

I agree response on feedback is good thing. Especially when you given a longer feedback. It also gives a possibility for starting a dialog. I have before helped a lot of people fixing bugs, because they have response on feedback I have given them.

I do also agree with you that this kind of jams, gives a lot of interesting and fun games. But there is also a lot of new game developers, so there is also some really buggy and weird games. But okay this is also a part of the charm of this kind of jams.

Submitted(+1)

Exactly! I ended some games very happy that I give them a chance. Some real jewels with great potential.
Also helped some pointing some bugs or giving improvement tips.

Submitted(+2)

What i really will take to my heart for the next game jam is working with gifs ^^
they just look amazing and i now question myself for not making and using them.

"Rate games early" is also a thing i will do in the next game jam, this time i was very burned out because of things that happend outside of the jam.

(web version was planned but i failed :| the game was extremly buggy until the last minutes of the game jam oopise >.<)
Also i hope that next game jam my real life will just on time take at least 6 out of the 7 days to work on the game,
Im a bit sorry for my team that i had problems from the days 2-4 so such important things as the camera were made in the last hours and minutes before deadline and other things had to be left out or werent polished, which now revenges itself.

I would love a close to 20 ratings tab, because i would use it to help everyone get at least 20 ratings, because i cant play all the games in this short amount of time, - it would also help our game right now which is close to 20 ratings.
https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-5/rate/926859

what i really love about game jams is that im learning so much new stuff, this game jam also was a treasure of new knowledge. :D

Thank you for the tricks, I hope i wont forget them. I will also share this post :)