Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Which course did you sign up for?

A topic by waldorfhammer created 24 days ago Views: 343 Replies: 27
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted(+2)

I signed up for Complete Unity 2D Developer and am looking forward to starting.  I'm curious what courses others have picked.

Submitted

I went for the Audio and SFX course, because there's only one game maker course and I don't think I'd learn much from it as the audio one.

Submitted(-1)

that sounds cool!  my game for this jam had no sound or music at all, so i could probably benefit from that one too.  :-)  hope it's helpful!

Submitted

Thanks! I'll mention here how it goes :D

Submitted

I went for the blender course

Submitted

I've always been curious about Blender.  I was just reading that it used to have its own embedded game engine, but they dropped that in 2019.  Anyway, I hope it's a great course!

Submitted

I hope so too. and I have also heard something similar to that. not completely sure tho

Submitted

From what I understand the game engine got dropped in favor if focusing their energy on what Blender was meant to do - be a 3D art program. However, Godot 4 has native Blender support so you can load the .blend files directly. Thankfully since Blender is open source and the community is completely unhinged most of the time (in all the best ways mind you), there is a fork of Blender that is all about the game engine you can check it out here: https://upbge.org/

As far as the GameDev.tv Blender courses go however, Grant is an amazing instructor so I'm sure anyone who picks up his Blender courses will love it. He also has his own youtube channel with a ton of beginner friendly tutorials, specific guides, and general skill improvement challenges so definitely would be worth looking into if you are new to Blender and want some extra material to learn from :)

Submitted

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Submitted

Same here, went for the "anime" blender course specifically (planning to create 3D games in the future so this may be a great foundation for creating my game characters)

Submitted (1 edit)

My workflow is always slowed down because I am very picky about the  models and art of my game. So I got blender course to speed up my models for my games.

Submitted

Good luck on learning blender mate ✨! Learning it defo opens up brand new opportunities for your future games (whether it's a custom prop, characters, artstyle, etc). Hoping to do the same with myself too (I wanna give VR GameDev a shot in the future so this is a great stepping stone!)

Submitted

yeah mate. I am already excited and I haven't even started yet. Good luck to you as well for your VR GameDev.

Submitted

I went for the same course.  As I'm wanting to use my own assets and make 3D games this one made the most sense to me for now as I have already been learning blender and making simple models for a few months now.

Submitted

Mastering game feel in unity 

Submitted

Pixel Art Characters: Design & Animate a 2D Character

Submitted

We have all of the GameDevTv coding and art courses we want, so i went for one i thought could be interesting Ricks indie game success roadmap course.

Submitted

I picked: UE5 Blueprint FPS: Make Your Own First Person Shooter In Unreal!

I like tutorials where you end up having a "full" game you can use as a template.

I will convert from Blueprint to Angelscript along the way.

Submitted

I was considering getting the Gimp course as a good way to learn pixel art and the Gimp software at once - but apparently they yanked it from the site during the migration or something. Oddly in the side bar when browsing courses one of the filters is Gimp... Oh well. I'm sure there is plenty on YouTube for it.

As such, I'll likely get the "Pixel Art Environments: Design & Animate 2D Environments From Scratch!" as that and the Pixel 2D Character courses are the only ones I don't have which interest me atm (except maybe the Git one, but Git isn't very hard to learn from Youtube tbh).

Now I just need to focus on actually going through the various courses I already have (Yay for HumbleBundles)

Submitted

I think I want to do the pixel art one! Anyone do that one yet?  What  did you think?

Submitted (1 edit)

There are 3 courses for pixel art. Environment art, character design and animation and a very basic introduction. Imo you should learn pixel art from yt . You can even find playlists for pixel art. I'm learning it from yt. I've chosen mastering game feel course as there are not videos related to the topic on yt though there are short insights. Imo You should choose a course that is not available on yt . You have options it's all yours. 

Submitted

What would you recommend for a brand new dev then?  I specialize in visual novels mostly but I'm branching out into other forms of video games. I have a bunch of courses already.... i was thinking one of the 3d blender courses... one of those maybe?

Submitted

Start with Low ploy modelling

Submitted

Ok! Thank you! :D I'll start there.

Submitted

im talking about this https://www.gamedev.tv/bundles/beginner-blender-artist-bundle

Submitted

I chose Pixel Art Characters: Design & Animate a 2D Character. I haven't started it yet so I don't have any feedback on it, but I just wanted to let you know that the courses are also all on Udemy and people leave reviews on them over there so it may be worth taking a look at those if you don't get many responses on here (that's how I decided on which course I wanted).

Submitted

oh awesome! Thank you for letting me know. I will check out the reviews. 

Submitted

has anyone else not gotten an email yet?