Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Browser is king

A topic by Thinking Frog Studios created May 18, 2020 Views: 291 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted(+2)

i just noticed that all the games with the most ratings are playable in browser, not a coincidence... 

Submitted(+1)

Humm. its allot more convenient if you think about it.
without the itch app I have to downlaod the game and then make it exacutable and run it.
in a browser i just open the page and play it.
games that i cant install with the itch app i find myself skipping. I dont really want to bother with it.

Deleted post
Submitted(+1)

I understand what are u talking about by I think that is not a not coincidence. Sometimes is pretty fun to check something out without any struggle with downloads, archives and etc

Submitted(+5)

As a general rule if there's a download available I try to do the download cause they usually run better than in browser. I'm probably in the minority with that philosophy though

Submitted(+2)

That's great that you do that. There tends to be bugs on Browser export that are quite difficult for us to debug in Godot. I have one really obvious one due to the resolution settings I have that sometimes pops up for some people and sometimes not. I do hope that however that plays my game if encountering such an issue, try the download build before moving on.

Submitted(+1)

A part of videogame making is getting visibility. There is a good opportunity here to learn what the top rated games did well and what the lower rating games did wrong.

For example, besides not having browser support, some of the lower rated had issues with their exports or had exports only for one platform.

Also choosing the best screenshot you can possible take is important. 

Once you beging to have clicks and ratings, then it will snowball from there as people will tend to play the ones at the top.

Submitted(+1)

I definitely agree with this! Even if the HTML5 build doesn't run as well as the OS-specific ones, the mere convenience more than makes up for that!