Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

"Fake" Ratings

A topic by MacDudeDude created Feb 21, 2021 Views: 495 Replies: 23
Viewing posts 1 to 12
Submitted (3 edits) (+6)

I'm not trying to take away credit from their games as they do look cool and I know they put in a lot of effort and work, but just a quick glance at some of the most rated games show that they aren't playing them as you can see that the dev(s) are giving "fake" ratings.  They give a rating without playing the game and then leave a link to their game in the comments.  It probably doesn't matter too much but it is definitely annoying to see a comment on your game but they didn't even play it.  Probably best to just delete the comment I guess and move on.  Just wanted to point this out.

Edit:  Also inflating the scores as they do leave ratings(not sure what they rate people).

It looks like they removed the main two people doing this.

Submitted(+3)

EXACTLY!!! Like, someone put a bunch of work into their game and it doesn't take more than 5 - 10 minutes in most cases to play it and leave an honest review :/

Submitted

true, but my current reviews tells me that they are playing the game, I think most people still post honest reviews

Submitted(+1)

It's just a couple of people doing it, but the reviews are copy and paste.   Most people are doing honest reviews luckily.

Submitted

I put my link in my comment, but i also play the game and try to leave meaningful feedback

Submitted

yeah thats what I do

Submitted(+1)

There's no need to leave links. If you submitted a game, Itch links your game under your comment.

Submitted(+1)

I play the games and then give them feedbacks. Normally I don't stop playing until I beat the game or I am too tired to continue....  Which cost a lot of time actually.

But I would say it is actually hard to rate because I don't really know what the standard is...

At least I know people comment at my game really played the game, which is  a good news to me.

Submitted

I try and beat the game before rating it as well which does mean it takes a while to review games.  I usually just review games and then keep the ratings relative to other ones I have rated, sometimes going back to adjust scores.  I'm glad most people review honestly.

Submitted(+1)

Yea, I think most people join the jam for fun and it is really a enjoyable experience trying out this many of games.

I also rate the games by that way, just wish the score system is more detailed so everyone can make score under similar standard.

Submitted

Hi! Very sorry to bother you, but I just need 1 more rate, if you can. I'm playing yours now!

Newtraction is a puzzler where you manipulate gravity to bring your orbs together.

Submitted

Just rated. Cool game ! You did a outstanding job.

Submitted (1 edit)

Thanks again <3 You did great as well!

Submitted

the sad part is the fish one is really good… when the bot/person posted on my game, i replied in the same style in his game, but also post my opinion, in hopes the dude take the hint and come back to play mine…

Hmm...

Where is my Game???

Submitted(+1)

I always make sure to play a game and rate it fairly

Submitted

I know a lot of people do, I'm just talking about the ones where they are commenting and rating 2-3 games a minute.

Submitted(+1)

I know, it sucks, I obviously want my game to succeed but no point being disingenuous

Submitted(+1)

Check out the post from a previous Brackey's Game Jam, it's a common problem unfortunately in anything like this.

https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-4/topic/920782/cheaters-and-fake-raters

I think a mod replied about a protocol they have to manage it the best they can.

Submitted(+1)

Wow it's the exact same thing yah, at least the ratings they give won't really matter according to the mod reply.

Submitted(+1)

Yup, the mods look pretty attentive as they're well aware of this-- we should be fine once the two weeks for voting start to close.

Best of luck on your game! :)

Submitted

This is very true

As the creator one of the most rated games i can say that quite a few of my comments are just "cool game", and that doesn't seem like something people who actually played the game would say.

There are of course mostly people who clearly do play the game, but then there are those few that likely don't

Submitted

If you take a look at the most rated game of the jam, it actually has fewer comments than mine, yet over 10x as many ratings...

My entry, Newtraction, for reference.

Submitted

This is not necessarily an issue. When a game already have a lot of comments, you will often see that a lot people not writes comment and only gives a rating. When jam is near the end you will also see a lot ratings without any comments.