Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Done! That was intense.

A topic by scruffyowl created May 30, 2022 Views: 168 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

Phew, even though I've done small games in the past, this is my first game jam. It's quite a difference having a hard deadline, knowing that people will actually have to make sense of the game as it stands. Not sure I succeeded there :)

Felt very wise about doing a prototype of the mechanics first, but then vastly underestimated the sheer number of sprites and animations required to just get a minimum of readability of what's happening on screen! Still, this is also the first game where I actually managed to put in sounds, yay!

Do you guys feel like you now have something to develop into a bigger game? Or is it just a one-off for you and on to the next?

Need a break now, but am looking forward to check out all the submissions over the next few days!

Submitted

Congrats on your first game jam! This is only my second jam, but I definitely agree on the hard deadline thing! It really helps to get yourself to push forward and finish things instead of endlessly tinkering.

At first, I planned this game to be a one-off, but I wasn't able to implement any actually interesting level design. I still like the concept, so I might try to develop it into a bigger game, but in the end, it will probably still be something small. Definitely not something I plan to devote more than a few months to, but who knows!

Submitted

Yeah, paradoxically the time pressure made it more relaxing to just produce code and graphics to get the damn thing to work, thinking about the concept and scope of the game, instead of software architecture :)

Submitted

Hey congrats! The final project for this game jam is not likely to hit store shelves - even if I make more levels, etc. I told myself that was a likely outcome when I started. I learned a whole lot. But I could imagine, with some improved assets and some more tweaking, there are pieces that could make a good, truly playable game

Submitted

Congrats to you, too! I like to compare the experience to drawing thumbnails: maybe one out of 5 is really worth taking further. And you always learn and collect valuable lessons, assets and ideas.

Submitted

This was my first game jam as well! The game I made was a one-off this time, but I do plan on using a future game jam to maybe submit a demo game of something I want to make in the future. I don't know for sure yet, but I am thinking of maybe doing something like that.

Submitted

I definitely want to do more jams like this in the future. I've only heard of  1-2 day events before, which wouldn't be my thing. Around a week feels good, though.

Submitted (1 edit)

Agreed, it was intense! I did a 3-day game jam prior to this one, but somehow felt more out of breath with this one. Plus, I had so much work to do that I found it hard to juggle the jam with the rest of my responsibilities! At least, I had decided from the get-go that I would just treat this as a practice project and that I was not trying to come up with something revolutionary, just a good occasion to try a few concepts I wanted to work on with a strict deadline to ensure I actually finish it!

Submitted

Three days sounds really hard. But maybe it makes it easier to lower one's own expectations. Congrats on finishing, you approach seems to have worked out :)