Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Progression thread

A topic by Branno created Aug 16, 2020 Views: 874 Replies: 22
Viewing posts 1 to 21
Submitted(+1)

This is a thread for those that want to post updates. 

Feel free to post whatever you want, whether it be a blog, dev vlog, images, short video etc.

I'm aiming to make a tower defence like game. I finally have build-able towers, basic enemy AI, bombs and a way to kill enemies. Webm

Submitted

Day 2: UI pretty much complete, a new tower and wave mechanics. webm

Submitted

First day: I have the basic player mechanics, (I might add more, I'm not sure) enemy movement, and the first level finished. 

Still to-do:

Add a few more enemies

Add music

Add death animations

Add a main menu

Optional extras:

Particle effects for movement/attacking

Additional weapons

Additional movement abilities

Submitted

Day 3: I now have a mini map, as well as a title screen and game over. Webm

Submitted

boi nice profile pic tho...

Submitted (1 edit)

Day 4: Upgrade system in place. I'm pretty much done implementing systems and can now focus on adding content and variety to the game. webm

Submitted

Here's my overall progress in this video.

Submitted

I've been keeping a timelog, so I figure I might as well post it here:

1:04

Basic platforming controls, health system implemented

4:19

Added blood floor painting, health, health pickups, enemy

7:05

Different weapons implemented, weapon state machine implemented, aiming system, weapon swaps

9:23

Weapon slot UI implemented, weapon pickups implemented

10:06

Started implementing the beginning of the shop, including menu screens, fixing meat pickups

12:00

Added stat shop with scaling prices, gold, reworked UI

12:39

Added another weapon and changed the weapon framework

13:49

Implemented enemies and player damage

14:30

Implemented different weapon mechanics: shotgun and machine gun

15:40

Implemented the blood exploder

18:00

Improved the stat shop, added icons, borders. Added fonts and themes.

20:09

Coded the opening cut scene, including animations, run counter and text boxes

20:43

Added death tracker, crates, changed shop menu

21:33

Added special icons for each weapon, made crate destruction permanent

I was busy  the past few days so I just started work on my  naval combat based top down shooter game. In about 5 hours of work, I have implemented

basic player movement

gun types(canon, machine gun)

ship with destructable enviroment 

particle  efffects for a moving background and a trailing effect for the player's ship

music

to implement

enemy AI and ship

wave  /difficulty system

main  menu

possible implemenation

boss after a few waves

ammo system

Day 2 update:    enemy AI with different types of guns

I got a friend to help with  the desgins for the ships and enemies

ditched the wave system for a scripted approach  which spawns certain eneimes at certain events(timer  or score limit) via state machine

fonts and death  screen

to implement: boss level

main menu/better UI/a tutorial

Submitted

I have implemented basic movement and a simple dash. One enemy that gets stronger over time and player attacking and restarting scene when the player dies.

What engine are you using?

Submitted

I am using Construct 3.  Simple, Easy to use 2D game engine. I', transferring to Unity thoug

Submitted (1 edit)

Day 5: added about 35 different upgrades. pic

Submitted

Boss and more level design.  1st enemy, Warrior, and 2nd enemy, Wizard. The Boss fight has two stage though is still very unbalanced. Checkpoints added, and health pickups. Main menu screen with exit button and start button. Music has also been added.

Submitted

I manage to make a level, by taking little inspiration from the Made in abyss anime soon i'll provide you a link for the video... 

Submitted

Day 6: added some enemy variety. I have 4 types of enemies with 5 colors to indicate difficulty. webm

Submitted

you can watch the level design progress here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaT8PaoOKuY&feature=youtu.be

Submitted

Game is submitted, still had some time on the clock but I'm on vacation now so I'm finished for now ;)

So here's how I progressed:

Day 1:

General fiddling till I figured out what I wanted to do. Settled on multiplayer shooter where players can shift their gravity. No idea why, just a random mix of things I wanted to try anyway. Got player movement, gravity shifting working in a cobbled together level and managed to get multiplayer working for movement.

Day 2:

Made selectable player avatars and got a pistol working. Got the idea that I could add some destructible objects to use more of the art pack. Started with the plants. Spent way too long on that, didn't get it to work properly.

Day 3:

Added more guns and damage for players. Made the plants only destructible by the splash damage of the newly added rocket launcher. Added health bars

Day 4:

Build a lobby server to register and fetch active games. Tried a connection outside by LAN for the first time. Should have tried that earlier...

Day 5:

Replaced godot's MultiplayerENet with the new WebRTC components. Worked good and with ultimately very little changes but took some fiddling and multiple tries due to brain farts. Tested for the first time with multiple players. Fixed some bugs, changed some guns and played for a while. Still missing lots of stuff but quite relieved it's at least fun to play.

Day 6:

Slapped together some comfort features like a stats screen, a way to disconnect from a server, kill messages, volume controls and some sounds. Fixed a few more bugs. And then played some more.

Still have a few features and ideas left for after the jam and some things still aren't working like I want them to but overall I'm quite happy for the time I put (and with it being my second game overall). 

Not quite sure if multiplayer was a good idea for the jam, because it takes at least two players to play the game in a meaningful way. But it's done now so too late for that.

Submitted

Just submitted the game with a decent amount of time left. I was thinking about adding a few more weapons and levels, but didn't think I could re-do a chunk of the game in time. You can check it out here

Submitted (1 edit)

Day 8. Had a friend come over to play test. Got some good feedback. Added a wave preview screen, tower cost display and tower range display.twitter video

Submitted

Day 8, first time posting on this thread, finished my game lol

Submitted (4 edits)

Day 9. I have submitted my project. A lot of fun little issues i didn't realise i would have to deal with when i exported. Was hoping for 1:1 but had to compromise.

I added 28 more waves of enemies (total 35). 32 extra upgrades totalling 59. Enemy hp bars for the big guys and just so much more. Glad to have this done. Please check out Defending Fort Kenstone

EDIT: And i have just fixed a game breaking bug i somehow didn't notice. It is a bad idea to have 20 different enemies scan 500+ objects every frame. Resolved now.