Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[ ❗ ] Pre-jam Introductions & Questionnaire! Sticky

A topic by lysander created Jul 07, 2023 Views: 1,695 Replies: 49
Viewing posts 1 to 49
Jam Host(+1)

Welcome to My First Game Jam: Summer 2023! For those of you just joining us, it's been a tradition to kick things off with a little getting-to-know-you questionnaire! For the first-time game developer, things can be pretty intimidating... which is why we want to show you you're not alone! This is not a required activity— it's just meant as a way to break into the community for returning jammers and newbies alike.

We'd love for you to share your influences, passions, and jam goals with the rest of us. Who knows — you might meet a potential team member, or even a new friend!

(These questions are entirely optional; they're just here to warm things up, so feel free to skip them as needed!)

Onto the questions!

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself? 

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?  

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?  

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?  

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!  6. What are your goals for this game jam?

For returning jammers:

7. Any advice to new participants?   

8. What can the admins do to improve your jam experience?   

9. What are some of the past works you've made for the jam? Show off your favorites!   

10. Got any question suggestions? Let us know for next year!

(+2)

1. Hi ! My name is Clément, I am studying geology in France

2. No I haven't

3. I really loved Celeste and Hyperlightdrifter, and it's discovering this indie world of gaming that I came to know of gamejams and gained this envy of creating my own game. I also loved Hollowknight So I guess I know where my game is heading, if I find the courage to do it !

4. I only have tested GameMaker and only fooled around with it a little but other than that I have no prior gamemaking knowledge. I learnt to program a bit i school on Scratch (lol) and then on Python but we never got really far

5. I am passionate about learning languages and music ! Though I don't think this will reflect in my game. It's fascinating to learn about foreign culture through its language, then to be able to access more directly to their cultural products ! And this goes perfectly with a love of music !

6. My objective is to learn more about gamemaking and programming, know how to use gamemaker. Also I would like to test my creativity and my ability to finish a project

Wow, we have had almost the exact same experience with game making! I used Scratch quite a bit in middle and early high school, and then I was taught a little bit of Python later in school. Just graduated this year, and I'm starting to try out learning GameMaker. Celeste and especially Hollow Knight are also some of my all time favorite games, and I've heard good things about Hyper Light Drifter, but haven't played it myself.

I've never made a game with someone else, but if that's something you're interested in, I might be interested in doing a group game-project for the jam with you. I'm interested in trying out group programming/design projects, and it could work better with others with similar experience. However, I'm from the USA, and I also don't know yet how group projects work because I don't have a ton of experience with GameMaker. Because this would be my first real game I make, I also won't have much experience with virtual group projects. But if a collaboration might sound interesting, let me know!

Hi ! Well you should definitely try out Hyper Light Drifter ;) Anyway, sure I'm interested ! Let's talk about this on discord

Deleted 347 days ago
Submitted(+2)

1. Hello, everyone! My name is Alden. I'm a current Simulation and Game Development student in the USA, and I love making games!

2. I've never been in a game jam, but I've heard how much fun they are, so I decided this would be a good place to start.

3. My favorite game of all time is Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It was the first game I truly fell in love with, and I play it still to this day(when I have time of course). I have many other games I enjoy, such as Rust, Rainbow Six: Siege, Minecraft, and all Call of Duty games.

4. I have just over a year of experience in game development, all from school. I have done some level design in Unreal Engine, however, most of my experience is with Unity. Additionally, I have published 1 game, which I have shared on my itch.io page.

5. I am very passionate about video game development, all sorts of exercise, my dogs, and my car. My goal for this jam is to push myself to see what I can accomplish in two weeks, have a ton of fun, and see what others can come up with in the time span.

Submitted(+2)

1. I'm Durvin, a former librarian and current house-husband finally pursuing a lifelong interest in game design. 

2. I've never been in a jam before and in fact this is my first time actually trying to make a game; my goal here is to really learn a program and get involved with the community, since I know very few games are made by one single person. 

3. My gaming background is purely retro, especially the Sega Genesis era, although I think my all-time favorite might be "BurgerTime", of all things. My current fixation is on shmups, though, especially weird ones like Parodius, Cho Aniki, Boogie Nights, and Harmful Park; the Twinbee series' player design especially inspired my main project, which is like a shmup but instead of a gun you just get melee weapons, and my plan for the jam is to make a prototype that I can then expand into the something bigger. (I've been documenting my design process on Tumblr at https://www.tumblr.com/starstabberzirc if you're curious.)

4. No real experience yet! I've dipped my toes into GameMaker and GBStudio and am part-way through a Coursera class on Unity, but so far it's not coming easily and I'm hoping I can get some guidance or mentoring through the jam. 

5. Outside of game design, I love linguistics and art history. The latter might come into play with my game, since I'm hoping to use a quirky collage style for the graphics.

6. My goals for the jam are to actually learn how to actually make a functioning game and to get involved with the community.

Submitted(+2)

1. Heyo! My name is Olivier and I'm a composer. I'm graduating from community college with my AA this month,  then I'm transferring to FAU for Commercial Music Composition. I'm hoping to get my Master's as well, but I'll see where life takes me.

2. I just made this account today lol. It's always been my dream to write a soundtrack to a video game, and I feel like something like this could help me fulfill that. 

3. There are so many to choose from! But here are a few: Bioshock, Undertale (as well as Deltarune), Battlefield 1, Rayman Origins, Kingdom Hearts (every single one they've ever made lol), Ib, To The Moon, God of War, and Ragnarok. To name a few. The most inspiring are Undertale (for its music), God of War 1, as well as Ragnarok (for its beautiful story and gameplay), and Kingdom Heart (just because I love this franchise so much).

4. I have no experience in game development whatsoever, only stuff I learned in YouTube videos lol. I understand the craft just not how to execute it myself, but I'm more into the sound design and music process so I don't really concern myself with it.

5. I'm passionate about music, everything about it. It's one of the most beautiful art forms every human can understand. The fact that music can be used as a storytelling tool in video games makes it even more amazing. I have over 6+ years of experience in Ableton Live and have been composing music ever since I got it. So while I'm not too fond of the other aspects of game dev, music theory, production, and composition are where I'm strongest.

6. My main goal is to learn, that's all really.

Submitted (3 edits) (+2)

1. Hi! My name is Chris and I'm a musician and composer.

2. This is my first time participating in the game jam and I want to develop my skills writing music for games.

3. My favorite game that inspired me as a kid to want to make my own was Banjo-Tooie.  Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and Zelda: Breath of the Wild are also favorites of mine.

4. I created one game in Unity in a game design class I took in college.

5. I'm very passionate about writing music. I have a background in coding, but realized I have more of a talent in writing music so am interested in pursuing that area further. I come up with a lot of melodies in my head and have hundreds of voice memos with these ideas saved. I plan to use these as material. I play piano and guitar.

6. My goals for this game jam are to progress my knowledge and experience creating music for games

I'm looking to join a team so if you're looking for someone to write the music for your game, feel free to reply to my post.

(+1)

1. Hi everyone! you guys can call me Slime! I'm a beginner game developer and I wanna get better at what I do.

2. I never participated in a game jam before, this is my first one ever. I wanted to join to improve my skills and creativity. 

3. I love games with a nice gameplay loop, for example Dragon Quest Treasures, or Stardew Valley. I also love RPGs Dragon Quest being my inspiration.

4. I took a class in Game Development for a semester at my current university, i have developed 2 games so far. I use Unity to make my games as that's what I have, most experience with.  

5. I'm passionate about coding and watching things I make come to life. For example, I made these enemies for Chicken Run: Rehatched, one of my games, and watching them do what I coded them to do and seeing them in action was an amazing feeling.

6. My goals is to just learn more and push my skills as a game developer. I want more challenges and more reason to keep developing more and more games.

(+1)

1 Hello, My name is Ben and I’m musician and composer in the UK           

2 No I have never participated in a Game jam, and I joined because I love games, and composing for  them seems a fun new way to be creative musically

3 The list of games I love is pretty endless, but the main ones that came up when I read the question were Diablo 2, FF10, GOW, CSGO, Pokemon

4 I have little to no experience with any engines, although I have been working with WWise and FMOD to get to grips with how they work, but would love an opportunity to implement some of what I’m learning.

5 I’m pretty passionate about Music, Climbing and Videos games. So if anyone wants to do an immersive cinematic climbing game, that pretty much ticks all my boxes

6 To get involved and start my first game jam, and meet people who share common interests, and ofc make a game!

(1 edit) (+1)

1. Greetings, folks. My name is Asher. I am a legal professional by day and writer/indie dev by night! 

2. This is my first jam ever!

3. I think Shadow of the Colossus is my biggest influence. But also the game that made me realize I could do this is Ratchet and Clank...however I chose to pursue the legal field instead as an adult. I have some experience in the indie author space under a different pseudonym. But also, speaking of books, they are an influence as well.

4. I've gotten decently far in the Unity learning pathways. I'm experimenting with learning Unreal right now. I've done little practice games but not much. 

5. Gaming (duh), reading (my favorite book is Howl's Moving castle and its sequels. But also the Dune series (I haven't read past Chapterhouse....). 

6. To complete a game with a viable game loop. I am probably going to go with Unity but I'm also going to see how much I can speed run learning Unreal until the jam starts cause I would love to try and move forward with that.

Submitted(+1)

1. hello! I am Alexander and I am currently studying game development in the Philippines

2. Nope but I am hoping to participate in more jams in the future!

3.  I like a lot of hack and slash games (DMC 5 series), some free roam such as RDR2 and the Legend of Zelda: BOTW and TOTK

4. I barely have any experience with developing games however I know a bit of dame dev sides and how games are supposed to be made

5. I am passionate about following my life and wherever it takes me.  Also very passionate about fried rice. 

6.  I hope to immerse myself in the world of game development and be able to adapt to this lifestyle. 

Submitted(+1)

1. Hi there! Myself Mohit, I am a Game Designer

2. No, But I am here to sharpen my skills. I am currently exploring game jams and looking to collab with teams and improve my designing and communication skills within the team.

3. Well, I would say Dota 2 is my initial favorite, as its characters build up, has always inspired while game designing. 

4. I have Studied Game Programming and have worked with studios to produce hypercasual games. I am coming back to this industry after a year break. I am currently comfortable with working in unity, but i also have experience in unreal engine.

5. I am here to create unique and fun games. 

6. My blades are dull, after a long break from this industry, wanna sharpen it up and looking forward to meeting new people. 

Submitted(+1)

1. Hello I am Aquababy hailing from SoCal.

2. no

3.I really like games such as hollow knight, terraria, factorio, skulls of the shogun. I want to make games that are inspired by these but with a twist.

4. Using Godot at the moment, Im trying to make various small projects to learn the tool/gamedev.

5. I am passionate about the ideas and underlying information in games and gamedev, I like to learn how something is made.

6. I want to make a game that is playable and fun and maybe meet new people or find a team.

(+2)

1. Hi I'm Vlad :D

2. No I didn't join the last one, I'm joining this one cause I always wanted to try making games but never succeeded.

3.  Infamous second son was dope af, the story, moral, and all-around gameplay were amazing. Also one of the first games I truly played, can't say it inspired me so much as to make games though.

4. Nothing :D

5. movies, games, books, all sorts of media, also the idea of peace and rest :)

6. To make an ok game 

(+1)

1. Hi! I'm Woody, a Games & Programming student in Perth trying to get into indie game development

2. This will be my first game jam, I've been meaning to get on one for forever, "My First Game Jam" sounds like the perfect jam to start!

3. Hollow Knight, Little King's Story, Abes Oddysee, and Slime Rancher, I have a huge interest in games clearly developed out of a passion for the project!

4. I've been studying/working in Programming and deevlopment for a couple years now, although with nothing to show for it.   Godot Engine is easily my favorite of the engines I've tried.

5. I'm passionate about passion! My goal in life is to get big enough to become a start up / publishing & networking house for people who are passionate about their fields or ideas! Since university started it's been difficult to find time for hobbies though I'm sure that once upon a time I enjoyed baking cakes

6. To get started on Game Jams and get into this as a regular thing, to potentially network with & join the community, depending on my free time, and to start getting things done to fill out a portfolio and get ontop of that process!

Submitted (3 edits)

Hey, I'mYakuzet. I have recently graduated from high school. I have had previous attempts at making games, but this will be my first serious project with a group.

This will be my first game jam,  my first game jam is perfect jam to start!

It's hard for me to say what my favorite game is, but generally speaking, The Witcher 3, Max Payne, Dead Cells, and Mindustry are at the top of my favorite games list. The game that has inspired me, particularly for this jam, is Buddy Simulator 1984, which was the reason I decided to participate.

I have never developed a completed and complex game before. Due to my lack of drawing skills, my games have always remained unfinished or I gave up on them. This will be my first attempt with a group. I made my first game using Gamemaker Studio 2, then switched to Unity, and later started using Unreal Engine 4. Now I am using Unreal Engine 5. Since I have previous experience and awards in filmmaking, I strive to create visually appealing scenes. I have constantly been developing text-based games throughout my life using .bat extensions and some visual novel creation programs.

I have been passionate about game development since the age of 11, and finally, I can take a real step towards it. Actually, if someone were to come and ask me what I truly want to do, game development wouldn't be my number one answer. Unfortunately, due to my injury, I had to give up basketball, which was my primary focus, and I turned to software development as my second choice. I have always enjoyed creating things ever since I can remember. I constantly write stories, directed films at one point, and always strive to produce something. Game development feels like the most wonderful thing for me, as it allows me to effortlessly and fully immerse the player into the story. Although the story I wrote for the competition may not be as good, next time I will showcase myself with a story from one of my notebooks. So, my passion right now is dedicating all my writing to game development.

my goal is to meet new people, gather a few individuals with the same goal, and create a game together. Presenting the story I have in hand in the best possible way and offering enjoyable content that can be savored.

Submitted (1 edit)
  1. Hello! My name is Phyllis.
  2. I have not done any kind of game jams before, and decided to join this one as an introduction into game development.
  3. I tend to only like casual games like Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley. They really only inspired me to create my own characters and art similar to that kind of vibe. Unfortunately was obsessed with the Borderlands franchise before, and it still is pretty dear to me.
  4. I do not have any experience with game development, other than Code.org and Scratch assignments in school. I've only ever made what the assignment asked for, never really my own thing.
  5. I'm really passionate about creating stories and writing! I also really like drawing, and have been for as long as I've remembered.
  6. I plan to make an actual functioning and entertaining game, along with a simple storyline and characters.
(+1)

1. Hey everyone! My name is Hiba. I am a 2D animator, illustrator, and motion graphics designer.

2. I've never participated in a game jam before, this is my first time. I've always wanted to step into the gaming industry, and I think this is a great opportunity for that. 

3.  Animal Crossing on GameCube was my first game ever, that's what got me loving games. But Watch Dogs 2 was the one that really inspired me to think about joining the gaming industry. 

4. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in game development. 

5.  I'm passionate about creating different types of stories that focus on characters,

6. I plan on finding a team who I can help out with my skills, and create an entertaining game. 

Submitted(+2)

1: My name is Tim, I live in Connecticut, US

2: This is in fact my first game jam. I've been messing around with GameMaker on and off for a few years, during which I've made a few 'proof of concepts' and I hope to use game jams to practice finishing games.

3: My 3 favorite games all inspired me to make my own, those being Civ IV, Dark Souls, and Fallout 2.

4: I've been using GameMaker for a few years now. I appreciate the works Heartbeast,  Shaun Spaulding, Gamemaker Rob, and Sergeant Indie on YouTube as they've taught me how to use the software.

5: I am passionate about both music and games with a will to create in both areas. 

6: My aim for this Jam is to get into more Game Jams. I want to use jams to get better at all aspects of making games (especially art) and eventually publish my own game.

Submitted(+1)

1: Hello! My name is Omar

2. I've never participated in a game jam before, this is my first time. I've always wanted to step into the gaming industry, and I think this is a great opportunity for that. 

3: I dont play Game, i've got My Game Idea from Youtube and other Indie Games

4: I've been using Godot,  I've made some games; Top_down shooter, 3D Dungeon Game, Etc.

5: I am passionate about Shaders,

6: to Start my game jams way and practice

(+1)

1.  Hi! My name Mikita but call me Silent Dude,I am budding artist.

2. This is my first time participating in the game jam and I want to develop my drawing skills for games.

3. My favorite game is Fallout series,Darkest Dungeon,Dark Souls 1,Castle Crashers and South Park The Stick of Truth.This games inspire me made my games.

4. I created only one game on RPG MAKER MV.

5. I am passionate about creating games, drawing art and comics.

6. My goal is to learn how to make games and find a team with which we will create games.

(+3)

1. Hi there! Our names are Gabriel and Alessandro. We are two composers from Italy and we write Orchestral and electronic music.

2. This would be our first game jam and our goal is to gain knowledge in the videogame area. We are already familiar with middlewares like FMOD Besides that, we would love to build some solid relationships with active ppl to build a team for future possible projects.

3. We love Rpg and Adventure games, but we are into every kind of game.

4. We don't have any experience with game development, but we have some experience with implementing our music in Unity using FMOD. 

5. We love to create the right ambiance.

6. Our goals for this jam are to get used to the game jams and to try to build a full soundtrack for a lil game.

Submitted (1 edit)

Hey there guys! I'm from Italy too!

How fun to see Composers having a go at game making! I'm really curious what you come up with.

Also I'm currently working on two Adventure Games with very small teams and... well, we're gonna need a soundtrack, eventually! ^^" I'm curious to see what your music style is.

(+1)

Hi, if you want we can talk somewhere else. Here there is our Instagram page where you can find a link to some library music to listen to. https://www.instagram.com/ironsteelsound/ Besides this adventure-like genre you hear there we can do more cinematic-like music and even aggressive electronic in the style of cyberpunk 2077.  

Deleted 342 days ago
(+1)

I'll be interested to see this.

Submitted (2 edits) (+2)

1. Hey all! I'm Salad, and I like making games, currently living in Italy.

2. I didn't participate in the last jam, sadly.

3. My personal favorite game is Empires of the Undergrowth. Been a big fan of it since their leafcutter update, and it got me into game development and entomology.

4. I do have experience, mainly making half-finished prototypes in GDevelop. I've tried out engines like Unity, GameMaker, but GDevelop is my go-to option for making games. Simple and stream-lined (i think that's the right word).

5. I LOVE entomology, the study of insects. Ants in particular are my favorite insects.

6. I want to try developing a game with a new game engine for this jam. Particularly GameMaker Studio 2 is one I'm interested in trying out.

Submitted(+1)

Hey Salad! I'm from Italy too!

Good luck trying out Game Maker Studio 2!  I expect to see lots of (intentional) bugs from an entomologist game maker! ;)

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

1. Hi everybody! I'm David. I'm a comic book writer from Italy but in the last few years I've been flirting with game making so here I am! 

2. I never participated in a Game Jam but always thought they were a cool way to encourage creativity! I've been creatively slow lately for personal reasons, so I thought this could be a change to give myself a deadline on a small project.

3. I like many kinds of games but my faves tend to be puzzle oriented. I like straight up puzzle solving like Portal 2 or strategic turn based combat like Invisible Inc or Dicey Dungeons.

4. I've created a few physical card games and board games as a hobby. As far as videogames go, I taught myself Ren'py (and Python) and recently started a Unity project with a friend. As of now I've never really completed a game aside from a few really clunky test projects. I'd like to get more into game development as I think I could be decent at it.

5. I'm really passionate about mental health awareness and stories/games that make you think and introspect while also being fun. I believe stories and games can really affect people in positive ways and I'd like to be part of that with my comics as well as with my games.

6. I want to make a Deck Building Turn Based conversation simulator. I will decide what it'll be about when the theme drops.I have a rough Idea of how I could pull that off in Ren'py. I'm not expecting it to be very pretty or polished as I have a dayjob which will prevent me from really giving it my all, but I want to honor the deadline with a playable and completable game.

Good luck everyone and remember that we're here to better ourselves. Even starting a project or getting ideas for one will be a successful experience.

(2 edits) (+1)

1. Hi! My name is Paul (Pavel). I'm a software engineer (Go, C#).

2. I've never participated in a game jam before. I like the gaming industry, and I think the jam is a good opportunity to take part in game development. 

3.  The Witcher 1 is the most important game that inspired me and showed me that games are an art. Also I love Hades, Divinity Original Sin, Journey, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption 2.

4. I don't have any experience in game development. 

5.  I'm passionate about creating different types of stories and good mix of gameplay and story.

6. I want to make a game and deep into game development process and maybe meet new people or find a team

Submitted(+2)

Sup, I'm Joshua!

Nope first time joining any game jams

my favorite game of all time is team fortress two, although ironically games I don't like tend to be my main inspiration for making games, taking parts i like from then and making a experience that I enjoy more.

I have tried making things in unity but I've never completed of released any of them.

I'm passionate about  the human psyche and how it connects to the media we consume, and how it all contexts to make specific user experiences and how the games we play inspire and influence us.

my goal for this jam is literally just to finish a project and release it publicly in a state I'm happy with.

I like TF2 too.

Hi! My name Silent Dude,I'm looking for people to join the team, do you want to be the first in my team?

Discord: silentdude01

(+2)

1. Hello! I'm Fangs. I'm a first year university student studying computer science and specializing in Interactive Media and Game Design :)

2. This is my first game jam. I've gotten a little inspiration to make a smaller scale game on my own to improve my skills and play around with an actual game engine, especially since my school doesn't use any game engine for our projects

3. I like a wide variety of games. Games like borderlands and bioshock intrigue me with their action driven storylines and their riveting world building and game play, but also the simpler games like metal slug and mega man carry a certain charm with their simple mechanics and instructions. I also dabble a little with playing ttrpgs, mainly d&d.

4. As of now, I've done 2 group projects in school, a top down puzzle rpg and a physics based platformer. These were coded in C and C++ without the use of a game engine. For my part, I focused mainly on movement systems and some sound and graphics design. There were a couple of pre-written libraries to help us with the graphics and sound integration. I've played around with the godot game engine but never got around to actually making a game in it. 

5. I am actually quite passionate about both music, stories and games, so when all three are combined, I get quite excited.  

6. My main goals for this game jam is to create at least something interactable with the godot engine, and maybe create a few soundtracks/sound effects for the game.

(+2)

Hello, I'm chops. I'm a newbie to game design but like everyone else I've been playing video games my whole life (first console was a Sega Genesis).

This is my first game jam.

I really like this new wave of rogue-likes and horde survival games on Steam. Vampire Survivors and Brotato are favorites of mine. I like simple games that have deep item and skill synergies, and I like discovering the different combos and builds you can make. Brotato is what inspired me to try the Godot engine for this jam.

I have very little experience with game development outside of a few classes in school. 

I like starting projects more than finishing them, so my first goal is just to finish lol. My day job is IT support tech so I'm also looking to improve my scripting/coding skills. 

-chops

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

1. Hi there, my names is Petar, im a math student and sometimes i code for fun

2. I never did a game jam and right now I have some free time for the summer break so I thought it would be a perfect time to join a game jam.

3. Some of my faves are: Super mario world, Zelda BOTW, Celeste, Portal 2. I am inspired by interesting level design and nonverbal storytelling in games.

4. I cloned some easy and simple games in unity, started making a brand new 2D platformer but got stuck at the design and movement of the main character.

5. I would like to make games that I would like to play and which take interesting new perspectives on old concepts. I really like that in GameDev you have to know a bit of everything that goes into a game so you be creative and it's never boring.

6. My goal for this game jam is to make a simple game that is fun to play and that I made all (or at least most of it) from scratch.

I wish all best of luck and happy jamming!

(+2)

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself?

Absolutely! My name is Dean Thomson, I am a proud Australian from Melbourne. I've spent the prime years of my life carving out a career in game development and music. Throughout my middle-aged journey, I've juggled these two passions of mine and have managed to seamlessly blend them in my work.

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining?

I have not previously participated in a game jam. However, when I learned about this one, it piqued my interest. I am a firm believer in trying new things and exploring different horizons. I view this as a wonderful opportunity to dive into a collaborative and competitive environment that a game jam offers.

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own?

I have always been captivated by games that prioritize narrative depth. Games like the 'Tex Murphy' series, 'Snatcher'/'Policenauts' by Hideo Kojima, and 'Narco' have had a major impact on me. They've shown me how video games can transcend traditional boundaries to deliver compelling narratives that rival those of films and literature. These experiences have sparked my desire to create my own games, telling the kind of stories I'm passionate about.

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine?

Yes, I have a wealth of experience in game development. Over the years, I've worked with multiple indie studios, where I've honed my craft and explored various aspects of game development. Currently, my tool of choice is Unity, but I'm always open to experimenting with different engines. For instance, I've been eyeing the Godot engine recently, and might consider trying it or something equally unique.

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about!

In addition to game development, I'm deeply passionate about film development and music production. I enjoy the process of creating something from scratch and bringing it to fruition - whether it's a game, a film, or a piece of music. There's something incredibly satisfying about shaping an idea into a tangible product that can captivate audiences.

6. What are your goals for this game jam?

My primary goal for this game jam is to create a short, cinematic, narrative-driven adventure game. I believe in the power of stories and I want to craft a memorable gaming experience that takes players on a journey. I am excited to work within the constraints of the game jam, as I believe they will push my creativity and technical skills to their limits.

(+2)

1. Hey there! My name is Marceline. I'm an artist and animator. I went to Art Center to learn fundamentals. I've loved video games since I was a kid, so I'm excited to learn how to make them! 

2. This is my first game jam. I've heard of them before but they sounded kinda intimidating (the ones where you only have a few days for example), but this one sounds beginner friendly. So, I wanted to give it a shot!

3. I LOVE story heavy games, I was a bookworm as a kid that's probably where it comes from. Games I enjoyed and find inspiration from are Undertale, Night in the Woods, Sally Face, Little Nightmares, Bear and Breakfast, Yakuza 0, Dream Daddy, Monster Camp, and so on. 

4. In terms of game development experience, I am a mere child. However, I've been learning to use Ren'py and have been enjoying learning how to code. But I'm also curious on learning how to use Godot or Game Maker. And I've been working on making an outdoorsy game, similar to Bear and Breakfast and Monster Camp. I'll be making a new, more simple game for the game jam though. 

5. I'm not exactly sure what kind of game I'd like to create yet. I'm still brainstorming. I do know I'd like to keep it simple, keep it silly like Yakuza or Monster Camp, have some fun artwork. I want to learn how to program some fun simple minigames. I'd also love to meet other game devs (Secret: I think composers and coders are very cool, meeting another artist would also be lovely :3)! Possibly work on a team. 

(+2)

1. Hi! I'm Joel and I'm a digital artist !! Sometimes I do a bit of coding for fun and make websites with hidden buttons that do things :) 

2. I haven't had much experience in being a game dev at all and this jam just came into my email! Delighted to be joining for the first time ever!

3. I really like RPGs in medieval or cyberpunk-like setting, but I know that it takes a great deal of time and effort to even come close to making a good RPG. The genres that really inspired me to try and tackle a game on my own are point-and-click adventures (The Night of The Rabbit is wonderful) and visual novels (ZERO ESCAPE series my eternal influence!). Favourite trope - little guy (gender neutral) doing stuff :) (Machinarium, Hollow Knight, etc.). I enjoy all games alike though, if its cool its cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I am currently developing my own visual novel in Ren'Py (started in June), and tried RPGMaker (a long time ago) !! I think this jam would be a cool opportunity to try something complex via Ren'Py or even try another engine.

5. I love silly things and serious things combined! Very passionate about story twists and intentionally hiding information from the viewer/player until they go out of their way to find it. I ENJOY all forms of having fun and making things, except music! I'm completely clueless on how music works or is made and I'm grateful that there are composers out there doing the best work possible. (heart emoji)

6.  I have zero ideas about the project I'm going to work on, but being a coder or an artist would be fantastic. Mostly I'm just searching for a community or even a future team for other projects!

Good luck everyone ! :)

Submitted(+2)

1. Hello everyone, my name is Meinhard, and i live in Faroe Islands and im 14.

2. No i did not. I joined this game jam out of interest because i haven't been in a game jam yet and this one looked really enticing.

3. Kerbal space program and factorio. Yes they did inspire me to make a game.

4. I have some experience with unity, python and c++. Mostly Unity, and i have made some small projects.

5. Math and science i love it since it makes me think alot about what i need to do to get the desired outcome which is also the reason i love programming since it requires alot of thinking to make something work.

6. To complete a game(probably a small game) and hopefully a fun game.

Submitted(+2)

1. My name is Kyle, I work in Healthcare IT where I do a lot of database administration, database queries, and front end EMR app development.

2. I have not participated in a game jam before or a code jam for that matter. I have two reasons for joining. One: I want to dive into the world of game development as a side hustle and hobby. I love playing games and developing programs and applications, looking at how code interacts with other parts of code and what not. I also love making a little scratch to feed my kids and perhaps save for their college. Two: I am currently looking for team building exercises for my fellow programmers at work to do and thought a code jam would be fun. I want to try one for myself first and see what it would be like and come up with some ideas to bring back to work.

3. I've played a lot of video games since I was a kid back in 1993 so I couldn't tell you my absolute favorite. I can give you a list of what I am playing now: Diablo 4, Oxygen Not Included, Risk of Rain 2, Civilization VI, Infectonator 3, Cuphead, Vampire Survivors, Kingdom Two Crowns.

4. I have a bit of experience in developing a game although I have never published one. I have written a lot of my first games in Scratch and I still regularly use Scratch to write mock ups and proof of concepts for games or when testing logic workflows. It's a lot easier to see the workflow of a giant "if/else" statement when it's all made of Lego like bricks. I have coded a couple of games in python, and I once tried to code a visual word guessing game in C++ and that was quite difficult but very rewarding in experience.

5. I love automating workflows, tasks, and making stuff. When my first daughter was born it sparked a passion for creating things for her to enjoy. It's one thing to buy your child a toy, it's another thing to craft it yourself and hand it over to them saying you made it for them. My children also inspire me to make video games as well for them to enjoy. I have made a few educational games in Scratch for them to play with.

6. Learn a bit about the indie game industry and dip my toes into game jamming to get an idea for a team building exercise at work.

(+2)

Howdy everyone! Im TheAmbientFort or Ambi for short

Im an aspiring audio designer thats looking to put out enjoyable works, this is my first jam

Terraria, Bioshock and Yakuza are some of my favorite franchises easily(Yakuza specifically got me to take storytelling more seriously)

I am actively working on learning the ins and outs of unreal engine(im welcome to any pointers at all and specifically just audio design tips)

I just want to learn how to make incredible audio that can help the player feel at home in the worlds i create, this jam is just the first step

Thanks and goodluck!

-Ambi

(+1)

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself? 

Hi! My name is Raquel, I'm from Spain.

i'm completely new in all of this. I'm in full change of life and I wanted to learn something new that allow me to be creative.

My brother send me the Ren'py web and I thought it would be fancy to do a game with that!

So I spend the last four days learning a full and creating a mini game. Now I want to expand my new knowledge making something funny and new.

Nope, as I said, I'm just starting^^ 

I saw it this morning and I thought it would be great. If I have a community and a dead line I definitely can finish a project

My Inspirations are Princess Maker 2,  Ikemen Sengoku and Monkey Island

I only use Scratch and Ren'Py so far.

I love reading (it's embarrasing, but I'm kind of addicted to isekai lately) and roleplaying. Actually I thought that maybe I could use all my hard work as dm in videogames.

To prove myself I can develope a full game!

1. Hey! I use the name Wing online, and I'm a beginning Game Developer, although I'm an Accounting Major by day.

2. I didn't participate in this one last year, but I did do a Game Jam last year and really overextended. 3 days for your first project in a new engine is NOT a good idea, so I'm hoping to actually FINISH my game this year. =D

3. I could name a million games right now, but currently, F-Zero, Metroid, Pikmin, Terraria, Minecraft, and the Siactro lineup (Toree) are on my mind right now.

4. I'm learning Godot now, but in middle school I did mess around with Scratch as my first experience.

5.  I've recently fallen in love with PC building, I even built the computer I'm typing this message on! It's such a cool feeling to bring hardware and software to life.

6.  To finish my project. I want a FUNCTIONING game at minimum. If I have the time, I hope I can use my animation skills to make it look pretty good.

(1 edit)

1. Hi! My name is Mauro, you can call me also Dag, however you prefer 

2. I haven't

3. Undertale and Stardew Valley are a great inspiration for me, I would love to make something with the same heart and vibe

4. I have some experience with Unity. I define myself as an all around game developer, though I need to improve alot in programming

5. I'm a really curious person so I figure out new passions for myself every day. The staples are reading, Dungeons and Dragons, composing music, singing karaoke and theatre.

6. I want to meet new people and make awesome games together. I'm down for anything, as long as there is passion and commitment

Submitted

1. Hiya! I'm Izzy!

2. Sadly, I haven't, however I wish to gain experience in game jams from this one!

3. I really enjoy indie games, particularly ones from game jams (which encouraged me to join this one!)

4. I started off (which might sound silly) on developing Roblox games with Lua for my younger brother. I have just recently, in the past week or so, begun to develop using Unity, which I really enjoy!

5. I love musical instruments and science, but I won't be exactly incorporating that into my game :)

6. I mainly want to prove to myself that I can make a fun game, something I have wanted to do since I was little.

Hi. My name is Mykola (1). I collected a team what wanted to try our best on creating a game. (6)
It's our first time to even create game and participate in any GameJam (2).
Every each of us actually love different games. I personally love logic and puzzle games, but sometimes i just going into shooter (FPS)(3).
I actually tried to create games previously, but right now i decided to use another engine. It's a Godot. (4)

1. Hi there, better late than never! My name is Greta and I'm a recent comp sci graduate.

2. No, I haven't. This is my first game jam!

3.  I really love grand strategy games like Civilization, or strategy rpg like Fire Emblem.  I've made my attempts with grand strategy and only got as far as generating random maps. It's daunting! 

4. Some, but definitely limited. Beyond simple stuff made with the program Alice when I was younger, I've done a hackathon focused on game dev with friends, a year-long school project to mixed results, and a little phone game with a friend as a summer project which we never released. So I'm hoping to learn more! All the previous were done in Unity so that's what I will be using.

Aside from games, I really love birds and birding. My dream job would be contributing to bird conservation with my training in computer science.

Most of the games I've worked on have been pretty static, I would like to be able to program in some randomness and enemy AI if possible. I think it would be really interesting to learn. I also really like art so I'd like to have fun learning to make some cool-looking sprites (2D games for life!).

1. Hey! I'm Sillas Silva. Nice to meet you! I'm a musician, producer, and sound designer based in San Francisco, CA.
  2. Unfortunately, I couldn't participate in the last jam, but I'm excited to join this time! I want to challenge myself to create more immersive soundscapes and experiment with different audio techniques.
  3. My favorite games are those with a style similar to GTA, PUBG, and WatchDogs. The open-world experience and the freedom of exploration in these games fascinate me. They truly inspired me to delve into the world of sound design and create immersive sounds for games.
  4. I haven't done any game development before. But I'm really good at sound design! I love creating cool sounds and music for stuff. This game jam sounds exciting 'cause I'll get to explore game audio and learn from others.
  5. I really, really love sound design! It's like magic - using sounds to make special experiences, bring emotions, and make stories feel real. Whether it's cool sound effects or awesome soundtracks, I always enjoy exploring the endless possibilities of sound.

1.  My name's Adrian and Gabriel,  you can choose.

2. No, this is my first one and I do it for fun.

3. Minecraft and Elder scrolls skyrim, but they did not inspire me.

4.I have no experience in development and I made a game called fisher in Rpg Maker mz.

5. Not passionate but I do like to draw, I'm thinking of making my own assets in the future.

6. My goal is to finish my game.

1. Hi there! What's your name? Want to introduce yourself? - Hello! My name is Marina and I am a first year software engeneering student

2. Did you participate in the last jam we held? If so, what do you plan on doing better this time? If not, what's your reason for joining? - This is my first ever jam, and first ever game. I figured cause I have more spare time now during the summer I might as well spend it learning something new  

3. What games are your favorites? Did any of them inspire you, or made you want to make your own? - I still haven't exactly figured out what kind of game I'd like to make, I plan to wait for the jam theme and then I'll figure it out! But I am a huge fan of story-driven games, whether it's a visual novel or an RPG (no specific game), so I might go along the lines of that!

4. Do you have experience with game development? What did you do/with what engine? - 0 experience with game development :)

5. Tell us about something you're passionate about! - Drawing!

6. What are your goals for this game jam? - Incorporate my previous programming knowledge into something I've never tried before - game development!