Skip to main content

On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
TagsGame Engines

How did the Gamejam go? What was you guys's experiences?

A topic by fractyll created 27 days ago Views: 132 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Submitted

Let's discuss about how it went for others

Submitted

For me the first 2 days went well. As the deadline came closer, i started to stress more and more because of the features I still wanted to add. I didn't quite get all of them into my game, and the game does lack the theme more than it should. I'm happy with what i created in those 72 hours, and I'm excited to see who (based on the ratings) executed it best.

This was only my second game jam, so the pressure of making a game so quickly was definitely an experience. Creating the art was a bit taxing, but it turned out that one of our team members didn’t finish the code in time, so it didn’t matter in the end. :/ Even so, I’d absolutely do another one. I love playing fast-paced, speed-run games, and making one is just as exciting. 

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

I know that feeling, on my very first Jam when I did StarV3, my team also put a lot of effort but the programmer disappeared at middle jam.

He appeared on last moment, acted quite bad with the rest of the team, published the game lazily unpolished and don't even added us as authors on the Itch.io page.

So the game have, pretty pixel graphics but all bury, handmade interfaces but all buggy and half of the sound library missing.

It was still a great experience since even if the programmer failed us on making during a week a extremely simple game that anyone could do on a day following a tutorial, the rest of the team enjoyed making assets together and I got deeper into GameJams.

Check my creator page, you will see all cool games that I released after that 👌🏼✨

Submitted

This was my first game jam and it was so fun! I probably learned more in the one weekend than I did in a whole month of messing with Godot. It's helpful to have some constraints to focus what you need to learn and then implement. Super impressed with what some people have managed to create in a long weekend.

Some things I think I did well:

• Ordering the functionality and implementing what was most important first. My game only has 3 levels but everything works including leaderboard which was tricky!
  • Sticking with my core gameplay mechanics and not trying to add too many different things
  • Reusable assets

Could have done better:

• brainstorm more ideas
  • Add sound
  • recruit some play testers to give feedback in the middle of development
Submitted

I feel I performed well in this game jam and I challenged myself by making all the art as SVGs, but I sacrificed too much sleep to get the programming done. I also wasted time making things that I would then later cut from the game: 10 different ship designs, 1 entire map, and a script that makes pseudo 3D walls. I don't think I'll do a jam again where I am making all the art myself, it makes things too stressful. I used most of the first day for just brainstorming and planning which I think paid off so I'll do it in future game jams as well.

Submitted (1 edit)

First thing first, since I'm trying a different artistic technique for each game (pixel art, 2D, symbols, etc..) this time I was planning on use Voxels.

When the theme came out we started planning and making a game about a crow that flies around looking for shinny scraps. But after 3 hours of making it, we decided to stop and rethink everything X'D

The openworld idea was too much, and I wasn't feeling comfortable with voxels, my friend was struggling trying to make the flying mechanics. Nah! Terrible idea, next!

So we thought replacing the crow with a robot floating on space and at the end we removed the space for closed rooms. Instead of Voxels I changed to low poly and this time felt way more suitable for the Jam deadline.

And honestly, I'm happy with the results, I don't think the crow idea could be that good and the game we got has also room for improvement.  

I enjoyed animating the robot arms so it looks more alive and making it turn and twist on the air so it feels like floating.

A bit annoyed because Godot's tilegrid caused some illumination problems and we could probably do a more nice looking credits screen, but beside that I'm really happy with the results.

Submitted

This gamejam went really smooth for me. I found this an hour after it started and decided to join. I instantly though about eating dead bodies in mediveal setting, so i created a ragdoll dragging logic and was playing around with it whil thinking about the game loop i wanted to make. The hardest part for me was making a balanced game, where it doest feel too easy, and user wont be able to last forever. i finished everything in 2 days i would say, and i am really happy with the results

Submitted

the jam was fun

Submitted

Well, this was my first Game Jam and also my first published game. Above all, I realized to focus on what is important. I had many ideas and I couldn't include even half of them. For this reason, although I think I have done some cool things, the final result is very chaotic and meaningless. Next time I'll try to focus on this.

Submitted

This is my second Game Jam, but my first time learning Godot. Just trying to understand the engine was challenging enough for me. I believe that the idea we have come up with was great, and I enjoyed working with my team who were highly motivated and focused on making something fun and immersive. The game idea was to dismantle scrapped objects and sort them into the corresponding bins. There were a few features that were missing, and a lot of bugs that could not be fixed in time due to the complexity of the project, and not understanding the engine itself cost us a lot of time. Overall my experience was that I enjoyed the past 3 days of constantly working on a game from start to finish, as well as creating an idea that everyone wanted to contribute to and resonated with.

(1 edit) (+1)

It was my first game jam outside of a shool project and also my first time trying pixel art, my team was the best I could ever find and I'm proud of them as much as I am proud of our game ! 10/10 experience for me ! Hope everything went well for everyone too :D

Submitted

hello good! For me it was quite a challenge, since this is not only my first jam but it is also my first video game and I did it with basic programming knowledge and together with my girlfriend. I must admit that at first I thought I would have plenty of time but in the end some bugs were left there, especially in the final boss, but even so I am happy with the result. good luck everyone!

Submitted

I gained a lot from this competition. I encountered many interesting works, each with its own unique features! Of course, I also learned a great deal; the experience I gained from this competition will significantly enhance my development in the future.