Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Your experience taken from this jam!

A topic by 1AM TRAIN created Aug 07, 2020 Views: 197 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 12
Submitted

How did this jam impact you as a game developer?

Was this your first game or maybe even your first gamejam at all? I would love to hear from you guys what you learned from participating in this game jam.

I personally learned from participating, that it is generally a great thing to finish a game in such a short time, because it pressures you to keep an eye out on everything that makes your project whole. Instead of developing a game over several months for example, this speedy process taught me to set proper priorities and work towards them, rather than taking a long time for a minor feature. Some other things I learned is that it's okay to know where your weaknesses are and where to stop.

Submitted(+1)

From previous Jams: 

- Every experience makes participation worthwhile

- Every jam game is a potential portfolio piece :)

- Planning is key. Keep the scope reasonable and set deadlines for design, first stage production and an MVP :)

From this Jam:

- A small idea can turn into something much more fun and refined :)

- Level Design is extremely long and not my forte haha :)

Submitted(+2)

-Every day i thought I finished everything I needed to but every day I ended up staying up until 2 on something stupid that broke

-Spaghetti code is really fun to deal with

-Playtesting a puzzle game (each person can only really test it once) sucks

Submitted(+1)

This was my first jam and I can say that more than anything, I learned just how important it is to scope your game correctly for the jam. I remember reading a lot of tips for first time jammers that told me to make sure I was scoping correctly. And honestly I thought I did, but man was I wrong lmao. At the very least, I had a lot of fun participating in this jam and I'm looking forward to the next ones.

Submitted(+1)

This is my first Jam and also my first game. Had other prototypes but never really finished a game. I learned a lot incredibly fast! Thats what i take from this Jam. Now i can handle unity much faster i know the basics and i dont have to be watching videos all the time like i did a few weeks ago... It also made me very agile in C#. So many great things. I have not build it yet so here i go.

Also I really need to work on art design...  i suck at that lol 

Submitted(+1)

lol me to

Submitted(+1)

Here here! I am no artist and honestly not great, but if you hack at it long enough you will get to the point you can prototype decently :) And it's easy enough to fill that gap with either a few paid assets (I love all things Synty!) or free ones :)

Submitted(+1)

i learned i need to rely on my strength to get past my weaknesses 

i also learned i suck at art lol, but a great programmer 

Submitted(+1)

It's been fun really overworked myself since I was on my own. But it was worth getting something done that I'm proud of. it's been a good first game jam.

Submitted(+1)

My first jam and my first complete game (a game that has a complete game loop and working menus, sound, etc...).  This was a fun experience and I hope to keep going with it.  I am curious about the feedback from my game when others get to play it as I want to know what people think about it and ways i can improve upon it.  I am extremely proud of what I did even though it is extremely short lol

Submitted(+1)

don't kill myself with redbull next time, scope smaller instead of trying to make an AAA experience :)

game turned out well, i feel like death

Submitted(+1)

I mostly rediscovered the importance of good sound design, and diegetic UI.

It also helped me refocus on things I usually leave until the end of a project, such as main menus.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

It made me want to never do a week long jam ever again, it was exhausting. I really enjoyed it though. My game should be out in some minutes, after I get some screenshots and a trailer, and maybe tomorrow morning I'll add some final details

Submitted(+1)

I'm exhausted and not even happy with my game. I think I'll stick to 48-hour jams in the future.