Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

How to handle post-jam updates

A topic by Samm79 created Jun 03, 2023 Views: 267 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

Hi, I've gotten some great feedback over the last few days on how to improve my game from the jam and I would like to make some updates post-jam rating period. 

This is my first game jam, so I just don't know the etiquette of what to do post-jam with updates. Should I leave up the jam version as it's own separate game and create a new game with the feedback and improvements? Or would it be better to just still offer the jam version as a download on the game page and update the game page itself? 

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

That's a good question. I was wondering the same thing myself. I think you should do what works or makes sense for you, since it's your game. After the jam is over, I don't think you'd be obligated to preserve the jam version as is unless you want to. I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say about it, though, because this is also my first jam.

Submitted (1 edit)

I agree that you should do what feels right to you. Once the jam is over there are no restrictions and I'm not aware of any etiquette on the matter of updates.

I left my own game from last year's jam completely untouched, even leaving a very quick to fix bug that I still remember is in there. It had a lot of problems during development, so if I wanted to make something similar to it again it would be better to start over fresh.

This year I do plan to fix a lot of the bugs from the jam version and add a number of things I had wanted to put in or thought of afterward. I'll still leave the original version as a Windows download and the old WebGL build as a zip for archival purposes, though I highly doubt anyone will be looking at them after Monday. :)

Submitted (1 edit)

Since itch (I think) allows different versions of the game to be kept in the downloads section, I'll probably leave a base "as submitted" version then another with bug fixes, and maybe a third which has some quality of life (such as a photo sensitive option since it has a lot of flashing neon lights).

Otherwise, I plan to make a full new version of the game as a separate project as the "Scratch" edition while I work on one I can release as a full retail release in Godot.

Submitted(+2)

Thanks everyone! I think I’ll probably end up making the changes and leaving the gamejam version up for download, but having the playable game be the updated version. I really appreciate the input from everyone. : )

Submitted (1 edit)

After the jam is done, you are free to do what you want with it... make sure you get your free course before you do though

(It is your game... yours do decide what to do with... :)   im already working on a full version game to replace the gamejam one eventually..