Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Post your progress!

A topic by Impy created Feb 08, 2023 Views: 1,695 Replies: 52
Viewing posts 1 to 15
Submitted(+5)

I'm sure that there all sorts of games in the works at this point. Now that we are one whole week into the jam, it's time to share some early development screenshots! If you want to keep your project secret, that's fine too, maybe post a blurry teaser for others to figure out. Don't be shy to ask for feedback if you're not sure about something, this is a good opportunity to get some early advice.

For my own project this year, I am making a city-builder with auto-resolving platformer battles.

Your super-powered girlfriend will walk through a town that you have constructed and fight any villains she encounters during her patrols.

Sketches for some of the characters I want to include. These were drawn prior to the start of the Jam.

Now lets see what you've got! Share some of your early work! Go as in-depth or as light and mysterious with your descriptions as you like!

Submitted (2 edits) (+4)

Oooh amazing! I'm doing a furry BDSM club management, kind of a builder too X'D
There isn't much visually, I'm still implementing all the mechanics: building club, mails, save/load, manage people, furnitures to have sex.

Submitted(+2)

Oh wow, that's a really ambitious game to make in 3D, but I know from last year that you've definitely got the skillset for it! Can't wait to see it in action!

Submitted(+2)

I remember yours very well toooo! I'm super excited XD

(+2)

It's looks amazing ! I'm excited to play it !

Submitted(+3)

I had my idea, which for now I am keeping to myself, 3 days into the jam.

I am a complete unity3D novice, tho I am a published researcher with a CS degree so hopefully this shouldn't be too hard.

Currently I am still getting all the parts of a minimum viable prototype together (about 50% complete), with other features to be added afterwards.

Submitted

That looks nifty! I like the pixelated normal maps, those are cool. Very curious to see how it plays.

Submitted(+2)

Low-res simple geometry with pixelated normals is definitely an...unusual art style, and one I just kinda accidentally fell into, but I think it adds a lot of depth to otherwise flat cubes.

Plus it (and the spheres) makes my game look way better than Minecraft with relatively little effort

Submitted

Nice job on making it work, I've never had much success with low-res normals myself.

Submitted(+1)

It's pretty simple in my opinion.

When creating your textures, think about which parts would be raised up above the surface of the object in question were it in the real world. Once you have the texture saved, make a second grayscale texture with white being the raised parts and black being the crevices and stuff. You then import it to unity, set it to convert the asset to a normal map (make sure to check the create from greyscale box), and have the texture remain the same as the source file (32x32 is the smallest size unity allows).

Be sure also to resist the urge to bake any lighting effects at all into the regular texture. That's what the normal map is for. Your regular texture should only encode albedo.

Submitted

Thanks! I just haven't played around with normals in Unity in general lately, I remember it being awkward and not really lining up with the light directions half the time. I'm guessing they streamlined the process a lot over the years. 

Submitted(+1)

My minimum viable prototype now sits at ~70% completion. My next order of business is to beef up the asteroids and enemies. After that, who knows?https://youtu.be/FczVdWk27nM

Submitted(+4)

I'm working on a spin-off of a spin-off in GB Studio. I shan't give too much away just yet apart from this shot right here:

Submitted(+1)

I love those sexy pixel ladies! The hearts replacing all of the o's is a really fun touch.

Submitted(+1)

For context, that's the same lady in two different poses...

She's the protag 馃憤

Submitted(+5)

hey, i've been working on a game that's set in a spooky haunted manor, where you have to do maid tasks while avoiding the traps all around the manor! i wanted to capture the vibe that i used to see in spooky rpgmaker games hehe

Submitted

I think you've nailed the aesthetic! Discovering the various danger spots will be a lot of fun!

Submitted(+2)

I actually haven't made much progress on gameplay yet, work's been getting on my way. But I can always find time to draw and here's a small preview of what I've animated so far. She's a bit ticklish.

Submitted(+1)

Fantastic facial expressions, I'm looking forward to finding all the different ways to interact with her! I really like the colors, they fit together wonderfully with the dark background.

Submitted(+1)

Thanks, nice to know. I got plenty of expressions made for her, I'll try to use as many as I can.

Also I really love your character sketches there. You always make such cute designs with great variety and diversity.

Submitted(+2)

I always aim to have a range of characters with different body types and personalities in my games, something for everyone. Happy to hear that you like them!

(+2)

The animation is fluid and really niice ! I'm curious about it

Submitted(+2)

I have a working title and most of an engine. Not much gameplay to show off yet. But here's the main menu with a group shot of the cast, sans player character:

Submitted

It's already got a very different look and atmosphere than your previous titles in the series. The realistically proportioned character sprites will be a good stylistic fit for mystery game!

Submitted(+2)

They all look amazing!!

Submitted(+1)

Working on an idea for a monster girl story. My themes were simple, monster girls, pajamas, lesbians.
i've been working on it since the 3rd and nearly done with the main story's writing

Submitted(+1)

Looks like you'll have some fun personalities to bounce off each other. Nice work on getting the main story finished by the halfway point, that's a really good spot to be in!

(+2)

This sounds and looks so cool!!

(+1)

I鈥檓 a bit behind but I鈥檓 working on a Gameboy style game about being a brat and getting (consensually ofc) chased through the woods!! With a bit of queer monster loving thrown in :] here鈥檚 the tile set I just finished for it!

Submitted

The aesthetic and concept seem like a very good match, I'm definitely getting some of those dark forest vibes from the tileset!

Submitted(+3)

I'm making Solship, a visual novel about space pilots fighting aliens! Almost decided to drop it in the first week but now I'm in too deep...

Submitted

Really like how the dark purple outlines look on the character portraits! Combined with the backgrounds they give everything a playful but somewhat mysterious look. I also love those outfits, they've also got the right mix of formal and fun!

Submitted(+1)

very nice. we could always use more science fiction space adventures XD

Submitted(+3)

I haven't been working a lot cause of life stuff and what not but I think it's turning out pretty good.

Long story short it's an interactive game where you go around the town and help the towns people out, when they are satisfied with your help they will "Reward" you with some nice visual stuff (Not sure if I will animate or not, depends on how long I work on it).

So far I have 5 characters, 3 of which have sprites and another (at least) 3 more planned characters.

Submitted (1 edit)

What a wonderful, colorful style! This looks like a very inviting environment to explore! The sprite style is fantastically cute, and the difference in heights can result in some very interesting situations. I'm a big fan of the bunny, nerdy characters with big round glasses are among my favorites.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Thanks! This is probably the first proper top-down game I've made so I'm rather happy with it. Also yes She's my favourite at the moment too, hence why she's my pfp at the moment :3

Submitted(+3)

Just a little update in case you're interested, Starting to get dialogue in:

Submitted(+1)

Very nice portraits!! OwO

Submitted(+1)

i like this style a lot. XD

Submitted(+1)

I actually got it uploaded WOO, was a bit of a close call but thank god! Have fun you guys and enjoy everyone's games!

Submitted

Very nicely done! Can't wait to play it. I'm just getting ready to set up my own game's page right now!

(+2)

It's so cuute ! I love the artstyle and the characters ! I love the fluffy brown one (it reminds me of Ralsei hehe) !

Submitted(+4)

Hello!
I think it's about time I post an update here as well. ^^

I'm working on an RPG with some naughty elements.
I haven't figured out the story completely yet, so I'm currently focusing on getting the code to work.
Was a bit late on joining this jam (like solid 2 weeks almost) so it feels like I'm quite behind.
To get things done in time, I rather do the art more crude and come back later for cleanup.
Anyways, here are a few progress shots.

Submitted(+2)

very nice. i like what i'm seeing so far

Submitted(+1)

Admirable to see that you didn't shy away from a complicated concept even while starting late! Even the simplified artwork is looking very neat already!

Submitted(+2)

It's gonna be great!!!

Submitted (3 edits) (+2)

This.

Because there's inherent comedy in a game made out of pixel art also going so far as to employ a pixel filter... 馃槅 

(sorry about the background flicker; no idea what happened there... 馃え)

Submitted(+1)

That looks great! It's not easy to make low-res sprites with just a few colors, and you're doing an excellent job of it.

Submitted(+2)

Reminds me of the days I played on the older gameboys ^^

Submitted(+1)

馃榿

Submitted(+3)

Hey! Hadn't posted anything yet :)

I'm making a game about a Demon who runs a Bath House/Onsen for other fantasy creatures, kind of a kinky Management Game. It got out of my scope pretty quickly so it'll probably just be a proof of concept for this GameJam 馃槄

Happy jamming :)

Submitted(+2)

It looks fantastic, even if it's just a proof of concept for now! Three days before the deadline is almost a full game report instead of a progress report, but I'm very happy to see it all the same!

Submitted(+2)

I love the art direction OwO Super cool mood