On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

I've noticed a big migration away from Unity.

A topic by Miniature Giants created 26 days ago Views: 229 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 15
Submitted(+2)(-1)

It's been pleasantly surprising to see how many games in this jam have been made with Godot. In fact from the games I've played so far it feels like it might actually be the dominant engine this jam. Maybe I'll have to check it out! The forums here dont appear to have polls, so comment below - which game engine have you used this Jam?

Submitted

I had noticed that as well it's nice to see, we used Godot 4.2 for ours.

Submitted(+1)

Godot all the way ^v^

I have nothing against anyone who decides to use Unity of course, but I've given both a good honest shot and I greatly prefer Godot. Obviously it isn't perfect, but if you're interested, it's well worth trying it!

Submitted

Unity. Is unity worth learning? Or should I switch to Godot?

Submitted

Unity, I am gonna stick to unity for now, but am also planning to learn unreal in the future

Submitted

this was the first full game made with Godot for me. I had lots of fun and I enjoy using it a lot more compared to Unity. I'll definitely continue, but I also noticed there are some parts that are not as developed as they are in other game engines like Unity or Unreal.

Submitted (1 edit)

I used unreal and i like it. Its games look the best. Its visual scripts are great for those not good at coding yet.  I tried godot also but the learning curve was to high for this jam for me. The game i made is a shmup called cybercity the last stand. https://itch.io/jam/gamedevtv-jam-2024/rate/2750526

Submitted

I've stuck with Unity, didn't fancy trying to learn a new engine and develop a game in the same week :D

Submitted

I used to like Unity, and it’s without doubt a great engine in various aspects, but Godot is taking my attention I have decided to keep improving using it. I use Godot 4.3 alpha in my entry.

Submitted

I have used Godot for most of my Game jams here, just because I am more familiar with the Python-like script "GDscripes" and to be honest - its have a blast to study it!

Submitted

I use Godot for the first time for this game jam.

Maybe I still don't know much about Godot, I feel its not easy to maintain a larger indie size project. I would still use Unity for my personal game projects.

At work, with bigger team for bigger project, I would prefer Unreal Engine.

Submitted

I used Godot for the first time this jam. I worked many years with Unity. i have to say it's refreshing and very fun to use. I think that Godot has a brilliant future as an open source engine. I think it will be a leader of the industry like did Blender. Godot has my full support !

Submitted

We also used Godot for this game jam, and it was a great experience working with it. Since I'm most comfortable with Python, GDScript was a perfect fit for me.

Submitted

I started my journey as a Indy Dev with Godot, technically It started with roblox as a kid, but I didn't start until after unity changed it's pricing structure, and being honest I studded C# in collage so unity might have been the better option when it comes to a language that I know almost everything about.

but for the sake of having an option that was free and open source, we decided to try starting with Godot, and Ive learned to love it 

as someone who would like to make a switch game one day, it might be smart to do some unity projects, but hopefully as community support grows(and it is growing massively), we would be able to get more console support for this foss engine

Submitted (1 edit)

A few years ago I looked at Unity, even started trying to make a game while learning, life got in the way and it got put to the side.

Then, when the licencing fiasco broke out, I learned about Godot, started learning again and found Godot more usable.  I also find a good perk to it is that it is open source and hopefully free forever (if I ever make it big I'll probably donate to it, but it's 1 less thing to worry about).