On Sale: GamesAssetsToolsTabletopComics
Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What progress have you made on your entry?

A topic by Richard Pettigrew created Nov 17, 2020 Views: 886 Replies: 84
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Submitted (1 edit)

The jam started today. Did you start to code before the start date or did you wait until today like me to start?

How far have you got so far?

What challenges have you hit with Adventuron?

Submitted(+1)

I waited until today! Hopefully I can get some designing in tonight!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

I spend a lot of time on design before I start coding. I started designing as soon as I heard about the jam. I had this really interesting idea, but couldn't work out how to make it into a game, so I started writing up lists of things related to Christmas. To cut a long story short, I've now come up with something completely different to my original idea. I've drawn a map, populated it with objects and characters, worked out the story and the objective and lots of intertwined puzzles.

A significant part of the game requires the player to gather information from characters and elsewhere. I'm working on this aspect now. I hope this works smoothly in practice. There will be plenty of in-game hints, but it does require multi-word input.

I've been prototyping this in Inform 6 and the game plays well, so far. I'm hoping to finish the prototype in a week, then I'll port it to Adventuron. Graphics are my weak spot, so I need to allow plenty of time for that.

Host

I only have one question.

Do you need containers?

Submitted(+1)

Of course. And supporters.

Submitted

I sense a pattern...

Submitted

I've had a go at my first graphics... They feel to me a bit Subsunk / Seabase Delta esk to me...

Host

Classic vector graphics look good to me.

The purpose to me (at least) is to give the player a sense of geography.

Will you have a version of the graphic with an open cooker / open cupboard?

If so, you should check out the "overlay" command (in the cookbook).

Submitted

Haha that would be nice. May be possible but I'm already having to make people suffer a graphic location. I dont want to uspset them even more!

I'm not going to make any promises!

Submitted

Ooh! Nice! I worked on graphics last night too! 

Submitted

Nice one - thank you. Good luck!

Submitted

Looks great. Just be careful of perspective. For example, the handles on the right should face the other way, ] rather than [. The cupboards have no depth and look like they're painted on the wall. To fix that, the cupboard on the left should extend a few pixels to the left of the corner of the walls and the one on the right should extend a few pixels to the right of the corner.

Submitted

Thanks. I knew it wasn't perfect but I'm no artist. I might fix it if there is time, but I've got 11 others to produce and I'm finding them the most stressful part of the jam. 

Submitted

I know what you mean. Pixel-style graphics don't come naturally to me. I have to work hard at it, but it is fun in a masochistic sort of way. Just allow plenty of time to allow for all the false starts and discarded images.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

My kitchen got a redesign... It is a lot better now. I'm sure the artists among you could improve it but I am at my create limit!

Host

Very nice indeed Richard.

You really undersold.your skills.

Submitted

They have really been a challenge for me!

Submitted

Very nice. Mine will probably be in a similar style (ala 'The Witch's Apprentice' and 'Charlie the Chimp'), but I haven't started on the graphics yet.

Submitted

Looks great Richard. Nice work. 

Submitted (1 edit)

I've started before the jam's beginning. I was reading the documentation and the tutorial, and then I had an idea and preferred starting right away instead of waiting.

I said in the "introduce yourself" topic that I had almost finished the coding, but finally I needed to add a puzzle and I still have no idea for it, so the pace slowed down. (Also, I haven't done anything in the past couple days, for diverse reasons.)

Trying to force myself now. After all, they'll be the graphics to make, too.

Host

Good luck!

Once you know how many graphics you need, you can can choose a style that makes it possible to draw them before the deadline.

Submitted

Yeah, I think I’ll stay simple.

I spent the last few days testing various styles and searching a palette on the internet.

I’ve settled to a resolution of 40 * 12 px. I first tried the smallest resolution suggested by the rules, 80 * 24, but it was too many pixels for me so I divided the dimensions by two! :p

Host

40 x 12 is a fun resolution. Over here! used a 40 x 12 and it worked well.

Over Here! used a resolution of 32 x 10 pixels.

Host

Trailblazer.

Submitted

I think I’m done coding-wise (in fact I’m done since a few days). I’m not overly satisfied with the game I’ve made, but I’m still happy I made something! :)

If I have time I may add a tutorial, but for now you can type HELP to get generic help and HINT at any point in the game to get a specific hint.

Now to the graphics!

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

I've got my adventure mapped out, the story is pretty much how I want it and currently have all the locations text done, and about half the location graphics, also done a lot of coding for the first part of the game (there's a two halves, first part you have to complete before you're allowed to the rest of the locations). I'm currently assessing whether I might need to scope the second half. The graphics are very time consuming I have to admit. It's all good fun though. I always love doodling. :)

Here's a sample...

Submitted

Looks great. It makes me want to play it just to see all the other graphics. You do have some spelling, capitalisation and punctuation issues in the text, though. Make sure you allow time for beta testing, if you can.

Host

Really like the look of this.

One thing I notice is that you use "You are" and "I see" interchangeably, so it's a good idea to decide on one or the other. The system messages can all be adapted to whatever 1st, 2nd, 3rd person, or otherwise.

I also notice that the image isn't edge to edge, which is a known formatting issue in Adventuron, so I'll try to sort that out soon.

Exceptional graphics, and love the font.

Submitted

Thanks. The interchangeability of "I see" or "you are" is a personal preference in my book. I like the mixture, I don't really like the repetitive nature of "I see a woodland path" and then the object list starts with "I see:" etc . For me the game itself is an entity, so its kind of got its own personality. Its telling you about your surroundings and items, certainly in this particular game, the game is kind of self aware, as shown with response it gave in the picture to the help request. ;) 

Submitted

Imagine you were writing a book and you intermixed first-person and third-person. No one would know what was going on. You MUST be consistent. Make a choice and stick to it.

Assuming you choose to use first-person, that doesn't mean that every room description has to start with 'I see'. In the example in your screen grab, it might say 'A path winds through the woodland...' This is where the art of the storyteller comes into play. However, the description must be consistent with the image. The description says the path goes to the west, but in the image, it clearly goes to the east, or maybe that's the north-east. So where's the west path? The line of lanterns only follows one path, presumably the north-east path. This is terribly confusing for the player.

All your images should be facing north. If they're not, you need to say so. Attention to detail is paramount.

Host(+1)

I don't think you need to be that rigid, especially with the orientation of the graphics. To be absolutely precise you'd need graphics for facing in each direction which is clearly not feasible. 

I think ultimately writing should be fun and not a chore. 

Submitted

Like Adventuron says, I don't think you have to be rigidly set as all images should face North. My compromise is when its not facing north I put in a leading text of 'Looking South you see....' so unless it says differently you can assume it's facing North. Just in some locations the more interesting visual can be in alternate directions. Thanks for highlighting it though. I've made the adjustments ;) 

Submitted

Coming along. Got characters in some scenes now. :D Part one of the adventure works now, with all its location graphics and puzzles right up to this guy. Bori the Elf. 

Submitted

Ha, ha. Love it. Bori the elf is on border control duty. Sounds like the theme of a reality TV show.

Submitted

ha ha ha Elf and Safety the show. ;)

Host

Looks like a lot of fun. Ideal for kids.

Submitted

Thanks fella. :) 

Submitted

Oooh! Nice! Great art! ^_^ I like the surly elf as well. :D

Submitted

Thanks. ;)

Submitted

Do you have time lapse videos or anything like that while you work on your art? 
(I just started learning pixel art just for Adventuron... so it's fascinating to me...)

Host(+1)

Nightmare on Elf street.

Submitted

ha ha nice one. 

Submitted

All but three locations have graphics now. Had a major push today and got 5 locations done, which is good going for me. lol. Changed the font too, to something more readable I think. Still looks chunky and fun though. :) Just got to get that last quarter of the adventure done. It's close now. I'm away after the 18th so I've got to get it done by then.

Submitted

You know, I'm recognizing your art style. It's on the Adventuron site, right? I remember first learning how to do pixel art when I picked up Adventuron and thinking, "How can I make art like this?!" I couldn't, of course, and had to do my own style, but I really like your art! ^_^

Submitted

That's right, Adventuron has used some of my work as examples. I do tend to have a very cartoon style when it comes to hand drawn art. It is pretty recognizable lol. Thanks for compliment. I will eventually get back to my previous adventure which I've been adding graphics too, but it was slow going, I'll finish it one day. 

Submitted

I think the cartoony style is great! How long does it take you to do an image?

Submitted (1 edit)

Well for speed I spent some time creating elements for the scenes. For example a window, wooden column, back wall etc. Probably takes an hour. Then creating multiple scenes from that is relatively quick, just have to concentrate on any unique objects in the scene after that. It can still take 30min - hour depending if you've decided to  draw 3 elves in the scene or not ;) lol

Submitted

Nice! Seems pretty quick to me. It takes me a long time too. :D

Submitted

I love this style of graphics, I wish I could be half as good. I'm looking forward to playing this one!

Submitted(+1)

Cheers mate. Hopefully I can finish it in time. ;)

Host

Absolutely beautiful art - again. I love the dithering on the barrels and the brilliant Christmas lights contrasted against the dark blue.

Submitted

I've had to tear myself away from a few interesting concepts because I wasn't getting enough good puzzle ideas. But a couple of days ago I hit upon a setting that I've managed to flesh out into a small adventure on paper. So far, in terms of coding, I've mostly been doing more thorough research/tinkering with Adventuron itself (I really flew by the seat of my pants, last time!), and I'm starting to get a feel for the design philosophy behind it.

At the moment, my opening text is about half-finished and it already feels rather long to me, so I'm trying to think of a way to get some of that information/setup into the game proper, perhaps as another puzzle.

The writing is a bit slow-going as I'm having to rewrite things multiple times to get them to feel sufficiently "Wodehousian" when I read them back... ;)

One of the challenges that I've had with Adventuron is with the documentation. There's a lot of good info there, but it's laid out very much in an order to be followed as a guide for a beginner (which makes sense), but I'd like more of a programmer's reference/overview. I don't know if it was as well-developed the last time that I used it, but I'm finding that the in-editor "Ctrl-Space" hint system is filling a lot of that gap for me this time.

Host

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the documentation. I think a more hardcore version of the document is overdue, but also arguably, the document is already too complex for beginners now, with all the extra information I've been adding.

I'm sure you are looking in the right place, but just to confirm, here are links to the documentation...

https://adventuron.io/documentation/

https://adventuron.io/documentation/cookbook.html

If you get stuck then feel free to ask a question.

Chris

Submitted

Oh, no worries at all! I consider the issue to be very much on me, and not on Adventuron Classroom! As you say, the existing documentation has some rather advanced material for beginners, even without looking at the more arcane examples in the "Cookbook". And as I say, the in-editor help is really doing the trick for me. I don't think that I properly understood how to use it, last time.

Submitted

Your last game was very good. If you wrote that feeling that you didn't really understand how to use Adventuron, then you should be congratulated.

Regarding your opening text being too long, it's good that you recognise that now. For me, I hate reading a long blurb at the start of a game, particularly if it's only background and not really relevant to the game itself. I just want to get in and play the game, not read a friggin' novel. If you can, try to give a bare bones introduction that presents enough of a teaser that it makes you want to play the game, then gradually reveal the story, and even the goal, as the game develops.

I'm really looking forward to playing all these games.

Submitted

Thanks for the compliment! Your game in the two-word jam was amazing.

I think I've got my opening down. I cut out several lines of waffle about prior events that I realised didn't impact the main story at all, and changed the introduction of a major character into a new area and puzzle at the start of the game. Now I'm down to 4 short paragraphs, most of which is a conversation.

Submitted

Thanks. Of the four Adventuron games I've published so far, I think 'Igor's Quest' is my favourite - despite the lack of graphics.  It was fun to make and I learnt a lot about Adventuron. For the current game, I'm learning a lot more about multi-word input and Adventuron's various quirks in this regard. It all adds to the challenge.

Submitted

I hear you on the programmer's reference/overview!
I made one if you're interested, although it goes out of date quickly. :D 

Submitted

Ha ha, yes, I've already noticed a bunch of significant new features that I'm sure weren't there a few months ago!

Submitted

I think I'm halfway on my entry. 

At least, I HOPE I'm halfway. If I'm less than halfway, I'd be very sad. If I'm lucky, I can get the bulk of it done this weekend. 

The Steam sale didn't help any...

Submitted

I have just managed to play my game to completion with a score of 100/100. Thank goodness for that. It's still pretty rough around the edges, but I can fix that later. Now I can start on the graphics.

Unfortunately, the very last move resulted in some sort of Adventuron internal error that has me baffled. The error is "DEBUGEXCEPTION: Class $S323: (InternalError): too much recursion". This came as a complete surprise, as the final chunk of code just checks the score. If you've got the full score, it does a print statement followed by a win_game statement. There's nothing fancy and I'm not doing any recursion anywhere. I'm using Beta 65n. Has anyone else struck anything like this?

Submitted

Not me, sorry!

But congratulations on game completion!

Submitted

I fixed it by replacing win_game with the deprecated end_game.

Host

That sounds like a bit of a nasty bug. I'll try to isolate it and fix.

Submitted

I think I might be done !

(Other than the hundreds of bugs players will find that I cannot)

Now to try and figure out how to actually submit it to the jam!

Submitted

Huzzah! Congratulations! :D I'm in the middle of beta testing! ^_^

Submitted

I maybe didn't do as much as I could have. I've fixed everything I've found. Users are great for finding the rest!

Submitted

They are. They point out all my spelling mistakes. All my puzzle mistakes.
All my mistakes in general. :D

Host

Well done.

I sent you a transcript of a little playthrough I had (via facebook).

Pro-tip:  load the transcript into Google Docs (or word, or libreoffice) to find the spelling mistakes (there are a few).

Submitted

oh! If we upload now, you will beta test for us? That's briliant!

Host (1 edit)

I will have a go and give early impressions. I'm a terrible player so I'm good at breaking assumptions.

You don't have to make it public either, you can set your page to passsword protected until you are happy to publicly solicit playtests 

Submitted

Thanks Chris. I've had a read and spotted a couple of niggles that are easily resolved. 

I see you got stuck, does that indicate an issue, lack of clarity or something else?

Host (2 edits)

I think you need to see more transcripts to know that.

I think the main problem I had is that I couldn't find any obvious puzzles except for feeding the reindeer and catching the fish. I could find lots of objects. Being aimless is worse than bring stuck. If I missed puzzles to be solved, maybe prod me? Timed prodding?

(4 edits)

The word ‘key’ doesn’t seem to work as a synonym for doorkey.
update:
I assume this is to avoid conflict with another key object.

update:
In stable:
Feed REINDEER
You are not carring anything to feed him with!
You cannot see a reindeer!

Submitted

Ooh, I have reindeer in mine, too. I'm sensing a lot of similar themes in these games.

Submitted (1 edit)

Some minor changes made this afternoon.

1. About 50 spelling mistakes sorted
  2. I've resolved the key thing, had too much going on. Its now simplified. 
  3. Reindeer issue also resolved
  4. Fishing hole logic updated
  5. Addressed concerns raised about number of objects that appear after use of Examine command. More obvious ones made visible. 

New version now available. 

Your version displayed with *credits is always 0.2.0. If you could update it, it would allow us to know which version we are testing.

Submitted

Noted for the next (inevitable) build!

The picture of your bathroom seems to have a line smoothing filter that the other pictures don’t have. It is a little blurred.

Submitted

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean. all the images we done in Windows Paint. I don't think it is capable is it?

Submitted

Newer versions of Windows Paint (since XP or Vista, IIRC) have all sorts of antialiasing features built in. Enough people missed using it to make clean pixel art that someone recreated the older version of paint to run in newer editions of Windows.

(1 edit) (+1)

bedroom vs bathroom.

Host

If you saved it as JPEG, it'll apply the smoothing. You might have saved it as a JPEG by accident.

For the image in questiom, you can try adding this to the base64_jpeg entry in the graphics {} section:

bathroom: base64_jpeg scaling_mode = "pixel_art"  ....rest of line here..... ;
Submitted

Hmm, there's bound to be a way to give you a transcript here... :D Anyway I can get it to you?

Submitted
Deleted 3 years ago